• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Availability of Perks for Companions / Captains

If I make one of my officers a captain, I will give him his own ship. Of course 2 captains on one ship is one captain too much.

No, Heroic I only get for a short time after I boarded a ship or destroyed a fort. But I am not looking for heroic sailors, superiour and excellent is good enough for me. ;)
At least THAT sounds like it works as intended.

Yes, that works just fine.

For the perks a captain should have, I think it should be the following:
- all the fighting perks, everybody has them anyways
- all the navigator perks, any captain has to be a good navigator
- basic and advanced ship defence (professional could be left to the officers he has)
- he should have some boarding abilities, even though it makes no difference in the game
- landing party
- high stakes (everybody should have that ability, not that it makes any sense for the game, but still)
- shared exerience
- iron will
- fire ship

The ones in red I fell are most important,

All the gunner skills should be left for a gunner.

But that is just my opinion, everybody should post their own.

In my opinion your companion ship Captains should have all of the ship perks like speed and maneuverability, ship defense, and most importantly repair abilities.

Shared experience is a good thing as it seems to me that the Captains do not advance very fast.

I think the easiest solution would be for @Levis to code in an automatic officer type swap when a character swaps between Captain and regular officer.
Or when checking for active skill contributions, add an exception for characters in command of a ship.

That sounds good. It does not matter, if you can see the perks, as long as they count. Thanks in advance Levis.

I believe they do count already. all officers on a ship should contribute, it just isn't shown atm.

This file should include all of the other fixes till now and it fixes the issues here:

- Increase in performance on sea etc (due to a check which took way to much resources).
- Perks assigned to your passengers contribute to you.
- Perks assigned to the officers on another ship contribute to theire captain.
- Perks assigned to a captain contribute to the respective passengers
- For captains the interface shows all perks but they are shown as locked.
- Locked perks are inherited from the main character and theire respective captain.
- Captains of other ships dont contribute to the main character.

Please test if this is to your liking :).

@Pieter Boelen if you add all the things you still have to this file we can upload it again in the first post of the main topic maybe?

new version:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/companion-skills.24626/#post-501105

Last edited:
So perk contribution is now ship-specific? Makes sense! :onya

How about ships with only a captain and no officers on it? Does the captain get to make full use of his/her abilities then?

@Pieter Boelen if you add all the things you still have to this file we can upload it again in the first post of the main topic maybe?
Probably can do. I've got some files already together, but didn't do anything with them yet.

I will add a "captain" role later. for now all perks for a captain are shown locked. I think it's kind of normal. What I want to do is add a captain role to a officer only if the officer is above a certain level, it makes sense right? till then you would be best off to assign a first mate.
I was also thinking about adding some more progression in officers. Need to work out the details, but the longer they are in your service the more perks they will get. You will have a apprentice boatswain and expert boatswain etc. and when you first hire them they will probally be a apprentice (unless you are high enough already) this way you can get more perks for them. This would then also unlock the "captain" role.
But still need to look into that a bit more.

For now I first made it ship depended which made sense to me indeed.

@Pieter Boelen I could add this file to the first post already also if you want. I added all things in the list of fixes and the things in the bug tracker which was marked as fixed, also added the new shore by @Pillat already.

More officer types might confuse things though. I generally like "simple".... :wp

Is the difference between an apprentice boatswain and an expert one not already part of their skills?
A level 1 officer is apprentice, a level 20 on is expert.

hmmm...true, then I will just look for a way to add the captain role without it being to easy to get. and ofcourse still if you assign the captain role to a normal officer he wont contribute.

What about the idea of skipping the captain role and just having any character in command of a ship contribute ALL his/her skills and abilities?
That should be fair enough, since the player does too.

Sounds like you did a lot of work. I will get right to testing.

Just one question, do I have to copy all the files one by one or can I extract the file into the game folder and everything will find its place?

Knowing how Levis usually zips his files, you should be able to just extract it to your main game folder.

Yup just extract it to your potc folder.

Ok, I did some testing and found these results:

As before these new files, I had to make the captain first mate in order to have the effect of iron will before assigning him to the ship.
Now it does not matter any more, his own iron will will work regardless of his before assignment.

I would guess that now also all his perks are counting towards the ship, this would mean that you do not need any other officers on comapion ships. This I do think is not perfect. It would be more realistic that a companion ship needs officers to get full function. A captain would usually have basic to advanced knowledge for most aspects concerning his ship, but not professional knowledge. For example, a captain being an expert navigator is quite realistic, so is being an expert first mate, because these are jobs a captain would have done during his career. Being an expert gunner, expert carpenter or expert surgoen is unlikely, because those are completely different skill-sets. I think that these three officers should be a must for each ship in order to get the full function for this ship.

If a ship does not have a gunner, it should fire more slowly and less accurate. If a ship does not have a carpenter, the quick-repair should be locked, but the normal "slow" repair should work. If there is no surgeon on a ship, basic and advanced ship defence should be available, but professional should be locked.

As Levis stated before, all the perks (except of his last assignment before captain) will show in grey colour as locked perks, but they have the check-mark and seam to count for the ship. For sure iron will does, because this is easiest to test for me.

For me this would work, because I will always have one officer that has all perks before I assign him / her as captain, but that is because of my way of playing the game. Most people play differently and it might be a bit complicated for them. If you assign an officer as captain who does not yet have all the perks of a captain (or all you want), you will have to remove him as captain, assign the correct officer type for the perk, give him the perk and make him captain again and re-assign him his other officers. This is a bit of a pain.

I think the best would be to have a special officer type "Captain" that has the relevant skills available to him in the character menu where you can assign them whenever he has points to be assigned.

@Pieter Boelen I do not think that a captain should contribut all his skills, as mentioned above. And I am not sure, but I thought this was not the case for the main character either. Isn't it, that if you have no gunner on your own ship, that your reload time is longer even if you have the skills and perks? If just the main character and the captain can reach 100% for each ship, why do you need officers at all, other than as Master-at-Arms when you go on land to fight?

It would actually make sense to me, if also the player can not get all perks and would for example need a gunner to get the pre-reload perk and maximum reload speed. Same for the other things mentioned above.

Back