• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 32 gun frigate USS Essex, 1799

what exactly do you have in mind? i was thinking of the same schemes as shown in the volage thread (or my brig thread) with red/black for spain/france, and wood/black for portugal&holland. anything else would require new textures or a change in the UVs

Don't bother if you have to redo everything... I can imagine that you probably have more important things to attend to, but I was thinking something like the Surprise's Syren disguise in M&C for the white scheme, with a thin white stripe along the gun ports. To my knowledge, that hasn't been done yet for PotC or CoAS. And then there was that stroke of genius with the red Constitution scheme...

Is wood/green possible for Holland? The normal Dutch paint scheme is a wooden hull, with green stern and golden decorations.

Is wood/green possible for Holland? The normal Dutch paint scheme is a wooden hull, with green stern and golden decorations.
Ah, but was that paint scheme still relevant by the Napoleonic Era? I think most ships would have adopted the black/yellow or black/white scheme by then.

i was thinking of a wood/black scheme for holland and portugal. I would like to do that scheme for the US version, but it would require a new texture. maybe we can go with a plain one for this release, and then when I go home for thanksgiving, I'll see what I can do with it? I certainly agree that it would look beetter, currently the white stripe is a bit wider than looks natural anyways, plus the scheme you describe is an accurate american war of 1812 scheme

True enough, but I don't think it works on Napoleonic ships. Imagine a classic Dutch scheme on the Victory, for instance. o_O

Did the Dutch ever have a Victory-like ship? :shock

I'd like to see that colour scheme applied to her; just to see what it looks like. :rofl

Victory was bare wood/paint at some point. She was fairly ancient when the Napoleonic era started.

I know, though it was quite different to the Dutch paint scheme Pieter was talking about. In fact I think she was possibly more attractive in her early days.
Anyway, the main point is that said Dutch scheme would not have been applied to any vessels in the Napoleonic Era, and so a bare/ochre/white wood texture would work fine instead.

If there is no actual Dutch paint scheme that would apply that also matches the other ships, I'd say just forget about a Dutch paint scheme altogether.
A generic scheme would work, but the way I figure it, otherwise it is just going to make the modpack larger without adding any game-play value.

well essentially what I am doing is making a generic scheme for Holland and Portugal, because there isn't much documentation of Napoleonic colour schemes for them, and it is perfectly possible they would have the bare wood/black scheme. I might also make it encounterable for France to a lesser extent, because it was common in the early 1790s before the red/black scheme. once the rossiya is included and the stock frigate removed, there isn't another period-accurate frigate for those navies, so we might as well include a generic version as well.

I realize that you will probably be back at sea by the time I can work on this, so perhaps we should include the Essex with standard paintschemes like the Volage for this release, and then the new one can be included later?

For now, I've just got her as US_Essex with the yellow-and-black scheme. Basically exactly as you posted here.
That'll do for now as far as I'm concerned.

So I fired up POTC now that I'm home, and I discovered that I never fixed the ropes. working on it and will hopefully have updated files posted soon. also is there a way to increase the number of crew displayed on deck?

It seems nobody knows about the number of those crewmembers. We were discussing that very question a few days ago.

Would you be able to have those ropes fixed before the end of the weekend? That's pretty much the deadline for being included into the upcoming update.

Back