• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Wishlist for Future Updates

What new weapons / functions would you like to see?

• Total voters

smallsword8

Landlubber
:gday

The New Horizons mod has come a long way. Since PotC :razz came out, it's never been as good as New Horizons in it's birth stage :bow . It's now Build 14 Patch 5 and we be hoping for more, ya' filthy bilgerat devs !!!! Ok, now New Horizons has been great. However, no mod is perfect, sadly. There be a problem as stated in my other post

Link: Antigua Fort

There be other bugs out there. Nevertheless, New Horizons be our daily cup-o-rum and our Gunpowder! Undeniably one of the best mods ever. :cheers

A Question for you devs

Attached be a link to what I believe to be a major stepping stone. Build 14, as New Horizons is A.K.A. will live on in our hearts forever, and belay them blasted scum who be daring enough to criticise this mod. We shall keelhaul them and hang them from our Mainmast! :dance

Formally, Build 14 has many, and I mean MANY, little but BIG improvements around the forums that has been posted after Patch 5 came out so their not included, YET!

Dev Team, Hoist the Colours and Bring Your Guns to Bear on your target of releasing the next update! Make us happy, or WALK THE PLANK! :whipa

BEAT TO QUARTERS! Back to your stations and Bring out yer' courage men! AT THE READY!

Happy Sailin'

Midshipman (hopeful Future Commodore) Antonio 'Toni' Ryan

Some of your ideas are quite interesting! Not sure how they'd work, but I'm sure most of them would be possible.

Unfortunately, our rate of productivity is limited, due to our lack of code-savvy modders.
We really need more hands on deck, WITH lots of free time, if we want to release things quicker.

Also, Pieter is the one 'in charge' of releasing the patches, containing all our new ideas and work, which he can only do when he's not at sea.

Thanks Armada, I knew somebody would share interest with the ideas I proposed.

Yes, I know Pieter is at Sea currently and it is sad that he can't do anything. Maybe when he comes back, we should ask him to appoint some people to take over him when he's at Sea. You, Craiggo, pgargon and Jack Harrison make great second-in-charges.
That way, when he's at sea, productivity never stops. Also, maybe launching an appeal on the wiki and moddb, maybe some other websites related to this, for code, model and texture-savvy people to help complete patches and possibly release a FINAL :dance

I'm just throwing ideas around for future generations. When the right stuff comes that allows for these to happen, I think New Horizons will be bigger than MOH 2010, or maybe, if we're lucky, Black Ops.

I just hope Pieter comes back early so he could hopefully get to work appointing second-in-charges to keep things going.

Happy Sailing, Pieter!

Toni

While he could appoint a 'First Mate', it would be difficult for someone to take charge of patch releases.
Pieter seems to compile everything progressively, and makes a patch from the latest work when it's ready. He would have to pass on exactly how to do that to a 'First Mate'.
Sure enough, it's a big job. But what's more, he has a fair amount of coding knowledge, which is very important for many reasons, and is quite a bit more difficult to pass on to others.

However, I like the idea of launching an appeal on ModDB for more modders, especially capable ones!
Who knows, we might actually get a fair number of people turn up to join our modding effort... :dance

Yet, I seriously doubt we could ever surpass Black Ops in popularity! That game has millions of fans, and the Call of Duty franchise as a whole has even more.
The unfortunate truth, I believe, is that the number of pirate RPG fans is slowly decreasing, so large-scale popularity for New Horizons seems a bit far-fetched. :(

Agreed. It is a bit far-fetched. Forgive me, I was feeling a little ambitious at that time and I tend to go overboard in speech everytime :facepalm Anyways, I hope more modders would join us to help make New Horizons the mod it was meant, and WILL be!

I tried to vote, but got knocked out every time. I'm on another computer at a different location and am constantly being knocked off this site.

Anyhoo. More swords! :)) But Norrington's sword as seen in the movie is nothing like my smallsword. Mine has a triangular cross section and no cutting edge at all. I'm not sure what his sword is, but I would like to get it if it is period correct. It looks like a small light cutlass. Not a saber.

Your other choices mostly seem to be added animations. Methinks those things are beyond the capabilities of anyone working on PotC at this time. :?

Forgive me, I was feeling a little ambitious at that time and I tend to go overboard in speech everytime :facepalm
Don't worry mate, being ambitious is a good thing! :cheers
The trouble is making ideas real, and that's when we need more people and more experience.

I tried to vote, but got knocked out every time. I'm on another computer at a different location and am constantly being knocked off this site.
I managed to vote somehow, but I've also been signed off multiple times lately, and it's starting to bug me. :modding
I'm beginning to wonder whether Keith has messed up his server work somewhere...

Your other choices mostly seem to be added animations. Methinks those things are beyond the capabilities of anyone working on PotC at this time. :?
I think TOOL has the option to make new animations for characters, but as you said, not many people really know how to use it.

If I'm not wrong, after looking through the FTP, I found that Razor actually made Swords from the movie and uploaded them. It got deleted and he uploaded a text file asking for it to be re-uploaded.

While reading through an old thread on modeling it was said that fledgling modelers should start out on things like swords. I wonder what tools are needed to make one?

I've been watching the movies and Norrington's sword has a handle that is VERY similar to mine. The blade is straight also and has a similar balance point. The difference is in the cross section of the blade. Mine is fully triangular for strength in thrusting while his is wedge shaped with an edge. Methinks they are different versions of the same thing. Anyhoo, I'd like to see it in game.

When Captain Maggee was here, he made the occassional Patch as well.
Anyone can do it; you just need to install all latest released stuff and then use WinMerge to find the changed files since the last released version and stick it in an installer file of some sort.

What ever happened to Captain Maggee? Did his work at uni get in the way? :?

Sure, anyone can do it, but it takes someone who is good at keeping track of all the new content which people make...
Personally, I'm stuck in the ships department most of the time, and I tend not to follow the news on storyline content quite as much, for example.
So it takes a broad outlook on things to manage content for a whole patch. Oh, and a lot of time.

Last thing I knew, he was caught up in university busy-ness and I haven't heard from him since...

I managed to make patches even when I was pressed for time, but not while I'm at sea.
In any case, how frequently do you need your patches?
Since I'm at sea for 4 months in a row (if not 5), I can't make them any more frequent.

True, it is a question of frequency. But also, I have a feeling that there's an underlying motive for issuing patches more regularly.
Essentially, it would make it seem as though we were making more progress, at least to the ModDB community, who barely ever sees what we're up to.
That's not to say we need to have more frequent ones, necessarily.

That's why I'd like to see people posting articles and screenshots and so on there; that'd show we're doing things even when we don't release patches.

Hence the reason why we need more active members on there to do so! :whipa
I post the occasional screenshot of upcoming ships, but that's about it. I don't have time for fully-fledged articles, meself.
We do have some great writers here, so perhaps a couple of people could turn their attention to ModDB every once in a while... :shrug

I hope they would. I've tried to convince people in the past, but without much results. :facepalm

I guess enthusiasm AND free time are a rare combination these days...

Well, at least I've just noticed that miklkiit has posted some nice screenies on there lately. :doff

I have enthusiasm and free time. But I'm not code savy nor do I know how to model a ship. :shrug

But I'm willing to learn if someone will help me learn the ropes. :dance

I'm always at your service. Bad thing is, I'm a newbie to the modding scene.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm an artist AND writer. I also write my own music. So perhaps I could be of help. I just got rejected for the job I interviewed for, and dumped by my girlfriend, so for now I have PLENTY of free time. lol :onya

Back