• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

thanks that is great.

omega

a pirate wanna be.
i didn't play any of other storyline i just played the intrue of woods roger, and man i just saw how much work had done to make this thing, how much workaround used to bypass engine limitation, it remind me of Dracula.

btw why you made that log in the water completely invisible? you dunno how much i move around to find it :)

i must say from little i saw, whoever make this, successfully transform a action game into a adventure game. congratulation. (i must say i am not a fan of adventure game at all but i liked this one).

Indeed Jack Rackham did a tremendous job on that one! He has worked on it since BEFORE the release of Build 13, many many years ago. So it's been a long time coming!

Which log in the water is that? Sounds like a bug.

yes but its completely invisible :p you need it to build a raft, and escape from island.

edit: sorry maybe i shouldn't create a new topic here :S. but i was so exited that i forget to check.

Hello again omega and thanks for your kind words. I'll check that log tonight
and try to answer tomorrow. There are totally 4 logs that can be picked up.
2 need a tool to get. 2 in the water.

And yes Dracula3 is one of my favourite games. I can recommend it.

well i mean Dracula (1) :p haven't see my friends to play Dracula 3 (i don't like to play it but i like when i watch someone else do it and help him, you know solve it together, its A LOT of fun)
but i heard a lot of good thing about Dracula 3.

you know that log near the cave, other 3 are easy to find. since the water is somehow oily, (i know a lot of work has been done to make it better but its still look like oil.) you won't see the log , except if you look to your feet, (perpendicular). since as a player i always see my front, the log became invisible.

oh i almost forget, finding wood was hard too, lol how should i know someone CAN be in the balcony. damn i played potc where everything was impossible:p. but the jump after he finish talking with wood make me say wow, and lough at the same time, you know there is no jump in the game, creating something that look like jump is very interesting, and show how thoughtful you are in details.there was no need for this jump, but it create a atmosphere since exactly after this jump the music change too.

at least for me, and little time i spent (i didn't play it after talking with woods) you created a very unique atmosphere. i didn't feel i am in potc world anymore (specially after the jump). "if you get my meaning".

well when i get excited, my post became less understandable, i hope you forgive me, it all means i loved it
something like ->:bounceand this :bounce

Oh... THOSE logs. They indeed should NOT be invisible.

Are you sure the modpack installed correctly? For example, did you install outside Program Files or not?

Oh... THOSE logs. They indeed should NOT be invisible.

Are you sure the modpack installed correctly? For example, did you install outside Program Files or not?
well the good thing is i hate vista so this problem dose not happen to me ;)
well the log is not really invisible, its under water, since water reflect is too much (like oil) you cant see what is there until you watch from top down view (watching your shoes.)

I've checked the log and it's visible but under water.
It's an easy thing to move it if more people think it is unnecessary
hard to find. :modding
I'm happy you enjoyed the details - that's what took me so long.
And omega there is a Walkthrough. :read Search Woodes Rogers quest or something.

hmm well you know reading walkthroughs for a adventure game is not very wise :p i know there is wiki walkthrough but i rather not read it;).
i personally don't like hard to find objects (if water was normal i could see the log easily) but mind blowing puzzles are very welcome.
is it possible for a log to remain completely under water? i saw logs that partly is under water and partly out, but never saw it like that.

I had no problems. I knew there must be another log somewhere and searched until I found it. I you had ever splashed through knee deep water you would know it is not easy to see things until you are right on top of them. There are things like the sun reflecting off the water, plants, and silt and mud making it hard to see.

ok i finished it, here is my thoughts and observations. (i hope its understandable if you didn't understand anything just tell me to explain more sorry.)

bugs:
when you are supposed to repair the book in library, you can end up with 2 complete book, and next time you see him you give one book and you get stuck.

when you are supposed to see the gunner for opening your medicine box, if you go to armory, scene of third pistol repeated and woods offer the forth pistol quest again, i didn't follow the quest to see what will happen afterward.

after i picked up the head cutter axe in mine the artificial door don't automatically load to the mine 1, you will pass the door and wonder in oxbay mine (i guess), additionally you can loot two of 4 skeletons there.

when 4 deaf canoneer want to move that thing on the cargo door, there is a chance that you get stuck in your place, you wont be able to move at all, even if you go to the cargo hold.

when you land on balcony of tavern, when you are coming out of fried egg window, almost at the end of game. woods give you his first quest all over again, you should not talk with his daughter afterward, since she is waiting to be rescued.

pirate merchant in nevis still wear the brotherhood clothes, ship merchant wear nothing.

