• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some questions, possible problems, suggestions.

Kharbydis

Powder Monkey
Over Thanksgiving I was able to go home and try out patch 7, and I saw lots of improvements. My game is much more stable now too.

Anyways, a problem I saw was that when I went to repaint my ship, every ship in the entire game was listed as a repaint option. So, I could by a Barque Longue and repaint it for free into the HMS Victory. I tried something like that, and doing so seemed to mess up the ship stats.

Now for some questions:
If I design my own flag, is there a way I can replace an in game flag with my own, and how would I go about doing that? (For example, if I wanted to replace the Polish flag with an Irish one).
I may not remember correctly, but I think the Master and Commander storyline is set sometime in the late 1700's in game? Jack Aubrey did not captain the HMS Surprise until 1805.
Concerning storylines, is it possible for me to code in a free play storyline for any time period? Like Jack Aubrey's, where there is no story, but for different time periods?

And some suggestions:
I don't really know about coding too much, so forgive me if these are impossible or something.
I noticed in harbors there is a great lack of civilian ships. I would be nice to see trade ships coming into harbors instead of only a few brigs sitting around.
Fishing/Whaling boats, perhaps a new trade item of whale oil. Fishing boats would be loaded up on food. I don't see how actually fishing or whaling as an income source could be programmed into the game, so letting you attack whalers or see fishing barques could add the atmosphere in without putting in the ability to fish or whale.
A way to abandon ship and launch a longboat would be useful, especially in those situations where I get derilicted out at sea.

I'm really impressed with NH so far. I can't wait to try out more of patch 7 in december.

Edit: One other thing: any hope of build mod/ new horizons ever becoming independent of having to buy POTC which is becoming increasingly rarer? That will become increasingly hard for future people, I no longer have POTC disks for example so I could not intall the base game again if things went weird.

Thanks a lot, mate!

All ships being available as repaint options is part of the ENABLE_CHEATMODE switch at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h . I thought I had that off in the Patch 7 files by default though. Or did you turn it on yourself?

You can use the TX Converter to convert the files in RESOURCE\Textures\Flags to an editable format, so you can put in any flag you want.

The Master & Commander "storyline" is not even remotely set up accurately, that much I know. I put in there because we had the Aubrey and Surprise models and we didn't have a storyline for that time period yet.
The starting location being the American island of Eleuthera comes from this being added after Build 13 with a new nation too, so that's a quick way to instantly test those additions.

For additional free play storylines, just copy the Master & Commander folder and files in PROGRAM\Storyline and edit your renamed "JackAubrey.c" file the way you want it with a program like Notepad.

The ships in harbour are the same ships that sail around the island. Since those ships can randomly be military or civil, both types should show up there.

Hmm okay. When I go home again i'll see if the cheatmode value is at 1. Sometimes I switch it on because of how extraordinarily terrible I am at sword fighting.

I've been playing POTC for a long time now and still haven't figured out how to capture a town... how do I do that? Sailing up and bombarding forts has not been successful, but maybe i'm not doing it long enough?

First destroy the forts' cannons, then you should get an icon allowing you to "board" the fort and take it from there.

Some more questions, this time about relations:

When ships surrender, do that change national relations like sinking/boarding them does?

Also I was confused by something. I was playing as an officer in the British navy, and I attacked some ships, taking a french merchant and an american frigate. For some reason, when I arrived back in port, the french had a -1 (neutral) relation with me, and my relation with the brits shot down from +30 to -60 (hostile). I was not flying a British flag when I attacked the french merchant, but rather I flew a french flag until I was at boarding distance and then raised a pirate flag. I can understand why the brits might be unhappy for me attacking their enemy while flying the jolly roger, but I am clueless as to why the french like me more now for taking a trade brig from them and a frigate from one of their allies.

I'm not sure, but I do not think so. Methinks nothing changes until you take possession of the surrendered ship.

Some more questions, this time about relations:

When ships surrender, do that change national relations like sinking/boarding them does?

Also I was confused by something. I was playing as an officer in the British navy, and I attacked some ships, taking a french merchant and an american frigate. For some reason, when I arrived back in port, the french had a -1 (neutral) relation with me, and my relation with the brits shot down from +30 to -60 (hostile). I was not flying a British flag when I attacked the french merchant, but rather I flew a french flag until I was at boarding distance and then raised a pirate flag. I can understand why the brits might be unhappy for me attacking their enemy while flying the jolly roger, but I am clueless as to why the french like me more now for taking a trade brig from them and a frigate from one of their allies.

It also happened to me this unfortunate thing... and now, with -60 with the british I can't go through the main quest and can't find a way to be friendly or at least neutral with them again... Sinking their enemie's ships raises the points but it is too slow, since it is on -60...

Do you know a way to solve this problem? I would like to do it without cheating.

Thanks!!!

:ahoy

Flying the pirate flag makes one an enemy to all nations. But some nations get more upset than others. The French are pretty easy going, while the Brits get very upset very easily.

You can still do the main quest even if the Brits are upset with you by going in the back door. You can also look around in certain taverns and find a diplomat. I have never done this with the English, but with the French you can talk to the governor and beg forgiveness.

I didn't find the diplomat, so I tried to beg forgiveness for the British gorvernmet and he said they don't forgive criminals. So I gave up and started another game, since I haven't done not even the first quest. Hahah

Diplomats can be found in the taverns in Pirate towns & settlements ( Nevis, Bonaire, Turks { think it is the governor here} , Grenada - Smugglers settlement )

:doff

Back