• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released the one and fifty three

oh! there goes...
interesting ship!
yes, the balcony thing is , just an idea. forget it.
I am not much of a Galleon man... SotL and Frigates, Razées and the like ar e more my thing...
but what i see here , got style!

Due to an meeting between the bombsquad and a WW2 bomb in our backalley yesterday, I was'nt able to do much on her. :shrug

Today I worked on her deck's and put she "quickly" together, to get a better feel for her!? (You know what I mean. xD: )

And for your viewing pleasure here She is:
Preview-4.jpg

Preview-5.jpg

Preview-6.jpg

As you can see I am at 2738 Triangles by 1544 Vertices.

To work on on her, I need to know a few things:
1. Need the cannons been to be build or can i use some form of prefab?
2. the Mast's are separate models? Yes, till they can be destroyed...?
3. 2 Models per Mast? 1 destroyed, 1 functional?
4. What's the Tricount of the Raa Frigate or Mourdaunt, for example? To have a guide on how many I can spent for clutter.

It would be nice if someone can answer this questions... ( Thanks in advance!!!!!)

4. The Mordaunt has 56363 triangles and 90745 vertices on hull. Raa frigate has 55396 triangles and 77875 vertices.
As far as I know, it is better for storm engine not to put a lot of polygons on a single object. If a model is heavy on polygons, it is better to divide it on several parts. For example, hull, deck and broken masts forms one part and cannons, pumps, boats, bulwarks and other details forms another.

(..snip..)
4. The Mordaunt has 56363 triangles and 90745 vertices on hull. Raa frigate has 55396 triangles and 77875 vertices.
As far as I know, it is better for storm engine not to put a lot of polygons on a single object. If a model is heavy on polygons, it is better to divide it on several parts. For example, hull, deck and broken masts forms one part and cannons, pumps, boats, bulwarks and other details forms another.

hi rider88,
50000 Tris is a lot more to spent. they will come in handy :woot
did you have maja to look at the models?

At current I'am at 3650 tris and modeling the gunports...

@Morgan Terror:
I don't know whats the case of the problem for you is. Sorry. If you like i did mail them to you for a look...?

(..snip..)

hi rider88,
50000 Tris is a lot more to spent. they will come in handy :woot
did you have maja to look at the models?

At current I'am at 3650 tris and modeling the gunports...

@Morgan Terror:
I don't know whats the case of the problem for you is. Sorry. If you like i did mail them to you for a look...?

3650 is a very good result. I had around 7000 on the step you are at the moment. The most polygon hungry elements of my brigantine are upper part of the hull, which has clinker planks and bows with a figure.
I work in 3d studio max and haven't got maya. Triangles and vertices were counted using GM-viewer, which allows to watch a model with texture and it has a triangle-vertice calculator. It can be downloaded somewhere on this site, but I don't remember where. I can send it to you, if you like. It is very small.

@rider88
Yes the Friedrichsburg , it does look really nice. did you made every single plank at the upper half?
You made a very nice texture for her. Looks good.
I don't know if i get that job right.

Yaeh, the figure, dont mention her. I think she will drive me creasy.
-----------------

Meanwhile i finished the 18 gunports + 1 cannon on the forecastle and 1 in the stern per side. That are nice 40 cannon in total to play havoc.

Preview-7.jpg

Preview-8.jpg

you said this was your first 3D project...
welllllll
if you dont mind, i would respectfully call you a liar. if its possible to do that in a respectful way. I think you are messing around with us.
i just cannot believe you have not constructed anything in 3D before.
:shock

No i don't have started 3DS the first time in my live. I looked and played with models for X (a space game). But nothing meaningful.
Till I am 16 or 14, thats over 20 years now, I am interested in videogames. (Elite and the original pirates on Amiga for example)
But , YES, thats my real first "project" to bring something to live and in an game, 3D model related and not coding.

At my end there is no harm taken, so take this as an clarification for your decision. I am only happy and proud of the outcoming till now.

