• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Sidestep to be Disabled (Comments Appreciated!)

agentad

Privateer
Storm Modder
Indeed I'm getting so sick and tired of people whinging about that despite it being mentioned everywhere that I'm wondering if we SHOULD get rid of it.
Or put an InternalSettings.h toggle on it that nobody but us knows about. So we can use it and nobody else has to be bothered by it. :boom:

i dont get why its a problem, i really like it ! am i teh only one liking the odd sidestep ? its so useful :D (to roleplay a jump from upper area for example !)

if people want a proper sidestep, they just have to leave that mod, its a sea rpg game damn ! who cares about that small detail ? :D !!!!!

No, you're definitely NOT the only one. I like it. Just people who don't care to read the FAQ keep going on and on and on and on and on and on and on
about how "weird" it is and how much the game/our mod sucks because of it.

just ignore that detail, people raging for a little sidestep but not for unrealistic sea battle in assassin creed ? LOL ! :D this mod is for the men who like it ! stupid report like this are not for us :p

i usually get that kind of report for my total war(s) / anno(s) / age of empire (3) and age of mythology (titan) mods , i just answer what i said last post to show how ridiculous are their report "sometime" :) i only consider the interesting report :p

they can play one of the four "CIII character" they have the proper age of pirate sidestep anyway !

answering just "original game did not have sidestep, why complaining ? o_O ", there will always be men raging for a detail

In PROGRAM\seadogs.c make this modification:
Code:
        case "Sidestep_left_on":
            if(ENABLE_CHEATMODE)
            {
                if(StraifCharacter(PChar) && CheckAttribute(PChar,"location") && FindLocation(PChar.location)!=-1) 
                {
                    CharacterPlayAction(PChar, leftAnimation); 
                    SideStepControl(-STRAIF_DIST, true);
                    PostEvent("Lai_EndAction", 250, "i", PChar);
                }
                else 
                { 
                    if(FindLoadedLocation()!=-1) SideStepControl(-SIDESTEP_DIST, true);
                }
            }
        break;
        case "Sidestep_right_on":
            if(ENABLE_CHEATMODE)
            {
                if(StraifCharacter(PChar) && CheckAttribute(PChar,"location") && FindLocation(PChar.location)!=-1) 
                {
                    CharacterPlayAction(PChar, rightAnimation); 
                    SideStepControl(STRAIF_DIST, true);
                    PostEvent("Lai_EndAction", 250, "i", PChar);
                }
                else 
                { 
                    if(FindLoadedLocation() != -1) SideStepControl(SIDESTEP_DIST, true);
                }
            }
        break;
Effect: The sidestep controls won't work unless you have the cheatmode enabled.
This will not remove the controls from the Options Menu though, because that would prevent people from switching it on/off on the fly.

Any thoughts?

True. But before that time, do what do you think of controls being in the Options Menu that now don't work?
We could add an explanatory log message when you press the button. What should that say?

it should say "enable cheat mode in internalsetting.h to use sidestep"

it wouldnt be a problem, it feels like when you cant draw you sword and it shows "hmm thats not a good idea" :)

Well i'm personally not a fan BUT i just deleted the controls for it. I can't see any need to do any elaborate programming solutions as this is THE solution to the problem if you don't like it imo.

i personally love it for roleplay like a jump from stair and so ! (also useful in some testing time)

For some reason when maneuvering the ship at sea using the A and D buttons a message appears saying sidestep is disabled and blah blah blah......:rumgone

Well i'm personally not a fan BUT i just deleted the controls for it. I can't see any need to do any elaborate programming solutions as this is THE solution to the problem if you don't like it imo.
Exactly this. If you don't like it, don't use it, it's that simple.
No idea what's the problem for those guys, that's the way how game options (or any other preferences) are intended to be used. But complaining seems to be cool, I suppose... :shrug

For some reason when maneuvering the ship at sea using the A and D buttons a message appears saying sidestep is disabled and blah blah blah......:rumgone
Ah, yes it would do that. Easily fixed; will be in the next version. :doff

Exactly this. If you don't like it, don't use it, it's that simple.
That's what we keep telling them. But they see weird sidestep + weird BuildingSet mod and decide our work isn't worth the light of day.
Which obviously is as unfair as unfair goes. But when other people see those unfair comments, they take them as being true.
We know better. But the people who are unfamiliar with our work do not. :facepalm

I see... Seems like that pesky problem, that a lot of people want everything for free and also as flawless as possible, without appreciating the effort, that was put in, or willing to help to make it better. In that case it should be like you suggested, but I'm afraid there will be complaints then, that there's no possibility of strafing without activating cheat mode.
Oh well, it's impossible to please everyone anyway, so... *shrugs*

That's why I'd welcome a better solution.

I see... Seems like that pesky problem, that a lot of people want everything for free and also as flawless as possible, without appreciating the effort, that was put in, or willing to help to make it better.
Yep, very true. And I'd even like to give it to them. But a bit of understanding and appreciation in return wouldn't go amiss.... :rolleyes:
And then there are the game engine limitations: Sure we WANT to make it awesome, incredible, amazing. But we can't get to the moon.

For what it is worth, I like the sidestep. You can some times use it in boarding to get behind the enemy like swinging on a rope.

:aar

Indeed I use it during boarding too, because my crew won't get out of the way. :facepalm

I double-checked the Dodge code, but of course that is hard-coded in the engine and cannot be seen nor touched by us.
Real shame; that would've been PERFECT for our purposes.

So anyway, who still has any major objections to Sidestep now being linked to the Cheatmode?

Erm, I'd quite like to be able to have it for situations where I can't get past a load of guys with swords drawn (*cough* boarding crew), without resorting to Cheat Mode.
If it could be an in-game toggle or an InternalSettings toggle, that would be fine by me.

Back