what i think should be added/removed.
lost chest key when you are going to deliver medicine chest to pirates seems unnecessary, how the key end up in the tower is another question.

action part of game is almost non existance, adding some action based btw some puzzles can make the game more interesting.

you were almost thrown out to your last prize, no one talk to you, no one tell you what's going on, you just get lucky and find the alchemy book, you get lucky again and when you light the Candle you hit f3 and find the key.

compliments:
man i dunno who you are, its the first adventure game that i actually liked to play all alone, what you did was amazing, most of time i was laughing, and other times i was clapping, and cheering you. i was saying man how much time he spend to make this thing work.
technically with such a complicated quests you did a awesome work, the game have very few bugs, i was never sure i am doing the right thing but well it worked to the end :p.
i should congratulate you, creating some of the puzzles is hard even in your mind. personally i hate meaningless puzzles which seems to have no purpose, but i really loved your puzzles, somehow i feel they belonged there(except rare occasions.)
sense of humor: i never laughed this much in a game, every few step you had a surprise, many thanks.

request: i really like to see what will happen afterward, i want that jrh dialog. i also offer my help (well if i can do anything in the first place) if you think i can do anything to help like testing or anything else just tell me.

many thanks again.

man i dunno who you are, its the first adventure game that i actually liked to play all alone, what you did was amazing, most of time i was laughing, and other times i was clapping, and cheering you. i was saying man how much time he spend to make this thing work.
technically with such a complicated quests you did a awesome work, the game have very few bugs, i was never sure i am doing the right thing but well it worked to the end :p.
i should congratulate you, creating some of the puzzles is hard even in your mind. personally i hate meaningless puzzles which seems to have no purpose, but i really loved your puzzles, somehow i feel they belonged there(except rare occasions.)
sense of humor: i never laughed this much in a game, every few step you had a surprise, many thanks.
I'm sure Jack Rackham will be very happy when he sees that. He has worked on this story since BEFORE the release of Build 13. That's about five years by now! :shock

@ pieter Boelen i think i didn't say enough, its really what i feel,i don't compliment anyone without a reason, and now that i want to compliment someone, i cant say what i want :S ugh forgive me lord JRG for my english knowledge.

oh oh i almost forget, fire the canon blow me to pieces :p. the sounds, yes THE SOUNDS they where .... i cant say really how i feel. when you find this sounds and arrange them to such a thing, just wow. LOL
i really love your style you don't want to simply finish the storyline, you work hard, put EVERYTHING to perfect, you don't like to simplify things, i am not sure if you can surprise me again, to me you squeezed the engine to its final limit. you are a perfectionist i think ;)

edit: i loved alexander Selkirk he is my favorite, the life a piracy only lead to damnation my son

Yes, of course it's nice to hear that you appreciated my efforts to make this adventure fun & new.

pirate merchant in nevis still wear the brotherhood clothes, ship merchant wear nothing.
This was intentional: shipyard owner was robbed (by you) and Peter Blowhorn seems to like his new outfit.
I'll see to the other bugs. Thanks for reporting them and your feedback. :onya

About the not-so-action oriented style: I wanted to do something else. But there are other dangers:
Cannon drill, distillery etc

About the continuation: Indeed I have planned to to it and have put some months on it too.
5 - 6 parts: Richards, Hands, Eden, Caesar and a very small and rotten swedish colony Kristiania, Blackbeard's tower.
There are some screenshots somewhere on the forum.

I needed to do something else than WoodesRogers so in june 2012 I started another (smaller) storyline.
(puzzle style)

lol i know that ship owner robbed of his clothes (to cover my flee with woods daughter) but you know he have about 2 million gold so i guess he can buy a new cloth if he want to :p, but about merchant its ok i accept your reason . see i am convinced easily ;).

i really hope you continue that and yes i saw the screenshots too, they were great :), again if you need my help (specially as a tester) just tell me.
oh 1 more thing
when you are supposed to repair the book in library, you can end up with 2 complete book, and next time you see him you give one book and you get stuck.
it happen if you get the woods (not woods roger the wood you need to light fire) from roger office and imminently go to officers place, (without repairing the book) one of the officers tell you to light the fire, now the other officer give you the complete book to be placed in library (also you didn't give him the complete book), now when you repair the first book you end up with 2 complete book. (ugh i hope it make sense :S)

Omega, did you play one game from start to end (with a lot of saves) or did you use the jump starts in StartStoryline?

