• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Willemstad Builders' Trials

Of course the current Realistic Game Mode controls more than just the sailing model.
But coupled with that, it DOES give you two different games. :yes

Hey guys, I've been playing Build 13 Final because its the most bug free, but this new sailing tactics thing sounds like it could add a lot to the ship battles. Seeing as ship combat is pretty much all I do in this game I am very excited about the possibility of more involving and tactical sailing. I will admit to knowing very little about actual ship handling but I think once I figure out how it works it will be more fun than the original game. You all are doing an awesome job at making this game so much more than it was. I would love to playtest WBT and give you guys some feedback.
-L0M3N

I think on by default as well... However having said this we should also have a big NOTE: on the forum and ModDB saying that realistic is on by default and if you want to play arcade mode you need to change it in the advanced options :yes

On by default, it is. :yes
And of course we'll make clear notice of this everywhere that is appropriate.
And if people don't read that...? Well, THEN it's their problem! :razz

so, i gather the cargo capacity is being lowered? in that case, keep an eye on possible issues with cargo quests. i don't think the impact will be that significant, but you never know. a lowering of the max amount of goods you'd get from such a quest might have to be tuned down a little to allow all of these quests to be acceptable with at the most the biggest ship.

Lowered only on ships that had silly values. I think the rest remained the same.

All ships refitted and now in quality control; Might toss in a couple new rig types for the xebec for historical accuracy.

Nothing special, I'd simply like a Polacre

203px-Sail_plan_xebec.svg.png

Which is a xebec chasing a brig, literally :)

It's tempting to learn some rerigging work (have to learn how real sails operated to get it right) but I'll have to finish my hundred million tons of Beta documentation, unfortunately. Oh and dream about a certain new and very large war galleon hopefully making the dateline.

ooh, sweet. i made a model of a polacca in lego with fully functional rigging. it's posted here on the forum.
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?/the-lego-polacca-my-newest-creation-t12791.html/page__hl__lego%20polacca
i've always wanted to see one of those things.

image isn't working here though.

it's not flawless, i'll say that. the foremast is too close to the main, and i might have the odd wrope wrong here and there. the lateen, for one thing, doesn't look like it could be properly swung round, but i think that that's a flaw in the drawings i used. it's not anything an untrained eye would see, however.

I'd say any ship is better than no ship and I'll agree with the rest of your fans that it's pretty fantastic work getting the boat to look right :)

In any case there's no real urgency on the modified xebec, WBT gives 3 types of xebecs anyway (stock models a generic type and custom skinned ones upgraded privateer versions) and we have lots of interesting schooners already. If anything xebecs were apparently quite rare ships (sources quote them as "unusual") outside of the Med and Indian Ocean and the current shiplist does make them rarer and thus more realistic than in stock (they're the ultimate 'destroyers' sailing at up to 20 knots).

Update, as I'm finishing the photoshoot for large ships I discovered I need to review waterlines for all 3rd rate vessels; some of them had gun decks flooding even in calm seas.

No promises but SC and I may have galleon San Martin ready for tomorrow.

Future ships in this modelling partnership will benefit from new planning styles; I've noticed some ships were modelled on an even keel, not sailing trim, and so they look funny underway. A good example of this is the Fastgalleon1; my intention is for SuperChango to do a quick import/rotate/export to make the ship back heavy so I can once again lower the waterline to a realistic level. This awareness on optimal trim was gleaned from our WBT to CoAS/RTBL discussions.

For those interested, a draft manual is available:

http://www.filefront.com/15365391/SWS%20Willemstad%20Builders%27%20Trials%20Final%20-%20no%20bookmarks.pdf

I now included information on the WBT mod in the Features of the Build Mod project.
Snow White Sorrow, could you please have a look through it and mention if any of the WBT-related parts are wrong or incomplete.
I did reference to your own documentation, which is infinitly better than what is presented here.
The main intent of the text in this article/manual-to-be is to provide a very brief overview of what your mod does
and hopefully encourage people to look further into it by reading your own Willemstad Builders' Trials documentation.

Back