• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

STORM modeling team

SuperChango is my 'boss' in model/texture work so I'll leave him to decide my work assignments :p

I won't ever do any modeling but I can play a far more crucial role in ironing out the little details of a model like.. what was a possible historical hull thickness for a ill-documented 16th Century galleon, how to make 'weathered white hull bottom lead paint' work, please don't put the demiculverines so close to each other no one could possibly reload them (more likely recoiling into the ship's structure devastating it), etc

I'm also an advocate of not just finishing a model but being able to base some future growth and/or sub-developments off the first product, and ensuring proper documentation work is done (historical background to affect in-game handling etc).

That's because I'll only sail a ship I can tolerate to live on :p And at the end of the day I'll even paint the ship. Provided I can work with the owner, of course :p

I don't believe that a great model comes from just a modeler and texturer. So speak to SuperChango (San Martin modeler) and see if having a ship's commissioner is worthwhile.

Chances are of course, that this idea like all others of mine would be replied with rather off-putting rebuttals so just like in RL, I'll leave the introductions for someone else.

Snow White Sorrow, if you want to be part of the modeling team you would be most welcome and Im sure the rest of the team would appreciate your input :yes

Also it isnt just modelers that are being sort after for the team, SD also mentioned textures ;)

Plus if ships are going to be made here you will have the opportunity to see the ship and research it for WBT values before it is released this way as well, so are you in?

EDIT: oh and you are also very active which was SD's other major thing ;)

I like your idea of ModDB Bartolomeu, however I think if they want to join they need to prove they are commited
Can't hurt to let them know though. Might get some new modelers. ;)
Especially if we know HOW to use our tools properly and the modelers can get to MODELING, rather than EXPERIMENTING,
that'd be really good. So in addition to finishing the group's current WIPs (which I think is a VERY good idea),
I think it should also be one of the major goals to figure out and document how to make:
- Character models
- Ship models
- Location models
- Island models
- Worldmap models
I hope location models will be a priority. For instance, we haven't real warehouses. For the Santiago warehouses' attack, I've had to use the shipyard model :facepalm

I agree Bartolomeu, locations and also characters :yes

I still have a list of characters for my storyline that actually need new models :shrug

Bartolomeu, check the Russian oddities thread. I have found some POTC locations, which the Russians made. And that pack contains 2 new taverns and a warehouse!

We could ask SeadogX about the particulars of exporting characters/locations...
About SD's tutorial thread, i could add the little i've learned about ship exporting...
And finally, i think SWS should be in the team, she proved most useful in many aspects, coding the San Martin from scratch in no time, plus providing lots of exellent info... but be warned... she's a little pushy, and a whole lot of a brainstormer by herself... so ideas wount lack...

Ok if I managed to do this right, you guys are all now part of the group 'Modelers' and your title is in maroon (so its close to red still ;))

You should all have the same rights as before (being able to access PotC Modding subforum) but you should now have access to a new subforum called Modeling Team Projects located in Storm Engine Modeling. You are the only ones (along with admin/moderators) that have access to this forum ;)
Aha! So 'modelers' are kind of 'super-modders' in terms of forum rights, aren't they? But what about modelers that can't mod and modders who love admiring others modeling work? And texturers are considered as plain 'modelers'? xD:

Hope they won't forget to post out of the subforum details, pictures & explanations of the fantastic things they'll create! So that common modders could have a glimps of them at least when they're done...

In all case, this looks really promising!

I'd personaly enjoy more ship inside locations ; for example I'd give the cabins in the 'crew quarters' for officers, the crewmen would received a new 'dormitory' with only a big mess of hammocks. Other nice functionnal places could be done : pownder & ammunition room, kitchen, room for ropes, planks, and sailcloth ; things like that. We could even make some code to have different objects spaning in some new hold location, depending on what cargo you have. (barrels, sacks, etc...)
Of course theses places would mostly be here to add to the game ambiant : I think we all agree that visiting your ship is nice.

Yep 'super modders' sounds right :yes

Well what Im hopeing is they discuss projects and stuff and in the early stages keep it in their forum and then go to the modding forum to announce what they are doing as it gets close to finish for testing and such outside the team...

And then to the main storm engine forum to announce the whole thing before it is actually put in game :yes

Question for the team: Do you think that the storyline writers should be included in the team (Thomas, SJG and I already can post and see) for WIP they have asked for and stuff like that?

