• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Sidestep to be Disabled (Comments Appreciated!)

I dont think that sidesteps should be included as cheats. They dont give you real advantages and so they are no cheats. Maybe you can link that option to disable/enable the sidestep in the additional game settings?

We can do that too. Do we need to make it an in-game setting? I always try to minimize the amount of those. :oops:

Can put it at the top with the Realism Settings. We could even link it to Arcade Game Mode PLUS have the toggle for people who want it in Realistic/Iron Man too.
How does that sound? Then at least you could toggle it in the game without us having to add a new setting.

Can put it at the top with the Realism Settings. We could even link it to Arcade Game Mode PLUS have the toggle for people who want it in Realistic/Iron Man too.
How does that sound? Then at least you could toggle it in the game without us having to add a new setting.

Wait, linking sidestep to Arcade mode? Isn't that bound to keep the complaints coming? :facepalm

Aren't they complaining about the lack of realism on the sidestep? :wp
At least with Realistic Mode being default, players have to enable it on purpose one way or another.
I can remove the Arcade Mode link though if people prefer.

i see it more like a setting that should be added in the end of internal setting (as cheat mode)

it looks like the best place for it for me

Aren't they complaining about the lack of realism on the sidestep? :wp

No, they're seeing it as a dodgy gameplay mechanic, because of the lack of animation and collision. :rumgone
More importantly, those of us that DO want to use sidestep shouldn't be forced to use Arcade Mode, in my opinion.

well you can switch it on in realistic and iron man mode?
Pieter, maybe I can add a note about this in "Tips&Tricks" ;)

I agree with agentad here, the best place would probably be at the bottom of the internal settings (and in my opinion it actually is some sort of advantage, when you're able to slide through everything, so... *shrug*).

No, they're seeing it as a dodgy gameplay mechanic, because of the lack of animation and collision. :rumgone
More importantly, those of us that DO want to use sidestep shouldn't be forced to use Arcade Mode, in my opinion.
Well, I DID add an InternalSettings.h toggle on that; indeed forcing people to use Arcade is NOT a fair idea at all.

I agree with agentad here, the best place would probably be at the bottom of the internal settings (and in my opinion it actually is some sort of advantage, when you're able to slide through everything, so... *shrug*).
Very well, that's where I'll move it. And remove the Realism Setting toggle. So you can no longer switch it on in the game.

I only used it very rarely, mostly to take myself out of a battle. It is possible to position oneself so that you can strike others but they can not strike back. So it is a cheat.

In Pirate_KK's code, the sidestep has been rewritten so it is no longer a slide, but an actual step that stops after a little bit.
The collision detection is still non-existent, but at least that DOES make it harder to get to sliding through walls, because you have to press the button over and over again.

Good. Last night I got sloppy with my button pushing in a tight spot and kept getting stuck halfway up a wall, and kept getting killed while trying to get back down.

In Pirate_KK's code, the sidestep has been rewritten so it is no longer a slide, but an actual step that stops after a little bit.
The collision detection is still non-existent, but at least that DOES make it harder to get to sliding through walls, because you have to press the button over and over again.

Sounds better than sliding around for sure. :onya
Might it be possible to trigger something like the 'dodge' animation at the same time? Or is that stuff hard-coded? That's the only way I could think to improve it any further.

I had thought of the dodge code too; it'd be PERFECT. But that is entirely hidden away in the game code.

If you're talking about merely playing an animation during the step, that is somewhat possible.
But only if you DON'T have your blade drawn. Wouldn't you generally use the sidestep if you DO have your blade drawn though?

I was only talking about the animation (though as you say, a proper 'sideways dodge' would be perfect).
Why does having your blade drawn prevent other animations from playing?

Back