• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Simplified Code for Build 14 Beta 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Gentlemen,

I have problems starting a new game with Beta 3.3

When starting "new game" and going to load screen, the game crashes to desktop in 9 out of 10 cases. I don't get an error log, but here's the system log:

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 180 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 54433944 ticks.
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value

Strange thing is, earlier this afternoon, I didn't have these problems. And, it also happens while loading a savegame.

Any idea what may cause this and what I can do?
I installed 3.3 over a working 3.2.
Now I'm thinking abut a completely fresh install.

Thanks,
Skyworm

Last edited:
Try deleting your options folder. That might get it working again.

The treasure quests are not doing so well. I am now at 5 out of 16.

Thanks Hylie, I'll try that. :aar
Um ... options folder? I don't find one in my install. Where is this supposed to be?

What do you mean with treasure quests not working well ... bugging, or empty chests?

Oops. It just says options. Not a folder. It should be just under engine.ini and will be rebuilt when you start POTC again. You will have to reset the options to your preferences.

Empty chests. I am used to having around a 50% success rate which would put me at 8 of 16.

Cheers Hylie,

yeah thanks, I misunderstood you the first time, and searched for a folder. But it wasn't a folder, just a file. Found it, deleted it, and now I can start and load games without trouble.

Great thanks.

:dance

You have already been there, done that but...........

I was over at MODDB and DLed a Half Life mod called Black Mesa. They use a two part installer as well and there are loads of complaints. I tried it and really don't know if it worked or not. Not good.

So I did a search and found it at a place called Softonic. They used their own installer and it worked fine. Gonna play it now to see if it worked.

I was over at MODDB and DLed a Half Life mod called Black Mesa. They use a two part installer as well and there are loads of complaints. I tried it and really don't know if it worked or not. Not good.
I am inclined to believe it is physically impossible to make a fail-safe and fool-proof two-part installation method.
Probably can't even do it for one part, but on any two-parter there is some sort of user action required that can either go right.... or not.
And people being people, it WILL go wrong for some. Even if it is insanely easy, straightforward and/or obvious.
In other words: You can't win. Not always. All we can do is to try not to lose too badly. :facepalm

@Hylie Pistof: I just had another look at the treasure quest generation code, but it does look good now.

Appearance of a pirate ship or a gang of pirates underway is not at all related to the treasure actually being there.
Used to be at some point in the past, but hasn't been for well over a year now.
Below rank 3, they will ALWAYS be there. Above, the chance decreases gradually down to 30% in the end.

Chance of treasure appearing at all is luck/11 . So you have 9% chance in the early game,
but once your luck gets to 10 you will have a 91% chance of finding something. Still a slight chance of it being a dud, though.
Average between the two just under 50%, of course, but that all depends on how long you spend at a certain luck level.

Size of the treasure is based on luck again as well and this is something I changed last month.
This INCREASES the chance of and size of the treasure, though.
Before the chance, even if there WAS supposed to be a treasure, there was always another extra 10% chance that it wouldn't be there anyway.
That is no longer the case.

If you do feel something has changed substantially for the worst, I can put some lines of code in there for checking purposes.
Then when you find another empty treasure chest, at least you'll know if it was indeed SUPPOSED to be empty or if some weird effect robbed you of your loot.

Cheers,

one short question:
With "quick repairs" gone, how is it possible to repair a ship while on sea?
There is still the repair skill, and it seems to work with planks and sail ... but how much can be repaired and in what time? I find it hard to estimate.

Another question:
How do I actually release prisoners? I just talked to an english captain in my cargo, and told him that I'll set him free once we reach an english island. I was at Barbados there, then, precisely at Gray Rock Bay. I expected him to be set free now ... but in fact, he is still in my cargo.
I hope I am not supposed to moore in an enemys port to set a prisoner free?

Thanks

Last edited:
With "quick repairs" gone, how is it possible to repair a ship while on sea?
There is still the repair skill, and it seems to work with planks and sail ... but how much can be repaired and in what time? I find it hard to estimate.
That should still be there? Possibly depending on the realism mode.

How do I actually release prisoners? I just talked to an english captain in my cargo, and told him that I'll set him free once we reach an english island. I was at Barbados there, then, precisely at Gray Rock Bay. I expected him to be set free now ... but in fact, he is still in my cargo.
I hope I am not supposed to moore in an enemys port to set a prisoner free?
You do need to go into a port. Just a shore will not do. Then talk to the guy.
You can ransom for 100% value at a port of his own nation, though that is probably a hostile port to yourself.
So instead you can ransom in a port neutral to him or a pirate port for increasingly less return.
The higher the risk, the higher the reward here.

