• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released the one and fifty three

looks better, i think. that narrow strip of red, above the planking line, does it look better when yellow? or does that look bad with the hole there? that portruding piece of wood might look nicer with the yellow and red the way it is though.

looks better, i think. that narrow strip of red, above the planking line, does it look better when yellow? or does that look bad with the hole there? that portruding piece of wood might look nicer with the yellow and red the way it is though.
My opinion is to leave it as it is now, as we get a whole bunch of clutter (dont know all the english names for the pieces...) above and beside the gunport to disturp the eye.

allright. whatever you deem best. i'll be pointing out the little niggles as you go along.

I love that you are doing an English race built galleon. What a lovely ship and you are doing an outstanding job, especially for your first time!!! :onya

I threw this set together and hadn't hung it yet. You gave me an excuse. Hopefully something here may be of some usefullness to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/5944251736/in/set-72157627209654108/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157627209654108/

MK

i think i see the henry grace a dieu in there. it was known as the great harry by the english, but it's originally french. it's the 3rd to last picture.

i think i see the henry grace a dieu in there. it was known as the great harry by the english, but it's originally french. it's the 3rd to last picture.

That one is actually the Triumph built in 1562 and classified as an early galleon. The Great Harry was a carrack. They do actually look an awful lot alike and the distictions between carrack and galleon are very blurry here. I see why you would think she was the HGAdieu. I was actually tempted to put that one in this set, but have so many pictures of carracks that I decided to do a seperate set just for them. I am debating on whether or not to split them up. I was originally going to just lump all English, Flemish, Hanseatic, Spanish, Portuguese, Venetian (even a Scottish one) carracks in one batch, but have so many pics of the Tudor carracks alone, that I may do a seperate set just for them.

MK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/5944252534/lightbox/

That's a really nice model of me baby!! :woot
But what is all the shiny blue there? Should it be copperplating, above the waterline? Very irritating for me at 2 am...
where can i get this model?

A very nice set of paintings you have got there MK!
It's a shame that we could'nt get all the different flags on our ships in game.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/5944252534/lightbox/

That's a really nice model of me baby!! :woot
But what is all the shiny blue there? Should it be copperplating, above the waterline? Very irritating for me at 2 am...
where can i get this model?

A very nice set of paintings you have got there MK!
It's a shame that we could'nt get all the different flags on our ships in game.

It just looks blue in the light Nightwatcher. Its black paint. The model builder decided to go with a darker scheme. I was thinking it would be neat to do hull 2 just like her and then do hull 3 like the very green example. Most of the historical examples of Grenville's Revenge I've seen favor the green color schemes.

MK

fourth to last pic 4 masted galleon with 4 triangulars...
awesome. f´n awesome.
all these images make me wish for more flags and standards, stuff like that makes the game come alive.
gonna have to try the games Galleons more, seeing all this.

Good morning vietnam, äh Piratesahoy i mean. :cheeky

Black then, phu. Black is always nice. I am very pleased that the plans i use looks to be historical acurate.
Did you have any good pictures of the green shemes? Or did i overlooked one in your post?

Hi HundertzehnGustav, it seems to me we are getting a new galleon lover! ;)
Also i can understand your love for the frigates and SotL.

Yesterday evening and today morning (till now) i worked on the railing of, and the gunport in, the forecastle. Hope you all like it!

looks good to me. certainly more detailed than any galleon model i've seen in-game so far. are you sure those belaying pins aren't overkill? i like them, but what's the polycount on those? only a few of them won't matter of course, and they look pretty low-poly. 7 polys or something on the heads.

only flaw i see is that the texture seems to have collided with the shape of the forecastle rail a bit on the inside. a more realistic texture on that section, if you're willing to make it, would be to turn the plank on the side and the little piece above into one piece. then turn the plank on the side and front into two seperate pieces. they look like they're a single plank that goes round a corner at the moment. but all that really depends on how precise you want to be with the edges on the planking. if you'd want to be really precise, the top of the rail needs to be devided into 3 seperate pieces (at the least) as well. it all depends on wether or not you think the seams would be visible under the paint (same for several other very minor details). but i guess that's something for someone with more woodworking knowledge than i have.

for the rest, the ship's looking pretty sharp to me.

Absolutely gorgeous mate! She is really looking fantastic! :woot

looks good to me. certainly more detailed than any galleon model i've seen in-game so far. are you sure those belaying pins aren't overkill? i like them, but what's the polycount on those? only a few of them won't matter of course, and they look pretty low-poly. 7 polys or something on the heads.

only flaw i see is that the texture seems to have collided with the shape of the forecastle rail a bit on the inside. a more realistic texture on that section, if you're willing to make it, would be to turn the plank on the side and the little piece above into one piece. then turn the plank on the side and front into two seperate pieces. they look like they're a single plank that goes round a corner at the moment. but all that really depends on how precise you want to be with the edges on the planking. if you'd want to be really precise, the top of the rail needs to be devided into 3 seperate pieces (at the least) as well. it all depends on wether or not you think the seams would be visible under the paint (same for several other very minor details). but i guess that's something for someone with more woodworking knowledge than i have.

for the rest, the ship's looking pretty sharp to me.

With belaying pins you mean this?

They are 5 sided cylinders with 6 segments, so they have 35 Verts and 66 Faces each. I don't think that's too much for them. All in all there will be 30 to 40 (rough estimated) of them.

Can you point me to your second point. I don't get it through the text??? :shrug
Somewhere there?

the yellow, red plank are two pieces if you meant them.

Thank you, Thagarr, thank you.

yeah, the pins are fine, i guess. but i happen ti know that you can get carried away with detail a bit. i menaged to make a 200-something thousand model in sketchup, which i've been unable to complete due to ridiculous lag.

i meant the inner side of that rail. the surface that's painted white. maybe i could go kludge what i mean up in paint.

yeah, the pins are fine, i guess. but i happen ti know that you can get carried away with detail a bit. i menaged to make a 200-something thousand model in sketchup, which i've been unable to complete due to ridiculous lag.

i meant the inner side of that rail. the surface that's painted white. maybe i could go kludge what i mean up in paint.

So that part then!

have a look:

modded14.jpg

modded15.jpg

i forgot to circle the things i wanted to point out in the first image (some lines in that traingle), but you get the idea. white lines are lines i'd suggest removing, red lines are the new seams between planks. what do you think?

you know, that was a lot more obvious when i was painting it.

:onya Yaeh sure, i would'nd have said something other...
(does that sentence make sense in english?)

Your pictures helped a lot to clear these out.

I would have sought, that a woodworker would work the wood.... Argghhh
I would have sought, that a woodworker would have made the inlet (?) out of 3 pieces. One for each side.

Perhaps that is to much detail?

that'll work. these are all just bits of trimming, but it really adds to the overall quality if done right.

now that i think of it, the pattern of the inside and outside of the planking didn't match up in screenshots you posted of the stern on the previous page of this topic. have you looked at that yet? or want me to point out what i mean?

that'll work. these are all just bits of trimming, but it really adds to the overall quality if done right.

now that i think of it, the pattern of the inside and outside of the planking didn't match up in screenshots you posted of the stern on the previous page of this topic. have you looked at that yet? or want me to point out what i mean?

I think i know wath you mean. one moment im working on it...

Back