• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What would you like to see in Humberto Diaz's storyline?

While i like the idea 16th century storyline- with this game it causes many historical impossibilities (don't wanna sound like historyfreak but anyway :cheeky ) there were absolutely no rum, telescopes, flintlocks or cutlasses in 16th century so many main elements of the game should be removed or replaced for accuracy..... of course it could be unrealistic 16th century :wp even historical documents use to mess up with those things..... Cortés or Francis Drake were unable to use the telescope that became common 1630s or so..... original POTC game is historically very inaccurate as well, supposedly taking place 1630- at the time Portugal was part of Spain even- or they were ruled by same king at least....
and Holland was republic btw... mention of "Dutch King" is historical error at the time :wp

so in 16th century storyline i would like to see Rum replaced with simply water or wine(there is wine already but crew doesn't drink it), no telescopes or cutlasses and matchlock muskets and wheellock pistols instead of 17th century flintlocks.... just for periodaccuracy :cheeky

All possible, though requires a fair amount of work. I can assure the game is a whooole lot more period-accurate already though. :wp

All possible, though requires a fair amount of work. I can assure the game is a whooole lot more period-accurate already though. :wp
Than original? Yeah that game managed to choose totally wrong year to take place :facepalm ...... caribbean hardly had any english, dutch or french settlements 1630- some small ones yes but mostly there were just spanish- not much sugarcanes and rum or even active buccaneers yet- those guys existed but were hunting pigs at the time and were newbies in pirating business -not legends yet...... not even to mention overall style of british for example- tricornes and redcoats are 18th century style and that governor Silehard has tiny wig like 1760s fashion or something, wigs were not even commonly used 1630 and early wigs later during time of Louis XIV were huge......

I agree with you about the lack of historical accuracy in the game, but I think you are overanalyzing everything. They had very early forms of the telescope in the 16th century, though it wasn't perfected until Hans Lipershey in 1608. They did have muskets and musketoons in the 16th century, along with rapiers. I am not trying to make a historically accurate storyline, though I will work with what we have to come as close as possible. Take a look at Bartolomeu's storylines as he adds cursed caravels and POTC characters and Aztec curses in his storylines. When I am done with El Patron, if I have time, I will most likely work on a more historically based questline involving my namesake.

I agree with you about the lack of historical accuracy in the game, but I think you are overanalyzing everything. They had very early forms of the telescope in the 16th century, though it wasn't perfected until Hans Lipershey in 1608. They did have muskets and musketoons in the 16th century, along with rapiers.
Sorry i was being too overanalyzing i guess xD: ... idea of telescope with two lenses together making it easier to see objects far away is quite simple, but fact is that it was not in common use during 16th century even if someone would have developed that for his own use..... so having several different telescopes sold in every port is rather inaccurate during 16th century......
muskets with matchlocks and even pistols with wheellock mechanism are 16th century stuff though and rapiers certainly....but no cutlasses- even though their predecessors long knives and broadswords etc. were used...... would be great to see period accurate 16th century storyline though- i like the idea :gday .... but it requires new stuff like that.......

I am not trying to make a historically accurate storyline, though I will work with what we have to come as close as possible. Take a look at Bartolomeu's storylines as he adds cursed caravels and POTC characters and Aztec curses in his storylines. When I am done with El Patron, if I have time, I will most likely work on a more historically based questline involving my namesake.
What..... Aztec curses are not historical? :eek: xD: Well don't want to nitpick- making 100 percent historically accurate stuff is not even fun...... but is it fun to have steamboats, Ak-47s or computers used by the 17th century buccaneers? :blah: I have studied pirate-era from 16th century to 19th century so much that seeing Sir Francis Drake with a telescope feels almost like seeing him playing Game Boy or something....... that's so 17th century (Telescope not Game Boy :blah: )

Many times anachronisms are just innocent ignorance and easy to avoid....... btw that old Errol Flynn movie about your namesake is awesome.... but then he is attacked by napoleonic era ship in the end :rolleyes:

LOL, the 30 gunned galleon they refer to as a Frigate attacking the 100 gun ship of the line! That was almost as funny as the Black Pearl and the Dutchman sinking the Endeavor in thirty seconds. :blah: After all, it is good business! xD:

Oh, and the Captain Blood movie with Errol Flynn is actually based on a book by Rafael Sabatini which I will be basing the storyline on (the movie left out a LOT of stuff)

original POTC game is historically very inaccurate as well, supposedly taking place 1630- at the time Portugal was part of Spain even- or they were ruled by same king at least....
and Holland was republic btw... mention of "Dutch King" is historical error at the time :wp

I am confused. The Nathanial Hawk storyline starts in 1690. Does it not?:eek:k

It's 1690 in the modpack, but not in the original game.

We're trying to enhance historical realism over the original game, but we can't go 100%. We definitely DID tune down on the supernatural though.
It's still there, but only in quest instances. No more mummies and skeletons in random encounters.

How?