Setting free should be allowed in any port though.

Hello Pieter,

thanks ... Quick Repairs is gone for me because I'm in iron man or at least realistic mode. The question remains: How exactly does the repair skill work?
I see my ship is repaired, but very slowly, and I can't say if it sails only or both sails and hulls.

Ok, so to set a prisoner free you need a port, not just a shore?

To get Quick Repair (and other lost abilities) back, go into "InternalSettings.h", find the variable "REALISTIC_ABILITIES", and set it to 0.

Repair skill will repair both hull and sails, provided you have the relevant supplies - planks for hull, sailcloth for sails. You need quite a lot, and it is slow even when your Repair skill is quite high. If you're in port and are spending a lot of time on anything else, e.g. handing lots of weapons to the blacksmith, stock up on planks and sailcloth. Each day you spend getting a weapon polished, you also repair some damage to the ship. Or you can go to the shipyard, buy an upgrade, or pay to get the ship partly repaired. While the shipyard is taking a few days to do its share of the repair, you're doing some more of it.

Ok, so to set a prisoner free you need a port, not just a shore?
:yes

Unless my memory is faulty. If necessary, I could adapt it to allow shores too for setting free.
But then you could still maroon the guy on an uninhabited island, which isn't exactly very nice.
And you DO get a reputation boost for it. So how should that be taken into account then?

Huh. I have quick repair in realistic mode. It is expensive at 4 skill points and I just got it at level 32 or so.

If you click on "ships" in your menu and then click on the hull or sails it will tell you what is happening.

Thanks Grey Roger. :ahoy

I just found another matter:
It's about that "Sink the pirate corvette" quest. I just played it in the "Tales of a Chevalier".

First, it seems the corvette is not where the wiki hints.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/wiki/sink-the-pirate-corvette/
In fact, I found it far east of Martinique instead of north.

2nd, I am not sure if a Aurora class frigate really fits in this era. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it should be repplaced by more fitting ships in the earlier eras.

2nd, I am not sure if a Aurora class frigate really fits in this era. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it should be repplaced by more fitting ships in the earlier eras.
That should be easy enough. In PROGRAM\Storyline\[Storyline]\characters\init\[SideQuest].c, find:
Code:
  ch.old.name = "Simon";
   ch.old.lastname = "Blunden";
   ch.name = TranslateString("","Simon");
   ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Blunden");
   ch.id     = "Eng Captain Near FdF";
   ch.model = "corsair1_2";       // Petros: was "Offic_eng"
   ch.sex = "man";
   ch.sound_type = "soldier";
   LAi_NoRebirthEnable(ch);
   ch.Ship.AI.GroupName = "England_Captain_Near_FdF";
   ch.Ship.AI.Task = "attack"; // KK was: "runaway"
   GiveItem2Character(ch, "bladeC12");
   ch.equip.blade = "bladeC12";
   ch.location   = "none"
   ch.location.group = "Quest_ships";
   ch.location.locator = "quest_ship_12";     // Petros: was "quest_ship_7"
   ch.Dialog.Filename = "falaise de fleur soldier_dialog.c";
   ch.nation = PIRATE;
   ch.Ship.Name = "Fast Death";
   ch.Ship.Type =    "RN_Corvette";       // was "Corvette1"
Give him another ship on that last line.

Some storylines might have this character defined in a different file, but he's there on most of them.
If you have alternate suggestions for each storyline, please let me know and I can adjust it for a future release.
Use the Select Storyline ship selection filter with ENABLE_CHEATMODE on to make the choice really easy.

Thanks Pieter!

Well ... the Aurora is described as mid 18th century. So, in my opinion she is fitting for both colonial powers and Revolutions, and maybe even Napoleonic, keeping in mind it's a pirate ship, and must not be the most modern navy ship.

That leaves us with Early Explorers, Spanish Main and Golden Age to search a replacement.
When switching throough tier 4 ships in these eras, I stumbled over Fast Galleons or English Galleons or War Galleons and ships like that. But, I consider them comparably stronger than the Aurora frigate, especially in terms of firepower. English Galleon carries 12 pounders, Fast War Galleon carries 38 18 pounders.
Much bang compared to Auroras 30 12 pounders. :pirate41:

A Light Fleut of War looks much better with her 34 12 pounders, that would be a good choice for Early Explorers and Spanish Main.
For Golden Age, I suggest a Sloop of War. While a bit weaker than the Aurora, I still think she is the more pirate style vessel.
Just my 2 cents ... :rumgone

Would you consider making the required code changes and posting the files?
I keep being extremely busy and that would save me some time.

I'll try ... doesn't look too complicated. Is it ok when I look into it tomorrow?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back