• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

STORM modeling team

Unless there's something really special about the new ship in either a historical or storyline sense, that is.
I think you misunderstand me. All I mean is that we have plenty ships at the moment and not too many new locations and characters.
So if I were offered the choice, I'd prefer character or location modeling.
But I am NOT offered the choice. The choice is the modelers' and the modelers' alone.
Everyone works on what he/she wants to do. And that's how it should be.
I can merely give my opinion, just like everyone else here.
But that is merely an opinion of a single individual and should not be taken as gospel in any way, shape or form.

And I would like to mention that just because I am more-or-less community leader here,
that does not mean that my opinions or ideas are any more valid than anyone else's.
I am always the first to point out that I consider our work here to be a COMMUNITY effort,
where the input of every single person is appreciated.

I never aimed to be a community leader here. I never even wanted to.
But I did end up in that position and, as such, am just trying to provide guidance in a direction
that I think would be the most beneficial for all involved.
I am not the boss, I am not the captain, I am a community member just like everyone else here.
As far as I'm concerned, we are a full democracy here and not a dictatorship with me being the dictator.

Of course every ship added to the game can and DOES add something to the game.
But what does, for example, a new schooner model add to the game when we already have dozens of schooners?
Something, certainly, but not much. But imagine we have only one brig and somebody would make another!
Or we have NO steamships and we add one. Or two.
Now THAT adds something to the game that is really valuable, because we haven't seen it before.

So, for ME at least, and AGAIN I stress that is MY PERSONAL OPINION,
there are a couple of criteria for a new ship model being more valuable than "just another ship".
These criteria are:
- Historical importance (eg. the San Martin and steamships fill up a void in our ship database)
- Offers gameplay unlike the other ships (eg. the steamships offer a different kind of propulsion)
- Usability for storyline purposes (eg. a Chinese ship we could use for the PotC 3 part of the Jack Sparrow story)

the successful case of San Martin (which again, no one is interested in despite potential for multi-role applications in at least 3 periods of gameplay).
It usually takes a while to get proper interest.
It's happened in the past that a modeler made a new model and it'd only be used in a storyline half a year later.
Things can be rather slow around here in that way. It's unfortunate, I agree, but that's the way it is.
I like to speed things up, but there's only so much a single person can do. :shrug

Don't worry dude... I wrote my Idea of quest, Dark One, about year or more... And still, don't sure if it is created or at least taken serious...

Mightbe even 2 years... Can't really remember :eek:k

I remember that, yes. It WAS a nice story.
But all storyline-writers are doing their own thing.
I would do it myself, but at the current rate,
I'm never going to be able to do any real fun stuff myself.
I'm always stuck on doing those things that nobody else does,
because, well... otherwise it DOESN'T happen. And it does need to! :facepalm

Being 4th officer on a civilian capital ship has to be fun. Theres your compensation :)

So what do the STORM modelling team think about adding storyline coders to the group (Short Jack Gold, Thomas the Terror and I are already part of it ;))

It is really only Bartolomeu o' Portugues who needs to be added :yes

Alright, include them... But bartalomeu doesn't use modeling... Writing on him "Modelers" would be false information... Might be "storyline writers" or "storyliners"?

Oh, wait... Bartalomeu mentioned, that he's learning maya... :onya

If you set Bartolomeu to Modder and assign Modeler as secondary group,
he'll be named Modder, but still be able to visit here. :yes

Shall wait to see if Damski wishes to join now (cant see why not :rofl)

He will be a very valubable member of the group :yes

Can I have me own colour as animator?.... got some new stuff coming on fairly good but will need help doing LAi files, setting types etc. otherwise they wo'nt work ingame - tried, they always set animation to a default.
Just read last post..glad to join....I'll go multicolour xD:

Can I have me own colour as animator?.... got some new stuff coming on fairly good but will need help doing LAi files, setting types etc. otherwise they wo'nt work ingame - tried, they always set animation to a default.
Just read last post..glad to join....I'll go multicolour xD:
Aleluia !! You are back damski62 !! :onya

:gday all,

Here is a new location that's almost done,(I think...hope).

Indian village.jpg
Indian village_2.jpg

I've a lot more trees to add yet...and yes the ground texture looks crap ATM.
Also have to add the locators for the crocodiles and the Gorilla(with animations)....may need help with the locators.

:cheers
damski.

Back