• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

Some people swear by windowed mode. Others swear at it. I'm in the latter category - mostly it works, but if I'm indoors and try to turn around, it's very slow as if my character was standing in a tar pit. So I always use full screen mode. I only have 1 monitor, a relatively low power graphics card by today's standards, and Windows 7.

In other words, if windowed mode doesn't work and full screen mode does, use full screen mode. :D

Besides the build mod specifically stating never to run in fullscreen mode, I specifically got a 1080ti card to run any game in borderless mode at 165hz 2k as to easily do stufd on my secondary 2k monitor simultaneously :p

The main (and perhaps only) advantage of "windowed" mode is that you can Alt+Tab in/out of the game at will.

if I'm indoors and try to turn around, it's very slow as if my character was standing in a tar pit.
Isn't that exactly the issue that this thread is about?

Isn't that exactly the issue that this thread is about?
"Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (Because Of!) Good Hardware".

Whereas I have Windows 7, get good frame rates in full screen mode, and don't have particularly good graphics hardware. This is not quite what the thread is about. ;) My point was, if windowed mode doesn't work properly and full screen mode does, use full screen mode - regardless of OS. :D

Hmm... I wouldn't be surprised if the issue could occur in Windows 7 as well.
But I don't know that for sure...

I think I had a solution in here

When i Played normal and Modded POTC in Loading I waited 19 min to start loading

I Hold Press F11 and that possiblli worked in loading screen

This was the first time i actually sat down to play POTC a bit, on my new PC while testing and i felt something was wrong, and i remembered this thread and decided to check out RivaTuner and now the game runs perfectly!!!
:pflag:bird::cheers

Guys, I'm sorry for reviving this old thread, but it's been more than a year since I felt like telling you something very important. I managed to solve Pirates of the Caribbean's low fps issues on Windows 10 with one very simple thing, we don't need Bandicam or anything, maybe those who use Intel integrated graphics card still need Intel Graphics Fix, but my fix is for those who use video card separate from the processor.
Do the following:
1. Download dgVoodoo v2.55.4
2. Extract the files on your Desktop\dgVoodoo2_55_4
3. Open the "dgVoodoo2_55_4" folder you just created in this process
4. Copy the "dgVoodoo.conf", "dgVoodooCpl.exe" files and the file inside the "dgVoodoo2_55_4\MS" folder named "D3D8.dll". Copy these 3 files into the Pirates of the Caribbean game main directory
5. Make sure (Safe mode) is disabled in "Config.exe"
6. Edit the "engine.ini" file to match your screen resolution if needed as "Config.exe" does not allow resolutions above 1600x1200.
7. Execute "dgVoodooCpl.exe" once as Administrator and click (OK)
8. Done! Enjoy the game!! :)

Last edited:
Hi @The Nameless Pirate!

So you don't need to run it every time you open the game?
No, you don't, you just need to run it one time, to make sure dgVoodoo settings are set properly.

I recommend to use dgVoodoo even if you are using New Horizons mod. I noticed some flicktering on the main menu game screen and during gameplay too, this dgVoodoo is really a miraculous thing, makes the game run like it was suppose to run, do not make it any darker or something, all colors and the game itself will be like it was supose to be.

Ps: GOG itself uses dgVoodoo a lot to run properly its old games on newer operations systems, like Windows 10 of course.

Pss: I would recommend the New Horizons project team to start including dgVoodoo in their future builds as one more fix for the game, an essential fix on top of that.

No, you don't, you just need to run it one time, to make sure dgVoodoo settings are set properly.
Very nice! :cheers:bow

Pss: I would recommend the New Horizons project team to start including dgVoodoo in their future builds as one more fix for the game, an essential fix on top of that.
@Grey Roger, is responsible for gathering the files for the updates.

I would recommend the New Horizons project team to start including dgVoodoo in their future builds as one more fix for the game, an essential fix on top of that.
That does sound worthwhile.

Could you (or someone) make a ZIP archive of the files needed for that?
Ideally with as many settings as possible already set up correctly?

A big challenge is always to make the installation process as foolproof as possible.
There's a VERY wide variety in how clever the players are... :wp

...Could you (or someone) make a ZIP archive of the files needed for that?...
Yes please @Atum262 . I tried looking it up and I'm not sure which is the correct file(s). Capture.JPG I'm always getting this. So, it'd be nice if you could just make a zip for the one you're currently using.

There is also probably a variety in people's systems. What works for one might not work for others.

We can safely say that Voodoo is not an essential fix as plenty of people are running PoTC without Voodoo and without problems. So the first question is, can Voodoo cause problems for those who currently have none? In particular, if it's for Windows 10 then the second question is, what will it do to any system running Windows 7?

I wouldn't recommend including it as part of a PoTC:NH general installer. Instead, perhaps put a link to Voodoo somewhere more prominent on the website, then sticky it. (Except that, given what @DavyJack reported, doing that might get us classed as a malware site ourselves...)

I think the idea would be to add it to the installer instead of the Intel Fix.
That's optional and only installed if people specifically ask for it.

While the Intel Fix works, it also makes the water look quite crappy so an alternate solution that keeps both the performance and the looks would be preferable.

maybe those who use Intel integrated graphics card still need Intel Graphics Fix
I think the idea would be to add it to the installer instead of the Intel Fix.
That's optional and only installed if people specifically ask for it.
It seems to be needed in addition to the Intel fix, for anyone who needs the Intel fix at the moment. The idea seems to be to get everyone to use Voodoo, and before we go that way, I want to be sure that it won't adversely affect anyone who does not need it.

OK, that settles it. I just downloaded Voodoo, tried to unzip it, and got a warning from the antivirus software. That plus the screenshot from @DavyJack means I'm not letting this run on my system and I advise everyone else to ignore it as well. Anyone who really wants to chance it can look up "dgVoodoo" on Google, DuckDuckGo or their other choice of search, and find it themselves. The reason I'm not including a direct link here is that I don't want PA! classed as a malware site, as it has been before because it contained a link to somewhere dodgy.

According to this it is a false positive. :shrug

dgVoodoo 2 False Positive

But I am not sure, I believe we should search around and see what other people have experienced with it, or just mention it somewhere that is easy to find and let the user have the responsibility.

Last edited:
Back