• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Unintended Fights

Ok,

I think I might have missed some of the fixes. I just opened another empty chest on Boca Hubon.

@Jason: You play with the Shore Crewmembers, don't you?
Can you send them all to the ship and then see if you still get this problem?
I wonder if this problem is with the normal town guards or with the extra encounters generated when Shore Crewmembers are enabled.

@ANSEL, @Grey Roger and @Hylie Pistof: Assuming that you DON'T play with Shore Crewmembers, have you noticed any soldiers turning hostile to you for no apparent reason lately?
I specifically care about town guards here. So the characters standing guard at all the gates.

I had the problem in my last game where the soldiers walking around in taverns attacked me on sight after one of them wrongly accused me of being a spy. How could a French citizen in a French tavern in a French port be a spy?

In my current game that has not happened and all soldiers behave normally.

I wonder if this problem is with the normal town guards or with the extra encounters generated when Shore Crewmembers are enabled.

@ANSEL, @Grey Roger and @Hylie Pistof: Assuming that you DON'T play with Shore Crewmembers, have you noticed any soldiers turning hostile to you for no apparent reason lately?
I specifically care about town guards here. So the characters standing guard at all the gates.

I have had this problem with and without shore crew members.

No I havent meet hostile soldiers of that kind lately. But yesterday I took some crewmembers at shore
and run into crowds of hostile bandit and pirates a lot of times. Dont know about towns really, I think
I have a odd fight at the gate of some town, involving most civilians or bandits, I will be aware of it next
I play.

On reflection, I am not sure I had the random attack of the soldiers with shore crew. I check on that soon. There have always been periodic raids by large groups of pirates/bandits in the game at least since Build 14 and I think back as far as 13. These attacks or raids usually occur when get to a port late at night.

Eureka! Going ashore with shore crew trigged a random attack by a soldier and he was immortal. So that might be where the problem is.

No, there haven't been periodic raids in the game. Not really, anyway.
Only with Shore Crewmembers.

Of course there may be random enemies generated anywhere, making it hard to tell the difference.
But from a code point of view, the regular random enemies are VERY different from the extra raids that you get with Shore Crewmembers ON.
You can tell the difference because the raids give an onscreen message like "SOLDIERS PATROL!!!" when you load into the location.

No soldiers have turned hostile to me, at least not unless I've given them a reason to. Admittedly this is very early in a game and I have no Fame, so they don't know I'm a pirate. :rpirate

No soldiers have turned hostile to me, at least not unless I've given them a reason to. Admittedly this is very early in a game and I have no Fame, so they don't know I'm a pirate. :rpirate
Fame only affects any false flag recognizing through dialog; if that happens, you should notice because the dialog calls you out on it.
There are people who apparently have had soldiers turning hostile without dialog though.
Seemingly randomly, so we're trying to figure out whatever may be responsible for triggering that behaviour.

Anyway, thanks for confirming that you haven't had that yet. :doff

I had a bar brawl after refusing to sit and drink with a patron. After this every tavern that I enter that has a soldier in it results in an immediate fight between my officers and the soldier.

This is on every Island.

To get around this I have to get a house occupant to "talk to the guards" for me and pay some money to get them to stop - only works for that island. I just let my officers kill them now as no other reputation loss etc occurs.

This is only in the latest update 24 Jan + Levis fixes.

Talk to the guards actually helps? For that Island only?
That is VERY interesting. I'll need to have a look at what that does again. :woot

I'm doing rather a lot of work on this one today again, in the hope of calming down these crazy NPC characters.
So far, I did the following:

- There were a GAZILLION individual functions to determine the name of soldier and/or citizen groups.
Not all of these functions may have worked correctly for player-controlled towns.
Therefore I got rid of pointless functions and rewrote the rest so they all get relayed to the SAME functions.
That means we finally get some measure of control over this.

- Most of the tavern fights got triggered by Random_Raid, which was a near-carbon-copy of the Ambush one.
But where the Ambush one has recently been updated for all sorts of things, Rapid_Raid was massively out-of-date.
Therefore I adapted Ambush to support the Rapid_Raid functionality, then relayed that one to point to Ambush instead.
In other words: Now we've got ONE function that works like those two used to. So again, more centralized = more control.

- I noticed a lot of times "friend" (aka. LAI_GROUP_FRIEND) was used in calls to these functions.
That is quite dangerous, because soldiers could get generated in the "ambush" group and when you attack them, all OTHER AI groups get upset with you too.
So I replaced that with LAI_GROUP_NEUTRAL now, so other AI groups will stay out of it.
Unless they accidentally get hit; that still causes all sorts of zaniness :razz

- Number of enemies for "soldier ambushes" in taverns has been reduced to 2/1 as many more simply don't fit comfortably.

- Tavern soldiers (including ambush ones) are included in the NORMAL town soldier groups and not placed in their own individual groups anymore.
Because the normal groups are intialized properly, that means we also have control over them.
There is code in place to "calm them down" upon each location reload.
It is still up for debate whether we should want that, but for now I'll settle for as little crazy fights as possible... :wp

The system isn't perfect yet, but at least with less double code and more centralized functionality, we have more control.
So I reckon that while this problem probably hasn't been 100% solved yet, it does seem to behave more reasonably than it did these past two weeks.

It has been a week since I made the last fixes to this.
Who has been playing the game this past week? Did you notice any crazy fights involving town guards either in or outside the taverns?
Specifically fights that start right after loading into the location?

It has been a week since I made the last fixes to this.
Who has been playing the game this past week? Did you notice any crazy fights involving town guards either in or outside the taverns?
Specifically fights that start right after loading into the location?
I havent seen any thing like this for a long time.

Good to hear, @ANSEL!
Just to clarify, how long is a long time?
I know it was still a bit dodgy one week ago.

Back