• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 17th century Dutch Frigate project

OK so I took the texture back out and it's still the same Arabella skin. So I think the new GM you provided has that mapped to it. Your dark texture is invisible. That new bowsprit looks fantastic though! MK
start_121004_1212219.JPG
start_121004_1213193.JPG
start_121004_1213370.JPG

Here's the screens.

What dark texture are you talking about? I have installed this La Licorne in GOF2 and looked at all of the GOF2 textures for it and the Arabella as well as the POTC texture in your screenies, and they all work. Are you talking about the French POTC texture with the red stripe? Gimme a few minutes and I will get a screenie.

EDIT: This is the darkest POTC texture, for the French heavy trader.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/Oxa1m8nUCf/POTC screenies/FR_WarGalleon.jpg

Nope its not that one. It is almost all black - with a very ornate stern. It's actually in one of the promotional screens for NH on MODDB. I'm not at home(and wont be for a week or so), so don't have access to screens to get you a shot right now. There is a picture of it sinking head up in the middle of my GOF compilation test video.

MK

The ship sinking at about 6:20 of your video appears to be La Licorne1, hull2. It could be La Licorne1, hull3 also.

All the forestays definitely need redoing. Amazing how much better the new sails make it look, though.

It should be similar to the rigging on theChristianus Sextus. I'm no sure if there are any stays at all up there, and without stays, the mast won't stay up. Ideally, we'd have modeled stays, but I guess the locators will have to do.

Edit: Upon close inspection I did see some stays. Is there any way at all to make them appear thicker?

Here are two closeups that show the stays better. When I did them last winter I left the stay locators alone on the bowsprit and attached them to the foremast so that they would not foul the sails. I had nothing to work off of as a guide, so just guessed at it.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/LzcnIuBeqQ/POTC screenies/La Licorne-8.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/R213mYIYit/POTC screenies/La Licorne-9.jpg

Recently Thagarr found a drawing of the Whydah, which is remarkably similar to La licorne. I might try adjusting some locators to look more like that.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/Rmys6-x-2I/POTC screenies/TheWhy4.jpg

About the rope thickness, it is adjusted in rigging.ini. For POTC we increased it to 0.03. In COAS it is 0.06 and is too thick for the smallest ships. In this POTC install I have increased it to 0.05, which might not be too thick for the small ships, but makes it easier to see them on the larger ships. Also the extreme angle of them makes them disappear for some reason.

After seeing the stays in more detail, the thing that bothered me the most was the lack of a fore t'gallantmast stay. Broadly speaking, every mast segment with a sail on it should have at least a forward-run stay and back stays. There are some exceptions, but those are fewer in number than the vessels that abide by that rule.

I don't think it would be worth it to increase the thickness of lines using that method. After all, we still have running rigging to deal with. Would it look too funny to put a few parallel lines close enough together so that they look like one stay?

It seems that last winter when I was doing the Heavy East Indiaman the La Licorne was not a priority and it got the same masts as the others, but she has 3 sails per mast instead of 2 like the others. The stays work fine with the others. Anyway, I redid the stays last night.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/pbgj5b6xOF/POTC screenies/La Licorne-10.jpg

Putting multiple ropes together might work. Experimentation is the answer. :whipa

Those stays are actually the perfect thickness. That's going to help a lot in the future.

Interesting! That certainly looks convincing from a distance. Good idea using a '+' cross-section. :onya

I need to know this if I'm to use this 4 rope system to simulate stays. The thicker ropes can be spaced farther apart, giving an overall fatter look. It also makes the braces and such easier to see. I am happy with 0.05. It makes the ropes on the smallest ships look thick, but it is not nearly as bad as COAS. Who sails the dinghys and cutters anyway?

It makes the ropes on the smallest ships look thick, but it is not nearly as bad as COAS. Who sails the dinghys and cutters anyway?
Thinking about it, what's to say the rope thickness was proportional to the size of a vessel anyway? It's bound to look thicker on a smaller ship.

Thinking about it, what's to say the rope thickness was proportional to the size of a vessel anyway? It's bound to look thicker on a smaller ship.
I can imagine they WOULD use thicker ropes on larger ships to keep the masts upright. Right?
But for falls and the like, perhaps it would be a "one size fits all" situation. Experts, what do you say???

Back