• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Standard Storyline Ship Use

Athena uses RN_Frigate in my game files, which is black and yellow.

Battleship3 uses the former Battleship4 texture.

9 years only? That's a rather short lifespan, isn't it? If we have to fit exactly within those years, she'll hardly get any use at all.
We'd have to be at least a bit flexible to be able to use her either in Golden Age of Piracy or in The Spanish Main.
She fits The Spanish Main perfectly, but considering the starting date (1680) of the Golden Age, I don't think she should be encountered in the latter.
I think she's currently set up to appear in Periods 0 and 1, with chances of 0.2 and 0.6 respectively, because she sort-of fits the earliest era too.

Nobody has complained so far. Haven't even seen much complaints about the red-and-black Barbados blockading squadron, which seems to me a worse anachronism. :shock
I like her current paint scheme and would find it rather unfortunate if she'd see no use as-is at all. :(
Not enough people with the relevant knowledge have read this thread (and replied) yet, that's my excuse. :razz

Anyhow, look at it this way: FR_Boussole is identical to HMS_Indefatigable except for the textures and figurehead.
The latter is used in the last time period (start: 1790), while the former is used in the third one (start: 1680). That's a difference of over 100 years!

How about this: we use a repainted version of HMS Unicorn for the role of La Boussole.
That ship is much closer to the right appearance of a ship of that period, and would look nice in French Royalty colours.
She's also of a similar size and capability to FR_Boussole, so would fit in very well.

As I said before, we can always repaint FR_Boussole to be used in the Hornblower storyline instead.

She fits The Spanish Main perfectly, but considering the starting date (1680) of the Golden Age, I don't think she should be encountered in the latter.
I think she's currently set up to appear in Periods 0 and 1, with chances of 0.2 and 0.6 respectively, because she sort-of fits the earliest era too.
Spanish Main still allows her to be used for Assassin and Bartolomeu, so that's fair enough.

Not enough people with the relevant knowledge have read this thread (and replied) yet, that's my excuse. :razz
Not to mention the thread didn't exist yet until a few days ago.

Anyhow, look at it this way: FR_Boussole is identical to HMS_Indefatigable except for the textures and figurehead.
The latter is used in the last time period (start: 1790), while the former is used in the third one (start: 1680). That's a difference of over 100 years!
True, that. But then what CAN we use the Boussole for at all?

How about this: we use a repainted version of HMS Unicorn for the role of La Boussole.
That ship is much closer to the right appearance of a ship of that period, and would look nice in French Royalty colours.
She's also of a similar size and capability to FR_Boussole, so would fit in very well.
That's certainly not a bad idea.

I was just thinking on what we still need to get done for Beta 2 and concluded that the most important thing is to get as much as possible all resources in place that we want.
Eg. we need to have as many ships as possible include already and as much as possible the models and the textures cleaned up.
Then ship reassignments we can easily do later in a next Patch. That's why today I decided to work on compressing the texture files instead.

But then what CAN we use the Boussole for at all?
How about this: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/18327-hornblower-storyline-ship-use/page__view__findpost__p__413747

I was just thinking on what we still need to get done for Beta 2 and concluded that the most important thing is to get as much as possible all resources in place that we want.
Eg. we need to have as many ships as possible include already and as much as possible the models and the textures cleaned up.
Then ship reassignments we can easily do later in a next Patch. That's why today I decided to work on compressing the texture files instead.
Fair enough. I suppose we can implement the reassignments we're certain about now, and the debatable ones can wait. :yes

Fair enough. I suppose we can implement the reassignments we're certain about now, and the debatable ones can wait. :yes
The main thing I think we should aim for with Beta 2 is to give all modders a good base on which to continue their modding work, so that means as much as possible everything included so all the resources are in place.
That's what I'm thinking at the moment anyway...

Athena uses RN_Frigate in my game files, which is black and yellow.

Battleship3 uses the former Battleship4 texture.

She sure looked like a French ship last night when I sank her. :shrug

There is no way one could compare the Unicorn to the Boussole. The Boussole is by far the more powerful ship with her huge 400 man crew and 32 lb. guns compared to the Unicorn with her 200 man crew and 9lb. guns. :eek:k

I've been replacing lots of ships as part of the ship clean-up. Possibly the Athena did use a red skin, but after my work, in my game files she doesn't use a black-and-red model anymore. :shrug

Hmm... the Standard storyline ship we're talking about is the one you have to escape with. So it should be a ship possible to be crewed by not too many people and should be a fast ship too. Right?

Ok, in that situation the slightly faster Unicorn would be better. Also, those quick loading long nines would be better for taking out sails.

Unicorn should work, but then she would need to look French, right?

Would be nice to be sure. I think that once we've got Beta 2 done, we should be able to see what ships we could put to good use and then hopefully make those one way or another.

I haven't yet made any changes for this storyline. Any specific thoughts of what could/should be done for Beta 2? There's still time now.

Here's all I can think of that can be done quickly:
- Yves Giner captaining Cleopatre (FR_Corvette) - should be "Cléopâtre"
- Begon Monchaty captaining Semillante (FR_Frigate) - should be "Sémillante"
- Pierre Leverrier captaining l'Enterprise (FR_Frigate) - should be "l'Entreprise"
- Malcolm Hart captaining HMS Desperate (RN_SuperiorWarship) - should probably change this to RN_Battleship, to keep things more accurate.

The only other changes are:
- The French colour scheme clean-up for the Speightstown blockade squadron (except Belette)
- French paint scheme for HMS Unicorn, to replace La Boussole
I'd imagine it's best to leave those until after Beta 2, now.

I'm replacing:
Cléopâtre (FR_Corvette) with FR_Fleuron
Sémillante (FR_Frigate) with FR_Licorne
Couronne (Battleship1) with Soleil Royal (FR_SoleilRoyal)
Arsinoe (FR_Frigate) with FR_WarGalleon
l'Entreprise (FR_Frigate) with FR_Derfflinger
Albion (Sloop1) with BrigRoyal
Desperate (RN_SuperiorWarship) with RN_Battleship

Any more thoughts?

Perhaps putting the Soleil Royal in the game will give someone a reason to finally repair it.

Who knows; she's a part of the replacement squadron now, so you won't readily encounter her. But it IS possible.

Good choice for those replacements, Pieter! :onya

Perhaps putting the Soleil Royal in the game will give someone a reason to finally repair it.
There has always been a good reason to repair her, but she's just such a tricky one to do. :facepalm
What I did to get her working as-is was an annoying enough workaround, and my attempts to fix the corrupted bowsprit seemed to fail, so I'm running out of options.

According to Armada, the HMS Unicorn is available for the Standard storyline, so I reckon we should make use of her there too. Any thoughts on what would be a good ship to use her for?
I was thinking maybe the idol ship; the Athena?

I guess that would be fine. Gives her an important role, at least. :onya

Back