Going even further, how do we change what Keira Knightly says? Or should we redo the sound completely?

Would it be possible to trigger it in two different ways depending on if you are doing realistic or fake Caribbean? If it is fake, we simply keep Kierra Knightley's narration. If not, we can find someone else to do the voiceover exactly the same, the only difference being "Speightstown was a typical English village, bustling, prosperous, until a fleet of warshps attacked under the colours of France"

We would need to do the entire sound track then, including sound effects and music. NOT an easy task.
And that still doesn't answer how we're going to replace that text in the video.

Do you think Bartolomeu will mind me using his Veracruz location? Or should I create my own (because I had an idea before he even created his).

He won't mind; best use what's already there and spend your time on other things.

LOL, the 30 gunned galleon they refer to as a Frigate attacking the 100 gun ship of the line! That was almost as funny as the Black Pearl and the Dutchman sinking the Endeavor in thirty seconds. :blah: After all, it is good business! xD:
I wonder what would really happen if one big ship is caught between two firing ships- would two attacking ships also hit each other with their cannons.... would be bloody mess anyway....... well movies tend to have their own physics and logic
and apparently history as well xD:

Oh, and the Captain Blood movie with Errol Flynn is actually based on a book by Rafael Sabatini which I will be basing the storyline on (the movie left out a LOT of stuff)
Oh yes i know that - And don't think I don't! :j2

But i'm familiar with the movie but not the book.... I watched Son of Captain Blood -movie recently- what a piece of c*** compared to original Blood..... if that earthquake there is supposedly 1692 earthquake- how Captain Blood who pirated 1685 is able to have 20 year old son 7 years later? :8q

xD: that is far beyond my understanding......

cough cough- now to actual subject.... 16th century storyline needs 16th century-stuff - conquistadores and indians certainly- perhaps french privateers- is there any archrival planned for Diaz- some french- even better huguenot - pirate would be great choice IMO :doff

Oh wait it was 1520- then huguenot would be anachronism i fear :facepalm - but some 'godless pirate' anyway :slap

I had several villains planned for the storyline. Not one of them is the main villain, but they all commit equally villainous crimes.

Jean Fleury: A french filibuster

Governor Don Diego Velasquez: The corrupt governor of Havana

Vandersloot (I bet you can't guess where I "borrowed" his name): A Dutch revolutionary trying to break away from Spain; a buccaneer and commander of the Dutch Caribbean forces (In real life, the Dutch revolution didn't start until 1566, but this storyline tales place in a forty year period, even though the game world clock doesn't say)

Carlos Espinada: Your wife's "dead" husband, now captain of the infamous ghost ship "Negro Perla"

Lord Oliver Fitz-William: An English General trying to expand the English influence to the New World (don't worry, the English don't have any colonies, only a small fort on Mona; the first permanent British colony wasn't built until 1607 at Jamestowne, Virginia)

Pedro Rios: A Portuguese explorer

I had several villains planned for the storyline. Not one of them is the main villain, but they all commit equally villainous crimes.

Jean Fleury: A french filibuster
Man who really pirated Gold of Cortés isn't that so? Good choice :doff fictional guy however would allow story to go more extreme directions but well... movies have had dozen different Blackbeards some of them bosses of Anne Bonny :rolleyes: and some hunted by Henry Morgan :diomed: latest one was still alive 1750...... (but maybe Tia Dalma is behind that she tends to bring pirates back to life on daily bases xD: )

so you cannot do anything with Jean Fleury that would be more historically inaccurate really :)) ......

Governor Don Diego Velasquez: The corrupt governor of Havana

Vandersloot (I bet you can't guess where I "borrowed" his name): A Dutch revolutionary trying to break away from Spain; a buccaneer and commander of the Dutch Caribbean forces (In real life, the Dutch revolution didn't start until 1566, but this storyline tales place in a forty year period, even though the game world clock doesn't say)
Isn't it possible in theory to sail around the seas so long that clock reaches the 1566? xD: And i have no idea about origins of that name....but sounds like a very good name for Dutch
Carlos Espinada: Your wife's "dead" husband, now captain of the infamous ghost ship "Negro Perla"
Negro Perla? Haha i cracked up at this point..... but having ghost captain as former husband of your wife is certainly scary :shock

I fear that new models are required for 16thcentury gentlemen- there is few good models though.....

anyway sounds good- spanish and portuguese caravelas need to be common and so on....

Even though it isn't a good model for a 16th century guy, I am planning on giving Vandersloot the "9JdPor" or "9JdDut" model. The only innacuracy is the fact that he has a tricorne.

Even though it isn't a good model for a 16th century guy, I am planning on giving Vandersloot the "9JdPor" or "9JdDut" model. The only innacuracy is the fact that he has a tricorne.
Well we can always pretend :wp that it is supposedly not tricorne but hat like this or this

those look in fact much like tricornes don't they? - Most of them being tricornered too- and they are style of 16th century so not necessarily problem mate :cheers

Back