• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released 20 gun privateer schooner

Yeah, it would be better to fix the sails in Maya if you can. I gave everything a quick look and there is a memory about a ship I worked on last month that might be your problem here. If you choose a rope that is associated with the sail it will CTD.

Hylie: Thanks! so does that mean you changd my files to work, or the instructions for spanker behavior? either way here is my ships_init.c file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43901618/CArmstrong/misc/Ships_init.c
Also, if you are looking to get the prince ingame you will need to use this file for the hull, there were a few unused locators left over in craiggo's one that armada had to remove to get it to work ingame http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43901618/CArmstrong/Models/Prince de Neufchatel/PDN1.gm
Armada: Yes, I was referring to those instructions, I didn't realize the extra spaces made a difference in the hex editor, but at least know I know, and that whole thing is sorted out with the texture Hylie uploaded:onya your instructions were easy to follow, I just didn't know there was an easier method:facepalm
so should I re export the spankers for the Revolutionnaire and Volage with 'Opposite' checked?

EDIT: Hylie, just saw your post in the thread about fixing spankers, thanks! I'll get on it:)

I'll double check and see if I selected a rope from a sail, but I can't work on it in maya because I'll lose the locators

ok, so it turns out that the ropes on rey_a33 (the sail above the spanker on the mainmast) only attach to sails. :facepalm I'm still a bit puzzled though, because my game would crash even when I had only modified the one on the foremast. I luckily used ropes attacjed to reys for both gaff sails, so methinks I'll use the old, backwards file for rey_a33 and enable error logging to pinpoint the problems not related to that piece

I have not done anything but look at the GMs. It is better for me to test the changes in game, so I will not do anything until the base ship is working in POTC.
Just from looking at them in TOOL it appears that rey_d2, rey_b3, and rey_a33 are using a rope that belongs to the sail group. That is a CTD. Rey_a33 does not appear to have a rope in its group, so one will have to be made. It doesn't have to go anywhere, but that is what you need to do to, then change one end to "geometry" as per Armada's instructions.

Ah, you found rey_a33. :onya

wait I must be looking at it wrong, because it appeared to me that the ropes I chose for rey_d2 and rey_b3 were not attached to a sail group. don't know how to make locators, but I assume there is a button for it somewhere in the TOOL, so I'll give it a shot

You know your models much better than I, so you could be right. There is no button in TOOL. Everything has to be done the old fashioned way, by typing it in. This is still a huge improvement over how it was done before, as TOOL automatically updates the left side of the GM as seen in a hex editor. I used to do that manually.

well I am having trouble finding a rope that works for the foremast, would it be a problem If I just made new ropes for all of them?
so I tried this for the foremast only (with the others using the old files that face the wrong direction but work ingame) and it still instacrashes...:(
here is what was in my system.log
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
Initializing DirectX 8
Techniques: 9 shaders compiled.
Techniques: 180 techniques compiled.
Techniques: compiled by 90384939 ticks.
BeginScene
The method call is invalid For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value
resource\models\ships\PDN1\PDN1_PDN1_fspanker.gm: can't open geometry file
WARNING! Can`t model class pointer for ShipModel
WARNING!!! Missing INIT message to ROPE - bad ship model
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\RIGGING\Vant.cpp line 162
"Bad Vant INIT"
the problem appears to be with the copy of the foremast sail (fspanker) but I don't know what... I tried assigning the new rope to both rey_d2 (the yard) and rey_a1, which all the other non-sail ropes were assigned to in the original fie.

The problem is with the fspanker.GM. I looked and it seems to be ok. Has it been renamed in the past? Maybe it needs to be remade from scratch.

it was renamed as the copy of rey_d2, as per the instructions. I already remade it and this is what happened:confused: or did you mean model wise? because it works fine as rey_d2 (the yard that faces the wrong direction)

Ok, I wasn't all here last night and missed something. "resource\models\ships\PDN1\PDN1_PDN1_fspanker.gm: can't open geometry file"

Rey_d2 is looking for PDN1_PDN1_fspanker when it should be looking for PDN1_fspanker. The copy I have is correctly named and should work ok when I finally get it fully installed and in the game.

ohhhhhh!:eek: wow I can't beleive I didn't notice that either, I just had to remove the PDN1 part from the locator name in the original yard file and it worked! It must add that bit on autimatically. Now I'll try for the others :keith

yep, thanks! she's ready for the next build:onya
what would I have to change in ships_init.c to allow the prince to lie closer to the wind/ have better performance when lying closer to the wind?
I might also experiment with flag sizes

refShip.ClosestPoint defines how close to the wind she can lie and refShip.BestPoint defines what relative wind direction gives her best speed.
Flag sizes are defined in the model through locators. Did you add the double "flag" and "penn" locators already?

double locators?:confused: I changed the size of the flag to be bigger with the locators through tool, but even though there are pennant locators on the mast, I can't get it to show up through modifying the flag entries in ships_init.c for this ship

Ack! I posted earlier about this, but it didn't make it. :facepalm The version that I have has "flag2" locators on mast3. That is it. There are no "penn" locators. Rey_b3 has "flag3" locators with no "penn" locators. They need both "flag" and "penn" locators to work properly.

There is no rhyme or reason to the flag locator layout in Ships_init.c. Try to find a ship with a similar layout and copy and paste that, and see how it works. Then experiment. Eventually you will hit the right combination. :cheers

so I managed to get the pennant to work once I did what you suggested:) the only problem is, that it shows up with the ensign format rather than pennant regardless of if I assign it penn or flag locators (and assign it as FLAG_PENNANT) in ships_init.c:facepalm
newflags.jpg

Back