I have fixed the double repaired Dampier book bug.
The other bugs simply didn't occur when I tested.

lost chest key when you are going to deliver medicine chest to pirates seems unnecessary, how the key end up in the tower is another question.
Maybe you're right, it can be removed.

action part of game is almost non existance
Well it's a choice of mine to focus on other things. But I counted the action situations:
fights 10
possible fights 9
possible deaths (other than fights) 8
things that cause damage not counted

What I think is missing is more sea action, real sailing etc.

you were almost thrown out to your last prize, no one talk to you, no one tell you what's going on, you just get lucky and find the alchemy book, you get lucky again and when you light the Candle you hit f3 and find the key.
Rogers tells you the last reward is behind the shipyard door and it's in the questbook too.
I'm not sure what you mean: isn't it normal JRH style of this part - search everything etc?
Isn't it logical that it's too dark to see the key from start?

yes i finished it from beginning to the end, is there a jump :p? where

ok let me explain more,
when you are supposed to open your other half of medicine box, the monkey is in front of roger armory , when you enter the room you should step on a platform to open the gunpowder room, now the monkey is in Amory again, if you repeat what you did before - take gunpowder and then take ammunition then take additional powder and ammunition equipments - from the box, the monkey go out and you hear the cannon fire, and the scene repeated.
edit: i find what cause this i was lucky i had a save before that time = in gunpowder room if you take ammunition pouch and gunpowder flask from shelf again, powder monkey appear on top of gunpowder box again now you can repeat everything.

the artificial door after you take the axe dose not loaded automatically for me i forced to get near and hit space bar to open it, maybe saving and loading had a effect on this.

for 4 deaf cannonneer there is hard situation, you must try to remove the object after they talk to you, i guess its a very little moment, and i think its more because of engine limitation. maybe its because the game add your limitation after you finished your talk with the them. as i said there is chance, since when i reloaded and waited a few seconds, i could do everything fine.

when you land on balcony of tavern, when you are coming out of fried egg window, almost at the end of game. woods give you his first quest all over again, you should not talk with his daughter afterward, since she is waiting to be rescued.

hmm its strange that you couldn't reproduce this.

note that i didn't used a walkthrough, i played it on my own (sadly my internet didn't work so i couldn't report them one by one.) i checked some of quest logs later and i saw that i jumped some steps, however i don't remember what i did exactly, if you like i will play the game from beginning again, to see if i can reproduce some of the bugs i encountered.

“lost chest key when you are going to deliver medicine chest to pirates seems unnecessary, how the key end up in the tower is another question.​
Maybe you're right, it can be removed.
the logic for what i am saying is that, pirate are almost dead so they want this medicines as soon as possible, i didn't expect a puzzle in that time,

“action part of game is almost non existance​
Well it's a choice of mine to focus on other things. But I counted the action situations:
of course you are right, you are more interested in puzzle type of game rather than action, i just said my preference action/puzzles like resident evil (not quite right but i guess you get the picture) the game is already very good, even without any action i never feel bored, also i don't like pure puzzles games at all, i love what you did.

“you were almost thrown out to your last prize, no one talk to you, no one tell you what's going on, you just get lucky and find the alchemy book, you get lucky again and when you light the Candle you hit f3 and find the key.​
Rogers tells you the last reward is behind the shipyard door and it's in the questbook too.
I'm not sure what you mean: isn't it normal JRH style of this part - search everything etc?
Isn't it logical that it's too dark to see the key from start?
yes roger tell you about your last prize, what i mean is after you go to secret port.
you know you always know what you must to do, you know what you are looking for in all of game, but in this part even though there are people they don't talk to you or tell you why you are here, for example the black girl see you in his house, but it seems you know her for a long time, no introduction, for example you can add something like this: "why you don't play with alchemy a little, until your ship arrive?i am sure there is book of alchemy somewhere". however this is what i think.
i always like logical things, even a slight clue of why something should happen is enough for me. (did i miss something, maybe i jumped some steps and the girl didn't talk to me for ?)
one problem i had in this part is that, for the first time in game you must have drawn weapon and hit f3, to find the key under documents (near candle in roger lobby or something) it take a long time for me to find this.

On the subject of "not enough action", what about adding some "Bartolomeu style" sneaking around gameplay?
I remember quite liking the parts where you're forced to dodge guards with a few weird weapons and being hit even once will alert everybody and cause Game Over. That does make for some pretty tense gameplay in my book, even though it isn't really all-out action. The game doesn't really support epic action scenes anyway, except for sea battles.

Maybe you could add allow some measure of free play so that players who want to find a sea battle of some kind can do so? No need to script that in; there's a big sea out there with action aplenty for those who go looking for it. Right?

Back