• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

why always the caribean?

A last little thing about navigation : there is currently not one game whith an accurate navigation system. Silent hunter, virtual sailor, ship simulator and many others all display a gps-like auto updated ship position. So, no sextant, not celestial navigation. But theres worse : the dead reckoning, which is the most basic and simple navigation method, used since the antiquity and on all types of vehicles (age of sail wooden ships, planes, modern ships...) isn't possible either ingame.
Sory 'bawt me rusti Hinglische.

Just saw this topic there are my 2 cents...
Probably most of you don't know but the people whcih laid the foundation of this game many years ago created similar type of game in which the hero was exactly a royal fleet captain. Sorry forgot the name of the game; it was released under the logo of some relatively big game company but the job was done in Russia and for the tiem being it was the most perfect incarnation of real sea battles... and after I wrote "sea battles" something "sea legends" started to appear in my mind... doing some googling... hmmm... not quite sure but it may be really the game "Sea Legends" (and the idiot reviewers are comparing it with MS Pirates...
Anyway - the story of the game is exactly about the second son of an english noble, who choose the navy career and is appointed as a captain of a fregate in the Caribean where serves as a governor his uncle. After a while a nice plot develops (incl high treason) and everything at the end appears to be because of the priceless aztec artefact (surprise, surprise)!

Sea Legends is by a different company (I actually have it, believe it or not, although I have never played it), Akella's older series was Age of Sail. Sea Legends was developed by Ocean, which was later bought by Infogrames.

I'm pretty sure Virtual Sailor has an accurate celestial sky and an instrument for measuring the altitude of stars like with a sextant.
You should be able to calculate your position from that.
Dead Reckoning you can do on paper or in Excel too; you just won't get to see the DR position on the map.

Sea Legends is by a different company (I actually have it, believe it or not, although I have never played it), Akella's older series was Age of Sail. Sea Legends was developed by Ocean, which was later bought by Infogrames.
No, it was not developped by Ocean, but by the russian Nival Interactive which at the time when it made Sea Legends was named "Mir Dialogue". I was wrong thinking the company evolved in Akella because of the striking resemblance between Sea Legends and this sequels. Will make some more checks to see the names of the real persons behind the games.

Edit: It appears the people are different too. The guy behind Sea Legends was Serge Orlovski. At least untill 2004 he still was in Nival Interactive.

Well Wiki claims it was made by Ocean and the version I have doesn't come with a readme. :shrug

In the XVI and XVII centuries captains were employed by merchants and rich men(or rulers for that matter)and therefore they rarely owned the ship they were sailing with.They had to pay a big share out of the booty and had to work(or loot)hard to buy out the ship and most of the time the owners weren't willing to sell them since they were the source of their wealth.It is not true that a captain who captured a ship(especially a naval officer!!!)became rich simply because they had to pay not only to the owners but also to his ruler.That's why pirate(well most pirates sailed under one of the european kingdom's flag-the rulers or kings issued piracy letters-similar to letter of marque and gave them authority to sink and board enemy ships)stories are much more entertaining because they did whatever they wanted and kept the captured ship(though it rarely happened since they had to transfer crew which slowed down their ship big time)while a navy captain's life was more 'boring'-patrols-more patrols-pirate hunting( :wp.
Every captain(even pirates)had to pay TAX!!!We all now that tax is as sure as death though everyones dream is to avoid both.
That is what I don't like in all pirate games-u can sell ur booty to the local merchant with HUGE profit and noone says a word.
In reality the captains had to pay tax unless they could bribe the proper officer(s) but as today everyone was corrupt then so even governors and commanders wanted their share out of the towns chests.
So I don't think it was so easy to get rich in a few years back then and it wasn't so easy to become the owner of a ship either.
Another thing is selling the cargo itself wasn't always straightforward(like in coas u can easily sell tons of cargo for millions of piasters!!!)and obviously the more cargo they had the more sacrifice they had to make.Haggling was very very common that times(try to go in tesco and tell the pretty girl behind the counter that ur not willing to pay that much-she'll be all over u)and lots of type of cargo had to be sold even well under real market price.Merchants and ports also barely paid the cargo full often paid with drafts or proposed to trade goods with goods.
So its not like in coas u go into town with a 5ship squadron-sell tons of cargo in a day(!) become millionare fix ur ships in a week(fallen masts!!)and off u go.
I would prefer a game where not the detais of the landscape is dominant but the atmosphere of that era...

Oh yeah and do not think that if a naval officer did his duties well and in time they got promoted that easily-corruption and 'friendships' and family bonds and noble lineage were much more important back then.

Uncharted waters, now that brings back memories. Sadly the other titles in the series were never translated. I have a PSP and wanted, the remake of Uncharted waters 4, but that is only available in japanese...And the music for Uncharted Waters was done by Yokko Kanno, a composer well known in the ranks of the anime fans ( Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne are just a few examples )

I am also a big fun for Uncharted Waters, nice gameplay and quite a good storyline.
It is still my favorites against other pirates games atually.

Cannot wait for the english version of uncharted waters 3 or 4..

A world map in AoP would be GREAT!!! So many possibilities!

I like the idea about being able to go many places in the world then more kind of goods could be made like rice and spices in India.
I also think that a game mode like a military career could be awesome where you could move up in the ranks.
Different time periods too with the United states in one of them.

Personally I think Caribbean area is rather satisfactory as operating area at this state of pirate games. But maybe containing more of for instance America east coast. But of course "in future" you may sail anywhere. But the main problem I think is lack of realism on the islands, using
the same elements of landscape parts whereever you go. And the paths generated this way don't even match the simple maps bought from item-sellers. Although maybe these linked
landscape elements match in some rough way. This running on islands is fun, but it is disappointing finding identical geographic components everywhere. The forts and paths to them are identical (or mirrored) and so on. Perhaps
they use too complex landscape components, making it impossible make regions more
individual. But if making landscape too realistic, you of course no longer can run
from "town to town" as if they were some 100 meter distant. A new land navigation
system should be needed, maybe corresponding to that on sea. Navigation system on sea I think is very good - maybe corresponding on land is possible? Maybe also using carts
towed by horses or donkeys, corresponding to sailing ships. :shrug

Back