And the idea with the balcony is really good. I like it. I only don't know if it is possible in a good way.... so we will see. ;)

Maaaan...
i cant believe this.

i mean... i cannot tell from technically good modeling to technically bad modeling (each program/game has its own preferences)
but what you do, and present here, invites me to think you have used 3D software before, and not only once.
shows a lot of skill and dedication.

a few of the things you model in polygons, another man, and the game developers for sure, would simply have painted on. these 3 holes below the Cannons for example. or the two small windows in the back.
awesome. seems you put your head into this, and even at this early stage, it shows.

*bows*
:bow

i hope you have as much fun watching your ship come together as i have following your progress.
:cheers

*goes off to google for British galleon images*

Fantastic work so far Nightwatcher, she is looking great! I was doing some looking around earlier and ran across a Russian page that has some ship blueprints on it, so I thought I would share it. There are some prints there for the Revenge, not sure if they will help you though.

Russian language site : HERE!

Google Translate to English : HERE!

Fantastic work so far Nightwatcher, she is looking great! I was doing some looking around earlier and ran across a Russian page that has some ship blueprints on it, so I thought I would share it. There are some prints there for the Revenge, not sure if they will help you though.

Russian language site : HERE!

Google Translate to English : HERE!

Yep, thats the plans i am using. but i forgot where i have found them. Thanks!

The HMS Leopard is also a really nice ship. :wp

Take a look at this site for more models:
Code:
http://www.all-model.com/index.html

Only a little update today.
I messed around with texturing today... I really hate these Unwarp UVW thing. It drives me nuts. REALLY!
But finally i got a bit of the nose ready to render.

Before
Preview-9.jpg

and after texturing
Preview-10.jpg

What do you think about it?

@Morgan Terror:

I don't forget you, so here are all the Pics also. I hope they show for you! :whipa

PS.: does anybody know if Bumpmapping work in CoaS??

Thanks for the link mate, there is some nice stuff there! :dance

Armada posted some tests on bump-mapping a while back for POTC. I am by no means an expert, but don't see any reason why the same process wouldn't work in CoAS. :shrug

Thanks for the link mate, there is some nice stuff there! :dance

Armada posted some tests on bump-mapping a while back for POTC. I am by no means an expert, but don't see any reason why the same process wouldn't work in CoAS. :shrug

Thanks Thagarr, i talked to him but i'am not sure about the process so far.

And now I need some opinion about this:

and does someone has a good tutorial about this EVIL "unwrap UVW"??? :modding
I have found and read some but they were'nd useful at all for me.

So far i select connected poly's, assign the texture and use "UVW map" and then flatten maping. Next i convert to editable poly and use the unholy "unwrap UVW".
With "edit" then to correct the vertex position on the texture. After that it begins anew.. :boom
This is'nt a good and smooth work flow but the only that works so far for me.

I would greatly appreciate any form of help

well, i have an opinion, of course... always 2 cents to spare!
but its a very subjective thing, and i do not know iof modeling and painting are done in the same time...
so here goes anyway.
the wood texture you chose is good.
i like the brown, the green and the red triangles.

The circles in circles, i am not so much a fan of. I am a "Luftwaffle" Fan, and these Circles are reminding me of RAF circles. they scream "i am a target, hit me"
:D
It seems you first painted the wood, then colored it, and then drew the "planking lines" on top of that.

But is reality not wood
separated by planking lines
with a coat of color on top of that?

small imperfection near the gunport (upper left hand corner)

Overall.... amazing. modeling and painting, do it yourself manner in a few weeks.
keep rocking!

Opinions are always welcome! As this is the first model i can't get enough opinions.
As for the circles i have to say you: This is a british ship and as that, we will defend our beloved circles, as we defend the empire! :dance

Ahh, i am just poking (right word?). For the first paintjob i want it to look historical correct (as far as i can :rolleyes: ). For Hull2 or 3 I can provide a paintjob without circles.
I only hope my plans are correct at this point!? But who knows...

And thanks, I try.

So far i reworked the textures and finished the unwraping.

