• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Any updates on the Poseidon?

If you would like to make it like the diagram, be my guest but for now. I am off to another project.
sailr.gif

I know nothing of how to mod this game, just wanted to provide some feedback on how the sails would be. The triangular sails right now are not all correct so it looks a bit odd. But Its up to you people :onya

"Correct" is somewhat subjective here. According to the old diagram Craiggo posted, the flying jib mounts below the foretop. So the way you have it in your diagram above the foretop is not correct.

I would comment also that the staysails as Craiggo has them are very correct for a closing engagement or depending on what points of sail the ship was on in a fair wind. Just because the diagram shows the sails does not mean the Captain would hang all canvas all the time.

If the ship were on a beam reach to a broad reach with a middling wind, the Captain MIGHT set all stay sails. My own opinion is that all stay sails set was a rare occasion indeed requiring the necessary conditions be present.

I think the rig as it appears now is more typical of what she would sail with most often in nominal conditions.

Take a look at the NMM site and count the number of times you see staysails set in contemporary paintings.
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/search/listResults.cfm?sortby=title&century=18th&category=oilpaintings&startrow=51

MK

Using Craiggo's rigging, plus a few minor tweaks, here's how the Poseidon is now looking in PotC:

[attachment=6055:poseidon_WIP2.jpg]

Still awaiting a proper walk patch, but it seems Craiggo found a way around the mast1 locator problem, so that should be fine. :doff

Absolutely beautiful! Walk patch? As in "needs to be exported from Maya" walk patch? Or a crew walk file?

Patch, path, GM file, or whatever else you want to call it. Either way, it's the Maya 5 export job.
She already has a crew walk file thanks to Craiggo. :bow

"Correct" is somewhat subjective here. According to the old diagram Craiggo posted, the flying jib mounts below the foretop. So the way you have it in your diagram above the foretop is not correct.

I would comment also that the staysails as Craiggo has them are very correct for a closing engagement or depending on what points of sail the ship was on in a fair wind. Just because the diagram shows the sails does not mean the Captain would hang all canvas all the time.

If the ship were on a beam reach to a broad reach with a middling wind, the Captain MIGHT set all stay sails. My own opinion is that all stay sails set was a rare occasion indeed requiring the necessary conditions be present.

I think the rig as it appears now is more typical of what she would sail with most often in nominal conditions.

Take a look at the NMM site and count the number of times you see staysails set in contemporary paintings.
http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/search/listResults.cfm?sortby=title&century=18th&category=oilpaintings&startrow=51

MK

Actually I don´t really know that much about sails. To take an example: On the old diagram there is a rope attached right below the main topmasts trestletres, going to about middle of the fore topmast. On this rope is a triangular sail.
Could they be moved around at will? Is the diagram merely a suggestion for how to rig?

EDIT: In the latest picture, the staysails that are set, now follow my diagram. I dont hope what I showed was actually wrong modernknight1? Sails are out of my area of knowledge for the most part. I was most concerned about where the ropes where attached.
I do realize now though that it was because not all sails where set that it looked "wrong" to me, when as you pointed out it actually wasnt. You learn something new everyday ^_^

is it possible for a coas compatible file?
If you look closely, all of Craiggo's pictures are from CoAS, and all of mine are from PotC, so it will be available for both games. :yes

EDIT: In the latest picture, the staysails that are set, now follow my diagram.
If you're referring to my latest picture, I didn't actually change Craiggo's stays at all- I just did some locator compatibility work. :shrug

any updates, guys? every1 desire to look at released version of this magestic ship!!

i hope it is possible to fix missing textures (gunports' gray background, some passages to low gundeck, etc)?

/cheer

Eh? Missing textures? Oh well, that's easy to fix, so I'll make sure all the right textures are available for the release version.
Not much progress made lately, but it is nearly finished. ;)

Great news: Craiggo has improved the rigging again, and I've also made a Royal Navy texture for the ship.
You can see the two combined here:

[attachment=6130:RN_Poseidon.jpg]

As far as release is concerned, we're nearly good to go!
I'm in the process of making a French texture, and then sorting out interface screenshots, and that's my part done.

However, she's not going anywhere until we get a more accurate walk path! :whipa

Can any of you expert modellers out there lend a hand?
It's a relatively small job, but since one can walk right through a wall into the blank space where a cabin would be, it's crucial we sort it out.
The sooner that's done, the sooner you lot can officially get your hands on the ship! :keith

music to my ears, not just mine in fact, im sure

Unfortunately im unable to provide any support with walk path since i dont have required skills for that

new rigging is just above any awesomeness :woot

btw could u make some more broadside pictures of the ship to make all the sails visible?

btw could u make some more broadside pictures of the ship to make all the sails visible?
Like this, perhaps:

[attachment=6132:RN_Poseidon2.jpg]

While I think of it, going back to the 'missing texture' you mentioned, I think I know what you mean.
The dark grey areas are textured; it's a kind of filler to stand in for a lack of details behind it.
I think it was done because modelling the whole ship would sent the poly count sky-high, and increase lag in-game, so some areas have been missed out and covered up with this blank texture.
It's nothing big, I mean the whole idea is that your eyes are distracted by the insanely complex beauty of the rest of the ship... :cheeky

Have you tried PM-ing Pgargon to help with this?
The ship would need to be exported through Maya with the correct settings, but would require no locator work because you already did it.
So hopefully it indeed should be a pretty quick job...

Is it possible to colour that "filler" with black texture? to make it look like shadows?
Yes, I can do that if you prefer. :yes

Have you tried PM-ing Pgargon to help with this?
I was holding back from doing that, as I thought he'd be pretty busy with his own projects right now.
However, if no-one else volunteers soon, I might have to.

Back