• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Tier 8 ships don't cost material to repair

jsv

Freebooter
Storm Modder
Regular repairs are not supposed to be free. At least I remember repairs consuming the goods.

But judging by this code (which, according to the comments in Russian, calculate amount of sailcloth/planks required to repair 1%):
Code:
int GetSailSPP(ref _refCharacter) // количество парусины на один процент починки
{
    return 8-GetCharacterShipClass(_refCharacter);
}
int GetHullPPP(ref _refCharacter) // количество досок на один процент починки
{
    return 8-GetCharacterShipClass(_refCharacter);
}

it is free for tier 8 ships.

I haven't checked if you can still repair if you've got no materials in your hold though.
After some testing with a new Sea Horse game: there is a definite bug here. When you check the repair speed in the interface, it tells you you can't process with repairs because you are out of planks/cloth. But the actual code in ProcessDayRepairs doesn't check whether you have any repair goods at all, it only checks whether you have enough goods to repair the damage... and, according to the above formulas, zero is quite enough to repair a tier 8 ship (and the code there is really lucky to avoid multiple divisions by zero :type1). So the damage gets repaired and you get the experience.

Last edited:
ohh, i see. That does come across as odd though, to the uninformed. I really thought it was a bug.
I don't think this repairing of tier 8 ships for free is intentional. It's probably a result of there being fewer tiers at some point in development.
Can be fixed either by changing 8 to 9 in those functions above (which would make all repairs more expensive in terms of material) or by ensuring the functions return a minimum of 1 (thus equaling tier 8 to tier 7).

By the way, there is another long-standing bug with repairs: when you start a new game, the initial damage to the sails gets fixed overnight, all 20-40% of it. It has something to do with the way this damage is dealt, although I do not remember the details.

Of course free repairs indeed aren't intentional, so I'd definitely appreciate it being looked into. :yes

How many tier 8 ships are there anyways?

Tartane, Gunboat, Dinghy. Not all that many.
I think the starting game Lugger is already Tier 7.

Still I'm not sure if that's a proper solution: it might make repairing highest tier ships too expensive.

We'll solve that problem when the time comes. There should be something that decides how much material is used for ship hp, i guess. It could do with a little reduction. 20%, maybe? 10? Repair materials can't do all that much, at the moment, but maybe they're not really meant to. I don't know what the reasoning behind it was at the time. A reasonably sized amount of materials should be able to repair about 10% of your hull, since that puts you permanently outside sinking range, and i'm pretty sure it does that right now. Wouldn't know about the higher tier ships though. Last time i had one of those was in the build 13 beta.

The actual effectiveness of repair should depend on your Repair SKILL, no? Not the amount of materials you've got on board.
But regardless of skill, you can't do everything if you don't have the materials either.

So I figure: Can repair up to 10%(?) without materials; can repair EVERYTHING if you do have materials.
But how fast the repairs go depends on your Repair Skill. And repairs are calculated at midnight.
The only repair in mid-battle would be the Ability for it.

IIRC, the repair speed depends also on total damage. The more damaged your ship is, the slower the repairs are.

The actual effectiveness of repair should depend on your Repair SKILL, no? Not the amount of materials you've got on board.
But regardless of skill, you can't do everything if you don't have the materials either.

So I figure: Can repair up to 10%(?) without materials; can repair EVERYTHING if you do have materials.
But how fast the repairs go depends on your Repair Skill. And repairs are calculated at midnight.
The only repair in mid-battle would be the Ability for it.

I've found that you tend to use quite a lot of material even with a maxed out repair skill.

The up to 10% without materials already exists in the form of the emergency repairs skill, but that's probably what you're talking about. There's no way you can repair the remaining 90% with what you've got in your hold though. Maybe 30. I could try cramming my whole ship full of planks some time to verify that though; it's pretty damaged. I'll look at how much hp needs to be repaired, look at how many planks are left by the time i reach 100% (or how many % i still need to go when the planks are gone) and go from there. Would be an interesting experiment. I'll also have a look at how the costs compare to what you'd have to pay in the shipyard, while i'm at it.

