• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

We Have the Storm Engine!

Now, would it be possible to divide the source code up into multiple levels as well? ...

Sounds kewl but I think what Akella wants is a contract. Or...

Appearently (I don't have AoP) they have used some of the code from this community :will, that could be something to use in negotiations. Although I think it wouldn't be a big deal for them as they can think of features themselves. And have a marketing departement wich sort out what the market wants/need. This is only cheap for them. If you have real good plans wich you can explain into the deepest detail they might want to speed up things themselves. But the plans should - and that is a must - be realistic and proffesional. Ouch, I am seeying a closed/private forum comming up here, hehe.

cee you,
Two eyed
(yes yes one is blind and the other has a patch)
:modding

Hi all,

Want to ask what your opinion would be about having our own 3d engine. hehe, started already :cheeky writing one (no sea yet, bummer).

Cool thing about that would be, all features except the limits we put in ourself, that there are none. Hehe, sounds euforic. Engines always end up with stupid limitations. When time passes we good upgrade the engine to new standards (and yes _it is_ possible to keep supporting older systems).

No need for Akella anymore, depending on what they want.

Our own ships, characters storylines, looks and features we think of ourselves.

Ofcourse that will mean we need to start all over again and (as I understood) leave some parts behind. i.e. Akella used some stuff in AoP so they propably have copyrighted them.

cy
Two Eyed
(Maybe this could/should be a new topic)
:modding got to love to hate computers hehe

Starting again really isnt a good idea I dont think, there has been many suggestions of moving onto a different engine that are open sourced and these have been said as to be not good ideas as it would require more effort than we can give to do it

Starting again really isnt a good idea I dont think, there has been many suggestions of moving onto a different engine that are open sourced and these have been said as to be not good ideas as it would require more effort than we can give to do it

Realy doubt that it would take more effort. Can't they coexist together? :drunk

Can write my source just like the POTC structure. The hard part of code is up to me and modders can (re)write the parts as in the POTC.

cy
Two Eyed

I sent this PM to Mr. Zaitsev:
Dear Mr. Zaitsev,

We thank you again for your dedication and support to us and would like to inform you of the security measures we intend to put in place to prevent leaking the Storm engine source code if you decide to share it with us.

We intend to keep the files in a password-protected ZIP file that will be distributed to only really trusted members by e-mail. This will ensure that there is no download link that could be leaked and the only people with access to it are the ones that have already proven to us to be trustworthy.

We believe that these are the best security measures that we can possibly take and hope that this will be enough for you to convince you that sharing the code with us will not cause you any harm.

Of course we will not make use of your code for profit and will only use it to further our modding efforts on your fine games.

Thanks very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Pieter Boelen
PiratesAhoy! Community Leader
I wrote it in an attempt to be curtious, appreciative and explain to him why he can trust us.
I think this is all we can do. Either he agrees or he doesn't.
Either way, let's hope we'll have some clarity soon.

Thank you Pieter, I think it would mean more coming from you than me or Keith as you are seen as the head of the mod :yes

Lets just hope now :doff

Hi,

BTW, I'm talking "CoAS Storm Engine" here,

When I asked another site for AOP animation source they said that only one modding group would be given source code etc. for each game,(presumably),.so they could'nt let me have it.
So,putting that into perspective means..Seaward developed the game,and are modding it,....BG.ru are modding it and are releasing or have released SoFS_2 for CoAS...So..adding 2+2 togeather most likely means we're not going to get it :shrug

Well I'm not going to hold my breath for it anyway.

I said I'd ask again to get it,..I will, but do'nt hold much hope. I think we were lucky to get the animation files.

:cheers
damski.

Yesterday's message seems to have yielded some results and it appears that we are getting somewhere.
Without proper internet, I can't check where "somewhere" is though, so I'm awaiting Captain Maggee's or Pirate_KK's findings.

We have got the Storm Engine!!!!!

We now know exactly what it includes and can confirm it is for Storm Engine 2.8 (CoAS), and that it also uses C++ code (like we expected)

This is truely a great day for the Pirates Ahoy! Community
:piratesahoy!

We have got the Storm Engine!!!!!

We now know exactly what it includes and can confirm it is for Storm Engine 2.8 (CoAS), and that it also uses C++ code (like we expected)

This is truely a great day for the Pirates Ahoy! Community
:piratesahoy!

When do we get to look at it?

YAAAAAAAAY, ONE BIG HOORAH FOR PIETER, DAMSKI, CAPTAIN MAGGEE AND PIRATE_KK.

However, does this mean we are going to change our course to AOP2? Since we have the storm engine of that game now.

Fantastic news mate! Good work Pieter, Captain Maggee, damski62, pirate_kk and Keith! :dance :cheers

I'd like to thank Keith, Pieter, Captain Maggee and Damski62 for all their efforts to obtain the engine.

@Thomas the Terror & Thagarr,
thank you very much for your very elegant expression of a gratitude toward me, but  you shouldn't really thank me, as I did literally nothing to achieve this wonderful goal. All credits go to people I mentioned above.

pirate_kk

Hi,

One person that's not been mentioned.....Peter Willemoes....who got the ball rolling in the first place :doff

:cheers
damski.

PS....when are we getting it?

Part of the agreement we have with Seaward.ru is that it will only be accessable by members who
a) can make use of it
b) has a high level of trust that they will use it properally

So at the current time the only members who have access are Pieter, Pirate_KK and myself. This is how it will stay for awhile until KK can take a closer look and probably when Pieter gets back from sea.

If a member wants access it will be quite a process we will have to go through to see if they are "worthy" of it, some will be nominated by us and others can ask and we will consider them :yes

Did we get both animation source files....male\female?
No, we didn't. It's a source code to the engine - meaning engine.exe and dlls in MODULES\ folder.
pirate_kk 

PS. I wonder, aren't those animations editable with Maya plus those tools Akella gave to us earlier? I'm not a modeler and I didn't even check those files carefully, so I can ask stupid question here...

Hi,

All the animation files we have are editable,POTC ahd CoAS...yes.
We're just short of the female for CoAS.I started copying the POTC animation to the CoAS skeleton,but with 4000+ frames to match up it would take forever to finish and probably a bit jerky in parts....so maybe not a good idea to carry on with it?

damski.

Back