• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Advanced Interface and Flags Code (and much more)

Sure, I like what I see of choices and flags! :onya
But how about storylines that have to start with certain conditions? I mean period, location, ships etc etc.
Disable some button functions?

At the moment, flag selection is only available in Select Storyline but not during the game.
We'll have to see if we have to keep handling that through dialog (would be a BIG dialog with so many choices) or if we can sort out an interface for that too.

But how about storylines that have to start with certain conditions? I mean period, location, ships etc etc.
Disable some button functions?
Pirate_KK already put some code in place to lock the starting nation. I'm sure we can extend that to other features.
I had been thinking of doing that already for the current Select Storyline interface, but I'll skip over that until we have the new one to prevent double work.

Well, I'm working on this again. Here's to hoping we can finally get this DONE.

Well, I managed to get up to the point that I can start the game again and the main quests even start up properly.
That isn't to say things are hunkey-dorey though. MUCH doesn't make any sense yet at all. All sorts of interface mismatches.
And WHAT is wrong with the initModels function, I really don't know. Anyway... it IS progress, I suppose. :confused:

As long as the game isn't crashing, that's some good news at least. :onya

Isn't that how it works? First you break it and then you put it back together again, but more better.

As long as the game isn't crashing, that's some good news at least. :onya
Yup, took a lot of effort just to get that far. Next up: Making sure ALL files are merged, especially the interfaces.
I reckon I'll just keep the Beta 2.5 versions for simplicity's sake. The ONLY Pirate_KK interface files I'll use for now are:
- Select Storyline
and
- Nation Relations

The Character and Officers ones are also interesting, but I'm not convinced that is entirely finished and working. We can try that on a second stage, perhaps.

There's some interesting stuff included:
- Item weight code (but unfinished and disabled)
- Completely different officer system (not sure if that is working right, so I'm excluding it)
- Mutiny on COMPANION ships (including this to see how it works)
- Even an historically correct change-over from Julian calendar to Gregorian

Most important for now though is Select Storyline, Different Flags and modified Periods/Nations code.

Well, I've got the basics vaguely working, but there's still a LOT to figure out. Such as:
- HOW do I get the difficulty level read from the storyline files
- WHY are my personal relations friendly to EVERYONE (even the pirates)
- HOW to make the pop-up screens NOT blue in Select Storyline
- WHAT is wrong with the init models code
- HOW to prevent fake ships from showing up in the Select Ship interface WITHOUT generating error messages
- WHAT is wrong with the display of island names in various interfaces

And much, much more. Could I possibly convince anyone else to have a look at this as well?
I'll try to upload all relevant files as Build 14 Beta 3 WIP 13 later today.
And yes, I'm deliberately skipping a WIP number just so I can use "13" for this. ;)

Ideally another coder would be useful, yes. But ANY help would be welcome.
I'll be posting the stuff later today so people can find out what works and what doesn't.

Jeeez, there's all sorts of crap wrong. Now I notice that the worldmap just likes crashing altogether. But no proper error message at all.
We've still got a loooong ways to go. :facepalm

Apparently you now start out with ZERO skill points for everything. The game calculates with 1 though, but that means you're basically one step behind on all skills compared to before.
Does that seem like a good idea? It does make the skill progression slower and hopefully draws out the game a bit longer.

==========================================================================

There is a delay between you giving the order to hoist/lower sails and this actually happening.
I know I once tried and failed to add this myself, so I'm quite happy to see Pirate_KK made this work!

I wonder what this does for gameplay though. Perhaps it should be limited to Realistic Game Mode only?
It also causes an overkill of order-shouting when you do as I used to and just press up twice to set Full Sail.
And you HAVE to wait until you're at half sail before the game even listens to your Full Sail command.

Also, since I'm only including a little bit of Pirate_KK's interface work, I did some quick changes for the brown version so that will actually work:
SelectStorylineBrown.jpg SelectShipMixed.jpg
I haven't yet been able to find where to change that blue background for the pop-up screen though.

And here for Nations Relations:
NationRelationsBrown.jpg
Just to be sure, do people consider this version BETTER than the one we've been using up to now?

Also, I am NOT including this new Store Interface, but out of interest, here is what it looks like:
StoreInterface.jpg
For me, I'm just massively confused on the amount of numbers there, but I'd be interested to hear how other people like it.

This is the full list of stuff I included at this time:
Code:
Build 14 Beta 3 WIP 13:
- Pirate_KK Code Base Merged by Pieter Boelen
- Code Updates:
  . Different Flags code completely rewritten
    Select your own flag in the Select Storyline interface [WIP: Changing flag DURING the game through your crew not yet updated]
  . Log Toggle allows to switch between various levels of notifications to reduce on-screen clutter
    Arcade Game Mode shows logs on ALL characters and ships in the scene, but Realistic Game Mode only shows it for the ones NEAR you
  . Delay of 3 seconds (plus/minus morale changes) before your sail commands are executed
  . Mutiny on companion ships
- Rewritten Code:
  . Periods System
  . Models System
  . Profiles System
  . Sound and Music System
  . Worldmap Encounter Code simplified
  . Island and Town Generating System
  . Promotion Titles
  . Sidestep
  . Keyboard Typing Code
- Interface Updates:
  . Select Storyline completely redone with additional customization options
  . Nation Relations redone to provide a quicker overview
  . Capture Colonies code modified
Not sure how everything works, but I do know not everything works properly. I've already run into all sorts, worst being the worldmap not working.
Not sure why that is though; the worldmap code itself does NOT seem to be the culprit. Which is.... weird, to say the least.
Requires further investigation.