Currently, material consumption depends only on ship's tier. For a given ship it's always the same amount of goods per repaired percent.
The speed of repairs (that is, the percentage repaired overnight) increases with skill and decreases with the damage taken.
I'm speaking only of normal daily repairs here, perks are handled separately.

I'd say the amount of material should be tied to the repair costs in the shipyard.
If you have below X repair skill it should always be cheaper to repair your ship in the shipyard.
At one point buying the materials (if you also got the commerce skills) and repairing it yourself should be cheaper.

If I understand correctly, there is economics overhaul planned for the next beta? This fine-tuning can be done as a part of it, I guess. :)

I've found that you tend to use quite a lot of material even with a maxed out repair skill.
I don't think the repair skill should massively influence the amount of material you use. Certain % of hull damage = certain amount of wood missing.
You can use your material REALLY EFFICIENTLY, but the minimum amount of wood needed remains the same.

The up to 10% without materials already exists in the form of the emergency repairs skill, but that's probably what you're talking about. There's no way you can repair the remaining 90% with what you've got in your hold though. Maybe 30. I could try cramming my whole ship full of planks some time to verify that though; it's pretty damaged. I'll look at how much hp needs to be repaired, look at how many planks are left by the time i reach 100% (or how many % i still need to go when the planks are gone) and go from there. Would be an interesting experiment. I'll also have a look at how the costs compare to what you'd have to pay in the shipyard, while i'm at it.
I was speaking purely from my imagination of what I figure it should be like.
If you've got an infinite amount of planks, you may be allowed to repair all the way from 1% to 100%.
Though it is doubtful that would fit in your cargo hold. Let alone if you want to have anything else in there as well.

Currently, material consumption depends only on ship's tier. For a given ship it's always the same amount of goods per repaired percent.
The speed of repairs (that is, the percentage repaired overnight) increases with skill and decreases with the damage taken.
I'm speaking only of normal daily repairs here, perks are handled separately.
That does not actually sound unreasonable to me.

If I understand correctly, there is economics overhaul planned for the next beta? This fine-tuning can be done as a part of it, I guess. :)
@Levis indeed had some ideas to do that after the Beta 4 public release. :yes

I'd say the amount of material should be tied to the repair costs in the shipyard.
If you have below X repair skill it should always be cheaper to repair your ship in the shipyard.
At one point buying the materials (if you also got the commerce skills) and repairing it yourself should be cheaper.
Just for future reference, in case we'll decide to tackle that.
I've looked at shipyard code. For tiers 4-8, the price of repairs is based entirely on the ship cost, as specified in the ship data. For tiers 1-3 it's further divided by (4-tier).
Surprisingly enough, it doesn't take your commerce skill into account. I verified that in a game, by tossing all my commerce-increasing items. Ship prices go up, repair prices do not.

That does sound somewhat counter-intuitive. Should it not be the same logic applied to all ships regardless of tier? :shock

This is OT to this conversation, but I have been doing some reading on ship repair.

It was common practice when a hull was holed in battle to drop sailcloth over the side and wrap it around the hull, then tie it down. This greatly reduced the amount of water coming in and allowed the repair crews to patch the holes from the inside.

In one article it was mentioned that many of the ships in the Spanish Armada were so battered by storms off Ireland that they wrapped the hulls in stout ropes to hold them together. Those ships must have been a sight when they finally limped into port wrapped in sailcloth and held together with ropes. :8q

For this conversation it seems skill is much more important than material.

It was common practice when a hull was holed in battle to drop sailcloth over the side and wrap it around the hull, then tie it down. This greatly reduced the amount of water coming in and allowed the repair crews to patch the holes from the inside.
They do that in the first or second of the Hornblower films too.

Back