1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Need Help You want to help but can't code?

Discussion in 'POTC: New Horizons Mod' started by Levis, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Levis

Levis Find(Rum) = false; Staff Member Programmer Creative Support Storm Modder

ICT
    Don't worry!
    There is a lot you can still do to help us!
    This topic will have a list of tasks which still need to be done and which don't require any coding knowledge.

Helping maintian the wiki
    We got a pirates new horizons Wiki. In here the different storylines and quests are describes. As are the different ships and items etc.
    This can use a reall good update so if you want to help doing this let us know and we will make sure you can edit it. The wiki can be found here:
    New Horizons | PiratesAhoy!

Writing helpfiles
    There are tricks and tips ingame. Some of these are also outdated so we need someone to take a look at this and write some more for it. We can show you how to do this. Its very easy you just need to place the text files at the right spot.

Game testers
    If we release new stuff or fix bugs we need people to test this and report new bugs or things we overlooked. All problems are welcome.

Book writers
    We now have readable books ingame so if you want to write a book for the game go ahead. We can show you how to add these books to the game.

Screenshots
    We can always use screenshots of ships and new features. If you wanna help by doing this ask what we need and we can say it.

Testing
    we need help with some testing of some bugs. It's not hard to do so if you have some time please look at these:

(DOWNLOAD the file and check if you can go to your own ship if you have companion ships):
    Needs Testing - Player Ship not Displayed in Fast Travel Menu | PiratesAhoy!

(DOWNLOAD the file and check if anything weird happens with captains on enemy ships if you try to board them or if they surrender also try to hire them):
    Needs Testing - Character Skill Importances Missing | PiratesAhoy!

(TRY to move officers to companion ships and back and see if they get removed from the ship properly etc, if anything weird happens post it here):
    Included in Build - Companion Officer Duplication | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!

(TRY to go trough the apothecary quest (mystrious plants) and if anything weird happens post it here):
    High Priority - Apothecary Quest Bugs ( contains Spoilers ) | Page 5 | PiratesAhoy!

(TRY to fight captains on ships, if they have muskets see if they actually fire it and report your findings here):
    Included in Build - Ships' captains don't use muskets | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior The Jester Quest Writer Hearts of Oak Donator

Soytarı
    Hey! I can write a short story, or stories... But I'm gonna need some time for it. I have a work-in progress personally that I call my masterpiece but I don't think that world fits in to this game. So, it takes time to come up with original stories and I'm not much of a fan of history. But books about history seems nice. Maybe I could write a book about "Hızır" (it means the one that arrives at the time of need (A wizard arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf Ahaha!)) Hayreddin Barbarossa.

And I meant to say this before but I can write side-quests and new storylines for you too. As long as you give me a personal mail address to send them to and keep me away from that coding work.

agentad and Levis like this.
  3. Levis

ICT
    If you have a short Story just let me know and I can add it for you, if you want you can also design a cover for the book, take a look at how the other books look, we can provide you with those Images so you can Change that if you want.

4. WeekendWarrior

Soytarı
    Well, I lack any visual skill that there is. That talent has given to my brother in the family, and maybe I can convince him to design one for me. But, as I said it's a long time consuming job if you want something original. So, we'll see about that.

By the way i don't know what you guys think about shanties or that kinda' stuff but i wrote this one minutes ago. I can write tons of this stuff but don't have the tools to record them professionally, someone might look into it. I'm gonna try to work on a shanty about new horizons when I return home tonight, have some lyrics on my mind.

Attached Files:

5. Levis

ICT
    I don't mind including one or two books containing a collection of Songs :p

6. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Meanwhile, I'm interested in the other stuff - the wiki, the help files, the reporting of bugs. The bug-hunt presumably requires no special privileges, just that I finally bring "Tales of a Sea Hawk" to a close and install a more recent version of Beta 3, but I do need some pointers and whatever permissions are required for the others. ;)

7. WeekendWarrior

Soytarı
    Well, i write the lyrics for my band's songs so it's not a problem for me, i kinda' have a thing for it. Anyway, i'll post more if i can later. And i have some ideas for stories too. I'll share them along with the early work-in progress with you guys, if i could get some time to write.

8. Levis

ICT
    The help files you dont Need permissions, reporting bugs etc you dont Need it either, just post a Topic in the bug tracker.
    Only for the wiki you Need permissions. And I guess @Armada can make a Group for that so we can add you to that and open up the pages which you Need.

@WeekendWarrior take all the time you Need, we are working on this for 10+ years already. We are not in a hurry
    Btw It would be really cool if you base your Storys on things in the game. For example have Storys about davy jones his history, or about the ameteist. Or about one of the storylines. We can include checks for the time Periode or storyline without any Problems.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  9. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    Those in the Storm Modder group can edit the New Horizons Wiki already, so I've added Grey Roger to that group for now.
    If we eventually end up with a larger group of Wiki contributors, then I'll set up a dedicated group.

Pieter Boelen and Levis like this.
  10. Levis

ICT
    Well @Grey Roger you now have the permission. If it says locked in the right upper Corner you can still click it.

11. WeekendWarrior

Soytarı
    My thoughts exactly... well, not exactly... but it's a great idea to have a book version of that over-sized octopus and satan worshipping buggers. I'm gonna start researching and try to combine and storilize (i don't know if it's a real word) it with what we know about davy jones in the movies.

*sigh* Am I talking to much? I guess I should do more writing and less blabbering... Well, actually what i'm doing right now is also writing, but you got the point.

Levis likes this.
  12. Levis

ICT
    btw @Grey Roger please let us know if you changed a page so we can check it to see if it's correct :).

13. WeekendWarrior

Soytarı
    Here is a glimpse of what is to come... If you're ok with this kinda' stuff, then i'll keep writing. Otherwise know that even if i love to write it's still much more fun to just play the game... just kiddin' :wp

Attached Files:

14. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    @WeekendWarrior, could you please update your signature? Seems the forum has chewed up the formatting after several upgrades, and that stuff isn't so nice to read. :p

15. WeekendWarrior

Soytarı
    Ahaha! Do you think I really enjoy hanging around with it? Dude, I've been trying to erase it for a several days now after I saw that my signature is screwed up after a year (or more, i don't remember having a signature before). I couldn't find where to or how to erase it and I was afraid of being mocked by asking. But now that you mentioned it, how the heck can i erase my signature?

16. Armada

Game Developer
    Ah, of course, I forgot to mention that we've restricted signature access for members not belonging to any user groups (i.e. groups you see below users' names). It's an anti-troll thing. :facepalm
    Sorry about that, I'll erase your signature for you.

17. WeekendWarrior

Soytarı
    Thank God! I was wondering why i haven't choose something other than palatino linotype. I hate those tonguey smiley thingies! Thanks Matey, and what do you think about the soon-to-become book of mine?

18. Armada

Game Developer
    I haven't read anything yet, but I like the idea of the in-game books. :onya

19. Levis

ICT
    @WeekendWarrior I like where it's going altough I would sugest if possible try to use a bit more old english/pirate dialect in it to make it fit the time periode better. On the other hand most of the books in that time would have been written by upper class people so actually maybe its better to use tidy english indeed ...
    Please continue on it if you like to do it cause I think it would be very nice to add a bit of lore to this game :).

20. Levis

ICT