Anyway, I'm still uploading my current version. I'd be very interested to hear how people like the new stuff.
And to find out what isn't working properly anymore that DOES work properly in Beta 3 WIP 12.

looks really good! the store-interface is confusing, i think the current one is better. the nation relations.. well you have everything on 1 page but have to make a closer look.. but i think the new one is better ;)
The new code about the sound and music system.. does this affect my additional music-pack?
I look forward to test all this new stuff :)

EDIT: For the command-delay, I think it would be good for the arcade mode if we use multipliers such as the cannon-reload time and turning speed ;)

BTW: Should I send you the first new dialogs I made? You could include them for testing purpose

The new code about the sound and music system.. does this affect my additional music-pack?
All music code needs rewriting, yes. I already did it for the Beta 3 WIP 11 files.

EDIT: For the command-delay, I think it would be good for the arcade mode if we use multipliers such as the cannon-reload time and turning speed ;)
I'm not sure what you mean there. o_O

BTW: Should I send you the first new dialogs I made? You could include them for testing purpose
Doesn't matter either way. I can merge them in somewhere in-between, but I won't be testing them.
Far too much to do with these files. :facepalm

okay.. is it difficult to adjust the code for the music? And I will just finish my dialogs, maybe I finish them in time ;)

I meant for the set-sail delays something like that:
#define ARCADE_MULT_CANNONS
#define ARCADE_MULT_SPEED

Oh, more testing stuff! :bounce *backups WIP 11*

Apparently you now start out with ZERO skill points for everything. The game calculates with 1 though, but that means you're basically one step behind on all skills compared to before.
Does that seem like a good idea? It does make the skill progression slower and hopefully draws out the game a bit longer.
No problem here, at least for me. Everyone (as far as I know) starts with no special abilities in a new career, so... I like this.

I wonder what this does for gameplay though. Perhaps it should be limited to Realistic Game Mode only?
It also causes an overkill of order-shouting when you do as I used to and just press up twice to set Full Sail.
And you HAVE to wait until you're at half sail before the game even listens to your Full Sail command.
Hmm, Arcade Mode isn't that realistic anyway and I think most Arcade players might be extremely annoyed by this, so Realism Mode sounds fine; and I want that! *egoism mode*

Also, since I'm only including a little bit of Pirate_KK's interface work, I did some quick changes for the brown version so that will actually work:
View attachment 11448 View attachment 11447
I haven't yet been able to find where to change that blue background for the pop-up screen though.

And here for Nations Relations:
View attachment 11446
Just to be sure, do people consider this version BETTER than the one we've been using up to now?
The Storyline Interface and that Ship Selection Menu look pretty good, but the third one... looks a bit like the Relations Menu from CoAS/GoF. Maybe it's just me, but I find it a bit difficult to come along with this, especially with the left side. Could be that confusing "pile" of icons, but I think I have to see this in "action" first to decide.
For now I like the old one better.

Also, I am NOT including this new Store Interface, but out of interest, here is what it looks like:
View attachment 11449
For me, I'm just massively confused on the amount of numbers there, but I'd be interested to hear how other people like it.
Again, looks a bit like CoAS /GoF , the Store Interface there is similar to this. Not sure; as you said, it contains mostly numbers and I think, I would be "blinded" by them after a while. Don't like.

I meant for the set-sail delays something like that:
#define ARCADE_MULT_CANNONS
#define ARCADE_MULT_SPEED
You mean a separate #define on it? There already is. I was just thinking it might be better having it incorporated in the Arcade/Realistic Mode toggle.

Oh, more testing stuff! :bounce *backups WIP 11*
That's what I just released WIP 12 for. ;)
For sure it'll be a good idea to put this on a COPY of your regular install.

The Storyline Interface and that Ship Selection Menu look pretty good, but the third one... looks a bit like the Relations Menu from CoAS/GoF. Maybe it's just me, but I find it a bit difficult to come along with this, especially with the left side. Could be that confusing "pile" of icons, but I think I have to see this in "action" first to decide.
For now I like the old one better.
[...]
Again, looks a bit like CoAS /GoF , the Store Interface there is similar to this. Not sure; as you said, it contains mostly numbers and I think, I would be "blinded" by them after a while. Don't like.
Same here, I've got to admit. The old interfaces maybe need some more clicking, but they do seem fairly straightforward to understand.
The new ones are a bit of a wall of information. I found myself tracing lines on Nation Relations to understand what it means.
If other people feel the same, maybe I can restore Nation Relations to its Beta 2.5 state too. Might make things simpler. Or not. o_O

POTC is going to look more and more like COAS. My old eyes prefer the POTC stuff, but if everyone likes the COAS style menus I will get me a bigger magnifying glass.

Back