• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

the amazing JUNK

maybe no shipyard at all? it would be interesting to have a few ships which could only be captured, not bought.

We could set them to be unbuyable and you'd only encounter them at sea VERY rarely.
Obiously Vanderdecken would end up selling the Empress.

On the subject of random junks, the last time I encountered a Grand Schooner, I thought "That could be converted to a small junk..."
The sails are similar; just lose the bowsprit, repaint the ship, and make a junk-style sail texture, and there you have it.
I might give it a try sometime, if it's a good idea. :shrug

are you sure? there's some pretty major differences in western and asian hull design i think.

Well it uses the Xebec hull, which is probably the closest we've got to a basic junk.
Most of the protruding bow detail can probably be removed through texturing, so that should at least make it look more flat.

wait, i think i see what you mean. i recently found this thing, a malaysian model:

naga1.jpg

Setia-60gerjahre-1.jpg

which, incidentally, is the south chinese design i was referring to. it's just a bit more southern than i thought. you wouldn't even have to remodel the bow.

Now that's interesting! The hull looks almost exactly like the Xebec.
The only thing is, if I were to use that rigging, I wouldn't be able to cheat with the sails just by texturing, because of the stay at the front.
I'd have to try out what has been suggested before: lots of separate rey models with small sails... :wacko:

i know what a stay is, but i'm not sure if i know what you're referring to. keep in mind though that i have no idea when this particular design came into use. it might be later than we want. it looks like a steel hull as well, and i haven't been able to find any older ones than the black and white, except for these, which are a whole new kind of wierd:

Paul-Naples-VN-Junks.jpg

i honestly don't know. yet. i have all kinds of info on their construction, but no data. since it has such heavy western influence, you might want to focus on that. as in, when did trade reach such levels that it started influencing asian ship design?

oh, and you might want to take a look at a ship known as a Lorcha. that seems to be more what you were initially after.

the ships in question are called the Pinis (yes) and Bedar. still no actual data, but the designs are reportedly centuries old. that's about as specific as it gets from what i've seen. one thing i do know though is that those hybrids are malaysian, not chinese. though they were seen in china too, of course. in fact, the chinese had the malaysians building ships for them, although the lorcha is definately the one you need.

while searching, i found this thing as well, which would probably come in handy:

http://www.thecheappages.com/junk/tutorial.html

I've looked into the Lorcha design, and I do like the idea. :yes
From what I've read, they were mostly Portuguese hybrids developed in China.
Because of their greater speed and agility compared to standard junks, these were very speedy little vessels!
They seem ideal for use as small Portuguese merchants in the Caribbean- even in the earliest periods.
Since they used European hulls, I shouldn't even need to use the Xebec hull; even something like the old Barque model would do.

There aren't many decent photos out there, but for those interested, here's one of a museum model: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Lorcha01.jpg

though they might be present in all periods, i'd still suggest making them very rare. they'd have to sail round south america after all, and i have a bit of a blank spot on wether or not the chinese liked trading with the caribbean. i suppose this would also be the name for the new ship?

Of course, they'll be very rare ships, mostly used by Portugal, but perhaps a couple of other nations.
Maybe in the later periods, they could become purchasable (but still rare) in Portuguese shipyards, seeing as they might eventually gain the knowledge to build them after a few years of Caribbean presence.
We might explain their trading due to the Portuguese colonies in China, which could occasionally send ships to the Caribbean. :shrug
And yes, the name probably would be 'Lorcha', unless they should be classified as 'Armed' as well (all photos I've seen so far have not featured cannons.)

I know the particular game I am referring to isn't very historically accurate, but if any of you have ever played an amazing game known as Anno 1701, you may remember that in the game, there is a Chinese outpost in the Caribbean. I know it isn't accurate, but perhaps one of our many Buccaneer forts can be tampered with to make it look Asian, so we could have an Eastern colony. If a shipyard is added there, the junks could be bought at that particular location.

i'm pretty sure that chinese outpost was meant to represent china in the trading world, and not china in the caribbean. but once again, a capture-only ship is not a bad thing. it would leave the players something to hunt the seas for without there being some cheap way of getting a special ship, such as a shipyard. vanderdecken is of course the ever-present alternative.

Well, this ship was never going to be 100% accurate in the Caribbean anyway. We'll just have to bend the truth a little. :wp
Perhaps you're right about them being capture-only ships. It would be a good reason for players to take to the seas, with a prize in mind!
We could also give the ship to Vanderdecken, if finding one seems nigh on impossible.
EDIT: actually, wouldn't the ship need to be impossible to encounter to qualify for Vanderdecken?
In which case, the ships really would have to remain rare capture-only ones.

yes, i suppose you're right. but how rare are we talking here? 1% chance every time you encounter a convoy, per ship? you meet a lot of convoys in one game after all, so chances are you'll meet one or two of them per character profile, which seems a pretty decent number. though with those chances of finding it, you'd get it by pure luck, and not by actively looking for it.

Back