Indeed I second the call for locations and characters.
In fact, although new ship models are always nice,
I am now at a point where I don't particularly care too much anymore about new ship models.
Unless there's something really special about the new ship in either a historical or storyline sense, that is.
But new locations and characters could be really very valuable for storyline purposes.
Also from the view of publicity, new characters and locations would be very interesting.

Does anyone remember the attempted Dutch town location Yo Ho Ho did?
The files should still be on the FTP.
You might consider looking at those and see if you can get anything of that in the games.

I do think there is much to be gained if we can get model-work and storyline-work to go together.
As I said before, the model-work I care about the most is stuff that really adds to variety, realism or storyline potential.

To Bartolomeu: Thomas found some new location models from a Russian mod.
He uploaded the files to the FTP. I don't remember the filename and folder, but it's on there somewhere.
Have a look on the FTP and see if you can find it: www.pyratesahoy.com/potc

Actually, THIS is what you're after, Bartolomeu!
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//return-of-the-legend-location-files-t13320.html/page__view__findpost__p__357201

Unless there's something really special about the new ship in either a historical or storyline sense, that is.

In that case consider my offer for assistance null and void. There is a lot of work that can be done to improve existing ships, and without community backing, my efforts will be & have been a waste of time.

I also note that certain works-in-progress ship threads feature my suggestions completely ignored, which is utterly disappointing considering the successful case of San Martin (which again, no one is interested in despite potential for multi-role applications in at least 3 periods of gameplay).

Once again, if I'm not consulted, there will be another community benefiting from my maritime interests in the near future. Decide for yourselves.

This group isnt for people to be put into, its for people who want to do it, who we know are commited to doing it.

That is why I asked if you wanted to do it, but by your last post I would take that as a no.

Plus this group only currently has 4 members, all of whom I know are open for suggestions

Pieter with that comment was refering to the shere ammount of ships we already have in the build and was just refering to not adding a ship for the hell of adding a ship but for a specific reason (Historical/Storyline)

It would be really nice to get new locations as it will add even more variety to the game

My God-o-War ships Idea would be Unique man-o-war, that could be used only for quest sided uses....

Nope, as you can see I'm always open to a participation in a productive effort that can in good faith make the end result of the project that much better. It is a suggestion for everyone to not keep in their comfort zones looking at things they themselves like and ignoring the rest, but telling those who require information, guidance and I dare say, good project leadership (ie, people like myself), and fitting them into the larger picture.

I am an enthusiastic participant in anything non profit and intellectually oriented with a variety of developed and developing talents. To date I've not received any offers of collaboration besides from Pieter and SuperChango; and those projects were completed on schedule and achieved their desired goals so long as good communications were maintained.

That is my resume. But where are the employers? Missing. Or simply refusing to reply to such offers. Well, it's not my loss if my interest is/has waned.

What do you want us to do? This is not a corperate, so why are you speaking about employers? And who says your ideas are ignored? Just because the others don't write half a page to respond? You did a very good job, and people appreciate it I am sure. But you are creating the trouble yourself, misreading a lot of comments.

The why is simple - content creators have various motivations. Some, knowing the limitations of individual commitments, seek to broaden their horizons by seeking collaboration. Such advertising can have many forms.

Like I have already said in this thread, if you want to join the team Im sure they would appreciate it, however it is up to you NOBODY else. This isnt like modders where you get put in for just doing something that fits in with the modder tag.

This team needs to co-operate and be active together. Discuss ideas and such and needs commitment. That is why it is in the form of an invitation and then the person gets to choose to join or not :yes

Nope, as you can see I'm always open to a participation in a productive effort that can in good faith make the end result of the project that much better. It is a suggestion for everyone to not keep in their comfort zones looking at things they themselves like and ignoring the rest, but telling those who require information, guidance and I dare say, good project leadership (ie, people like myself), and fitting them into the larger picture.

I am an enthusiastic participant in anything non profit and intellectually oriented with a variety of developed and developing talents. To date I've not received any offers of collaboration besides from Pieter and SuperChango; and those projects were completed on schedule and achieved their desired goals so long as good communications were maintained.

That is my resume. But where are the employers? Missing. Or simply refusing to reply to such offers. Well, it's not my loss if my interest is/has waned.

I read some many anger in your posts... So now I'm trying to simplify this:
A) You have modeling skills and want to join modeling team... Just say, and we'll mostly accept you...
B) You have modeling skills and want to work on SOLO... Then calm down...
C) You want to be an advisor of some kind... So you're always appreciated with your posts in modeling forum... Where you're already posting...
D) You want to write more topics/posts how are you unhappy that you "are" ignored and be ignored then for real...

Back