I am now connecting the sides and hopefully are able to present a few more screens of her in the evening.

are you still adding the gallery later on? it's by far the most complex-looking section of the ship.

there's a few minor details i'm noticing:
-the pattern looks a bit wonky around the hole in the bow. the one that's not a gunport. i would expect it to incorporate the hole into the pattern. that being said, i also noticed it iterrupts the potruding planking on the side. the planking pattern also has a bit of an odd bump in it above the hole. i think you could get away with cutting a small section out of the plank, but maybe not.
-that little forward corner on the rear bulwarks/railing looks strange. in fact, the whole edge of the rear bulwark looks strange. i would have expected there to be a wooden trim along it's upper edge like on the rest of the ship. it's a minor detail, but it'll matter.
-at the very back of the the stern, the pattern droops down in one place. that should be a single flowing line, though i suspect it's a trick of perspective. still, it should seem straight from all angles. having worked with sketchup, i know how tricky that is, but it'll be worth it in the end.

the planking actually looks pretty good on the outside. i can't find any mistakes there, which is something i've seen other textures skimp on. it doesn't match with the inside though, which looks a little strange. the unpainted portion of the hull looks allright, but i'm a little curious about that portruding section near the front. is it supposed to slope up halfway like that? this is pretty uch my whole artist's opinion on the thing.

are you still adding the gallery later on? it's by far the most complex-looking section of the ship.

there's a few minor details i'm noticing:
-the pattern looks a bit wonky around the hole in the bow. the one that's not a gunport. i would expect it to incorporate the hole into the pattern. that being said, i also noticed it iterrupts the potruding planking on the side. the planking pattern also has a bit of an odd bump in it above the hole. i think you could get away with cutting a small section out of the plank, but maybe not.
-that little forward corner on the rear bulwarks/railing looks strange. in fact, the whole edge of the rear bulwark looks strange. i would have expected there to be a wooden trim along it's upper edge like on the rest of the ship. it's a minor detail, but it'll matter.
-at the very back of the the stern, the pattern droops down in one place. that should be a single flowing line, though i suspect it's a trick of perspective. still, it should seem straight from all angles. having worked with sketchup, i know how tricky that is, but it'll be worth it in the end.

the planking actually looks pretty good on the outside. i can't find any mistakes there, which is something i've seen other textures skimp on. it doesn't match with the inside though, which looks a little strange. the unpainted portion of the hull looks allright, but i'm a little curious about that portruding section near the front. is it supposed to slope up halfway like that? this is pretty uch my whole artist's opinion on the thing.

Thanks for your opinion.

p1: As this is my first texturing i have to work on it. The wonky part is, yes, wonky.... I will correct this. The odd bump above the hole is the planking at self. I use a texture with not 100% strait planking lines as i think that the whole manufacturing process in the 15th was'nt perfect.
p2: The whole railing is missing till now. Exept the midship. so thats the point.
p3: Yep, that will get a bit of work in the future.

Here is the plan i am using:

so, seems like you're doing the painted pattern right after all. strange. i would have expected the designers to do it the way i suggested earlier.

p1: i can understand planking not being completely straight, but all the planks above the hole aren't straight by exactly the same amount on your texture. that's why it looks a bit odd to me, since that wouldn't happen in RL. the hole was formed by the shape of the planking, not the other way round, but i can imagine it being hard to do with modelling, since with modelling it IS the other way round.

you know, looking at the design, that hole is pretty sloppily placed. you're doing it right, apparently, but it looks pretty much like an afterthought on the original ship. you know, what you might want to do is increase the size of that hole to the size of the other gunports. that way it would look more sensible in-game, and you could raise it to match up with that really thin strip of yellow planking above it. wether it's practical depends on where you're going to put the anchor. doing it would also enable you to remove the wobblyness.

so, seems like you're doing the painted pattern right after all. strange. i would have expected the designers to do it the way i suggested earlier.

p1: i can understand planking not being completely straight, but all the planks above the hole aren't straight by exactly the same amount on your texture. that's why it looks a bit odd to me, since that wouldn't happen in RL. the hole was formed by the shape of the planking, not the other way round, but i can imagine it being hard to do with modelling, since with modelling it IS the other way round.

you know, looking at the design, that hole is pretty sloppily placed. you're doing it right, apparently, but it looks pretty much like an afterthought on the original ship. you know, what you might want to do is increase the size of that hole to the size of the other gunports. that way it would look more sensible in-game, and you could raise it to match up with that really thin strip of yellow planking above it. wether it's practical depends on where you're going to put the anchor. doing it would also enable you to remove the wobblyness.

Ok, I corrected the wonky and above part to the best i could.
What do you think now?

closeup:

Back