• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Any updates on the Poseidon?

Noriruru

Freebooter
Hey guys I just have some questions regarding the upcomming Poseidon as I am eagerly awaiting her launch. :bow

Mainly when will she be ready and where I can get my hands on it.

If any one has has any info on this ship I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

She's in my capable (and quite busy) hands right now. I apologise that I haven't been able to work on her very much lately.
My workload at college has been quite hectic recently, and 'spare time' has mostly been 'homework time', unfortunately. :facepalm
What delays me further is that I'm going on a short holiday to Hamburg this weekend, expected to return on Wednesday.
However, I will try my very hardest to do as much as possible for a release just before Christmas.
But bear in mind that I plan to release a whole bunch of ships all at once as part of a 'Christmas Ship Pack', which will *hopefully* include all of pgargon's latest fixed ships not yet in the game, plus Jack Harrison's HMS Surprise, plus Poseidon.
If I can't have all those ships fully ported before Christmas, I'll release what I've done and then release anything left over just after Boxing Day, I expect.

I appreciate the community's patience and understanding during the run-up to release. I'm doing as much as I can not to disappoint you all! ;)

I have to fix two masts, but i don't have time, on christmas time i hope a lot to do that ;)

I understand there was some last minute walk file and locator work needed on the poseidon last time I heard how's that going?

So far, no walk file (anyone able to help here?).
Locator work is quite slow, I have very limited free time right now. :(

Experienced Caption, If you want I will do the Sailorpoints/walk files for her. Just let me know where the files are.

That'd be great if you could! :yes
I've uploaded the files to the 'Poesidon' folder, under 'Back-up, WIP and unreleased' in my FTP folder.

I have finished Her walk_files/sailorpoints. I have uploaded the files to your 'Poesidon' folder, under 'Back-up, WIP and unreleased' in your FTP folder.
me.gif

And what's left to do to finish her? I am sure all mates here are really eager to sail her, like myself :dance

I have finished Her walk_files/sailorpoints.
Thanks very much! Nice job on the Surprise walk file too, by the way. :doff

And what's left to do to finish her? I am sure all mates here are really eager to sail her, like myself :dance
Right, time to outline exactly what's left to do to Poseidon:
  • Cannon locators
  • Accurate rigging, including staysails etc.
  • Accurate walk patch
  • Fix mast1 (TOOL doesn't recognise it)
  • Incorporate walk file
Now, here's how I plan to do it:
  • Copy-and-paste a similar ship's cannon locators and adjust accordingly (that's the quick way ;) )
  • Use my (limited) knowledge to produce something decent for the rigging (but images from PotBS would really help here! :wp )
  • (I need someone else who knows how to do the walk patch)
  • (Awaiting Jack Harrison's work on this mast)
  • Done; testing the walk file soon :woot
Does that answer your question?
I'll do a similar thing for the Surprise in its own thread.

EDIT: one more thing, I need to verify the stats. Can a PotBS player help here?

EDIT: one more thing, I need to verify the stats. Can a PotBS player help here?

By stats do you mean things like Armor, Guns, handling. ect?

Well here is the official PotBS stats.

Sailing Level (Size) 50 (Huge)
Max Speed: 17.40 Durability 3
Acceleration: 0.47 Insurance 88,063 Doubloons
Deceleration: 1.35 Health Integ. DR
Turning (fast): 6.50 Hull: 3200 -
Turning (slow): 2.35 Port: 1880 12
Turning Accel: 4.25 Stbd: 1880 12
Turning Decel: 8.35 Bow: 940 7
Best Point: 180 Stern: 470 5
Sails: 3400 -

Ship
Capacity: 270 Modifiers Off / Def Res
O.S. Visibility: 83.3 Sails: 0 / 20 0.0
O.S. Spotting: 0.0 Crew: 0 / 18 0.0
Crew: 575 Bow: 0 / 18 0.0
Target Tracking: 12 Stern: 0 / 18 0.0
Sides: 0 / 18 0.0
Grapple: 0.0 / 0.0 0.0

Batteries Type Reload Damage Range Acc200 / 400
Swivels: 6x1/2lb 8.0 6.0 100y -- / --
Topdeck: 10x9lb 25.7 29.0 500y 106 / 81
Upperdeck: 26x12lb 33.3 32.0 560y 109 / 87
Gundeck: 24x18lb 42.9 38.0 615y 111 / 91
Bowchasers: 2x9lb 25.7 29.0 525y 107 / 84
Sternchasers: 4x18lb 42.9 38.0 625y 112 / 92

Hopefully This helps.

As for rigging screenshots I happen to have a Poseidon on my freetrader in PotBS. I could brave a breif pop in to the game to get some screenies for you if that will help.

Ok just finished doing the screenies and have uploaded them into my FTP commander folder. :yes

Hope they help ya. :)

Guys, this is all brilliant stuff, thanks very much! :woot :bow
It will certainly make things easier for me when it comes to precise details to really do the ship justice!
Just an idea: if the real ship she's based on is Le Fleuron, perhaps we could even have a repainted version to look like her, as well as the standard model.
Sound good? :shrug

Allright I think I need to clarify a few things since you guys are really into getting all the real details : )

1. The stern on the ship is correctly, copied mostly from the french Le Fleuron of 1729. However the hull is the danish Oldenborg of 1740 (designed by a danish arcitecht using french principles), while the rigging for the most part is based on the original sail plan BUT the dimensions (thickness of the masts and hight and that sort of thing) is based on ENGLISH measurements.
Besides, there are sails missing from the PotBS version, but you guys could use the original sail plan which is HERE : http://www.orlogsbasen.dk/tegn/a1193b.jpg
The hull was scaled down slightly for PotBS so all the deckfittings an similar are not scaled to their actual real dimensions, however its very little and noone would notice if you used the original data for Oldenborg. The original constructionplan is HERE: http://www.orlogsbasen.dk/tegn/a1193a.jpg

As for armament and crew, that can be looked up also online at "Den sorte registrant" HERE: http://www.orlogsmuseet.dk/O/pages/Oldenborg%281740%29.htm

Key data:

Deplacement: 1996 t, I think this is tons but not sure.
Lenght: 158 foot and 10 inches. One danish foot in the period was 30,48 cm and lenght was measured from stempost to sternpost, however you would probably be better of using the numbers I gave for the lenght of the LWL to FLS (thats is the lenght along the waterline from the start of the cutwater to the end of the rudder) which along with other info can be found HERE (post #37): http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906&page=4

Actually, i can see the numbers for lenght ISNT there. I´ll have to check my notes. The armament and crew numbers in that post are correct though.

Back