• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 32 gun frigate USS Essex, 1799

THe Essex would be closest for the RN and US versions of the stock frigate, it mounts 46 guns compared to the stock frigate's 44 (I think?) I suppose the Lydia would be replaced by the american version of the Revolutionnaire, though depending on how many guns it mounts it could be removed sooner with the introduction of the new US paint scheme of the essex.

Lydia mounts 36 guns, so would ideally be replaced by the Revolutionnaire.

well the Revolutionnaire mounts 54, so idk if its that close of a match. the Hebe at 52 or the Essex at 46 would be closer. but hopefully I get them ingame soon and it wont matter.

well the Revolutionnaire mounts 54, so idk if its that close of a match. the Hebe at 52 or the Essex at 46 would be closer. but hopefully I get them ingame soon and it wont matter.
Oh, OK. I thought I saw the number 38 somewhere, but I assume the ship can mount more than that.
It doesn't matter anyway; as long as we eventually have a good variety to replace the roles of the old models, all is well. :D

The number of guns a ship is rated for doesn't have much to do with the overall armament. For example, the '28 gun frigate' in CoAS should have 36 guns instead of 28.

agreed, warships, frigates especially, rarely carried the number of guns they were rated at. funny enough they often still had a standard amount of guns for each rate, it was just more than the number rated. anyways back to the paintscheme, does anyone have any objections to it being included as the american version?

anyways back to the paintscheme, does anyone have any objections to it being included as the american version?

No. We need more like that. The way we have the game right now, you would think that all sailing ships were painted with a Nelson Checker. (And that there were standard national paint schemes :cheeky )

Seconded, I have no objection to that paint scheme. The game's stereotypical 'US paint scheme' has been done so many times, anyway.

What does everyone think of these new paint schemes?
Spain
SP_Essex1.jpg
France
FR_Essex1.jpg
Netherlands and Portugal
NL_Essex1.jpg

Before someone protests the french scheme, it is historically accurate. the french frigate flore inspired it directly, but there are plenty of other examples in accurate period artwrok and other models that I can post as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_frigate_Flore_(1806)

I do not protest. The standard schemes take away from historical accuracy. More variety is better.

Is that Dutch one "wood with black" and the French one "yellow with black"? I can't quite make it out.

I suppose there is little point in me even mentioning the "standard colour schemes help with recognizing nationality regardless of historical accuracy" thing?
And I still like the "gold with green" for the Dutch, even though I know that never really applied to the later navy ships.

Nope. No point at all. You know where I stand there, so I won't restate my reasoning.

Before someone protests the french scheme, it is historically accurate.
Does that mean the other two are not accurate? :p

They all look fine to me. I don't think we should worry about them not fitting in with the national schemes in PotC, because a lot of ships still don't use any kind of uniform system (stock ships, I'm looking at you!).

Idealistically, I agree with Post captain, but I don't see the point in drastically changing the system now that Hearts of Oak is being made. Spain and France have the same national color scheme in this era, so I thought I would vary the french scheme (Partly to actually have it be nationally identifiable :rolleyes: ). The black/yellow main scheme with a white/black bow and stern hasnt been used on any other ships from this era to my knowledge, so it should it least be recognizable once the player has seen the ships. I wouldve at least gone for a green interior for the dutch scheme, but that version is used for portugal as well. If it isnt clear the dutch version is black/brown with gold trim, and the french version is black/yellow with white trim.

EDIT: Armada; yep, completely innaccurate :razz They're pretty accurate, they just fit in with the national color schemes already, so i didn't feel the need to justify them. Glad to hear you guys like them!

how does one add a descriprion for the repaints in the shipyard? and what size do the interface screenshots need to be?

RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES in the following files:
shipsBL.tga.tx
shipsBR.tga.tx
shipsTL.tga.tx
shipsTR.tga.tx

Armada has a "Master PSD" file for these though.

Back