• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Any updates on the Poseidon?

Jabberdau, thanks for your additional info, especially the sail plan! :bow
I don't need all that detail, however; mostly handling stats, so that she isn't just copying another ship's template stats.
With all this accurate info, I'm sure this ship has no excuse not to be excellent when released! ;)

Erm... no, not yet. :modding
However, I'm currently rearranging the way I use my time at home, so hopefully that should mean good news for all my projects.
But that will take about a week for me to catch up with everything, so I promise I will work on her as soon as I can...
... if Jack doesn't upload the Surprise first... :cheeky

As stated before, I'll post any updates as and when I do anything new.
So when I know something new, you will too. :cheers

Erm... no, not yet. :modding
for five months
facepalm.gif

Oh. :|
Doesn't seem like five months, but I get the point.
OK, I'll try to speed things up a bit. Somehow. :?

Don't worry matey, we all have lives, and you're already doing an outstanding work here :onya

Hiya Mates,

Craiggo and Luke159 brought the Poseidon into our COAS GOF mod for testing, and she is simply GORGEOUS!!! :onya

However none of he cannon function because of no cannon points in the model.

Is it possible that one of you high speed modelers/someone could do a tutorial on how to do this or is there another ships points that are close that could be used?

Thanks

MK

MK, I've imported another ship's locators into Poseidon, and am working on moving them into the correct positions.
As soon as I've finished them, I'll upload them. After that, someone else can handle the rigging if they wish.
If not, I'll carry on and try to finish that as soon as I can.

So how do you plan to release her? Do you plan to release her as a single download or as part of a ship pack? :hmm

So how do you plan to release her? Do you plan to release her as a single download or as part of a ship pack? :hmm
I think it'd be best to release her as part of the next ship pack I'm compiling.
Speaking of which, I'll be posting details of that pack very soon. ;)

As for progress on the locators, I've had a stinking cold the past few days and not been able to do much at all.
However, I'm mostly recovered now, and plan to work on this tomorrow or the following day. :dance

Ah a ship pack. Awsome! Looking forward to the details.

As for your cold I'm sorry to hear that. :shock: Get well soon mate! :yes

My cold's as good as gone now; no worries. :cheers
In fact, I've been able to finish those gun locators!
Poseidon now has a full battery of 66 cannons, all tested and working.
See the updated 'Poseidon.gm' and 'Poseidon_part1.gm' here.

Also, I've changed the deck texture to make it more like deck.tga (PotC version).
See 'Poseideck.tga.tx' in the 'Textures' folder of the above link. (note: replaces 'Poseidon2.tga.tx')

My next question to everyone: any volunteers to do the rigging? :shrug
I would quite happily do it myself if no-one wants to, but it may take time on top of all my other priorities.
Plus, there are some good images showing the layout of the sails in some previous posts, so all you'd need is the knowledge of how to do it.
At some point, I'm planning to write a FULL tutorial on how to convert ships to PotC from scratch and from CoAS.
Not sure when I'll do that though; it depends on the demand.

Anyway, there are still some things to be done to Poseidon besides the rigging:
1) Mast1 needs fixing so that TOOL can read it.
2) An accurate walk path needs making.

I can't do either of those, so really a modeller needs to step in and sort them out if possible.
So basically, once those and the rigging are done, the ship is release-worthy! :woot

EDIT: I almost forgot- here's a screenshot to remind you how beautiful this ship is!
[attachment=6016:poseidon_WIP.jpg]

TOOL and GM Viewer. It can be done entirely through Maya, but I'm no modelling expert so let's not go there. :wacko:
I'd probably start by 'borrowing' some yards from other models, which match the sail plan.
Then you can start making the locators for the sails, stays and ropes through TOOL, using GM Viewer to see where they are (TOOL is all about the numbers).

Thanks, i'll try it.
type_1.gif

Do you put in the coordinates from the model that is most similar to the one you are working on, view them in GM viewer and then tweak them until you get them correct.?
unsure.gif

Update:

This takes along time to do and I think the Stay Sail is backwards.
mybad.gif

Is there a way to find the coordinates so I can just plug them into the tool?

Do you put in the coordinates from the model that is most similar to the one you are working on, view them in GM viewer and then tweak them until you get them correct.?
unsure.gif
That's one way of doing it, but you can also make them from scratch once you know what goes where.
It does involve a LOT of trial-and-error, I'll admit, but usually one or two teaks will sets things right.
One more point; make sure the stays' locators are attached to masts, in case you haven't already.
Oh, and thanks very much for giving this a go! :doff

Is there a way to find the coordinates so I can just plug them into the tool?
It really is just about best guesses, I'm afraid. I know it's time consuming, but this is the only way I know of besides using Maya. :facepalm
However, you can always write the locators to a text document through TOOL (Locators->Write to file).
Then, you can edit them in Notepad, making it much easier to copy large blocks of numbers in one go.
The pattern you see the numbers appear in is similar to the TOOL's layout, but some numbers have shifted to the left hand side.
All you need to change are the X, Y and Z numbers, which you should be able to find. I'll probably provide more detail in a tutorial at some point.
Once you're ready to test them, save the file and go to 'Locators->Read from file' in TOOL, and then 'Save GM'.

I hope that makes things a little easier; it certainly speeds things up for me sometimes. ;)

And while I'm at it, that's a nice texture! :onya

Back