1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Engine Limitation Bad Saves

Discussion in 'Bug Archive' started by Talisman, Aug 23, 2015.

1. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey Master Mariner Storm Modder

If one is satisfied running build 14 as it stood several months ago, with perhaps still some remaining modification that I have missed (I am largely unfamiliar with NH details/gameplay), that is available. But, as noted in my post to pedrwyth Engine Limitation - Bad Saves if the most current is desired, the effort is not trivial. If it were more widely adopted, and the scripts were changed over and maintained going forward...well, that would be a different story...

2. ChezJfrey

LOL, even worse...my latest OS is Win7, though my kids have Win8...and none of that 'good' hardware like NVIDIA/super video cards with crazy GPU performance. So I have no idea at this point, though I suspect if it doesn't afflict stock COAS, since this is based on that same engine version, it may be fine. Someone else will have to give it a go!

3. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    The changes between the version from a few months back and the current one should not be that huge.
    It's mainly been some quest work, added ships and models.
    @Grey Roger would know the details.

Fair enough. Hopefully it works. Chances are that it does. :onya

4. pedrwyth

pedrwyth Privateer Storm Modder

Thanks for that I can check those from 4.0 to current 4.1 and then look at any that have changed to merge with yours.:type1
    Again at least I will know what to look out for and some of what to expect! :popcorn:
    So any moved files are placed elsewhere because of hard coded limitations. There has been a substantial amount of file location changes anyway in POTC NH through its various builds as far as I can see

Everything is relative and it probably is trivial in comparison with the work you have done across the storm engine games to get them to run off one platform and remove previously inbuilt problems in the compiled code as well as scripts.:bow

One question about the text used for dialogues etc - which seems to be that for COAS etc. Is that a limitation or a convenience in using one platform because my old eyes struggle with the smaller font in any of the later games. Just asking!

5. LarryHookins

LarryHookins Buccaneer Staff Member Storm Modder

Have you tried running the game in a lower resolution? This may not help with the dialog text but it's worth a try. I had to do this with TEHO before I had cataract surgery.

pedrwyth likes this.
  6. DeathDaisy

DeathDaisy Freebooter Storm Modder

I'm super impressed with your work @ChezJfrey , literally never even considered a engine switch could realistically be done! 1000 cudos! Very excited :bounce

7. ChezJfrey

Most of the file locations are specified in attributes of various script objects, so those are fine. I seem to recall there were a couple paths that were not read/settable in attributes and were hardcoded into the engine; those had to be moved. Again, I don't remember what those were offhand, but a comparison of the resource directories of stock NH vs. my changed would help identify. That FreeFileSynch could probably do that and if you are still unfamiliar with some of its features, I could probably run it myself to see what those moves might consist.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten the dialog change, which also reminds me of another change. Indeed, the dialog change was for convenience. The font scaling seems to have changed somewhat and the quickest fix was to simply borrow COAS; the POTC/NH fonts wound up rendering far too large in the new engine, skewing all display, so I swapped them out for a quick fix. The same goes for the dialog background, as the scheme for mapping the texture to the dialog background is totally different and the background was all messed up. Again, the quickest fix was to swap out the background texture used, to one of the newer versions. It would probably be possible to retain the original fonts, and perhaps experiment with some of the font scales to get the rendered result to work properly.

This brings me to the forgotten mention: The character 'mansign' and health bars. Again, convenience change to simply borrow COAS textures/settings because that methodology changed. It could probably be repositioned and the script reworked to bring it closer to what existed in POTC/NH, but the simple swap was the quickest for me.

8. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Out of interest, has anyone experienced any bad saves from recent versions of Beta 4.1? The last actual report of a bad save was in post #11 of this thread, which dates back to February 2016, and the thread had been dormant until someone woke it up.

I've vague memory that @LarryHookins posted a fix for saves some time ago. It must have been late 2016 or early 2017 because it went into one of the update archives, either post 28th July or post 7th January. And certainly, while I used to get the occasional bad save, I haven't had one for a long time, quite likely because of that fix. There are sometimes messages in "error.log" relating to saves and next time I get them, I'll post the log. But even after such messages have appeared, the savegame is valid.

Having said that, it might be worthwhile getting the newer engine to work with PoTC, provided that it does not increase the load on the system to the extent that some people can no longer play the game at all. Even the existing version of PoTC is now too demanding for some people, who have to resort to Beta 3.4.

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  9. ANSEL

ANSEL Corsair Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Artist,Painter
    Yes! I have had a few. Last night I have one at Cartagena , then I stop playing without further investigation and went to bed :ko
    INCOMPATIBLE SAVE: -=Player=- New Granada. Room in Cartagena tavern February 13th, 1785 is compatible with 0.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  10. Hylie Pistof

Hylie Pistof Curmudgeon Staff Member QA Tester Storm Modder

I remember getting one last spring in my old AMD FX system. Then maybe a month ago after reflashing the bios on my new AMD Ryzen motherboard I immediately got a bad save. Then just the other day I did something that accidentally broke loose a broken side quest and got a dad save-good save-bad save-good save sequence. Then it settled down and has been good since.

11. DeathDaisy

DeathDaisy Freebooter Storm Modder

Sad to report I'm still getting bad saves regularly :fiddle

12. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

13. Ron foster

Ron foster Landlubber

retired Coast Guard Commander, PhD scientist
    Thanks for the information... I kinda thought this was what was going on and have shortened the periods between saves to overcome this limitation. I still even with the most current update to BLD14 (31 August 2017) have had system blue screen crashes and was unable to restart the game due to an "app crash" error which required reloading the update before I could restart a new game since the old game was wiped. Appears the update is still unstable enough to trash Win7 OS.

I suppose everyone playing NH enjoys the "cursed coin" gimmick since nothing has been done to remove the call to this bizarre and obviously Disney subroutine. My only work-around is to shut down and reset to the last save... losing a lot of game and time and too often a nice prize. Is no one able to locate and remove this call from the random event item generator? Just a simple delete of the call for this item should stop this nonsense and make the game a bit more rational and a lot less aggravating.

I also find very irritating the constant interruptions by characters asking for orders or telling me they are off duty and don't bother them. I don't know whose navy the people that developed the logic scheme (tree, diagram, whatever) but this kind of event does not ever happen in the world in anybody's military. When you go off duty the last thing most people don't do in the tavern is try to pick a fight with some swarthy seaman by confronting them and telling them to not bother you... that is asking for a fight. Likewise, nobody onboard a ship walks up to the captain and tells him you are at his service (he knows already!) and to give you an order... he will drop you into the ocean for sharkbait or at the next port just to be rid of you. Having the captain spin around to reply is not conducive to play and a needless and childish interruption. Can this be stopped?

Merchant transactions now charge a cost that escalates with the number of items remaining in stock. This is contrary to real mercantile. The more you buy of an item the lower the unit cost... as it was before the update. A stated cost for an item is an offer to buy... a contract offer... the acceptance means the buyer is free to buy all he wants at the offer price... this is business law and practiced everywhere... except NH due to the update. Can this be returned to the previous scheme?

If anyone desires to use the update it is an overlay to the existing installation and not a new install... trial and error method of discovery.

If anyone is interested I could go on and on, ad infinitum, about obvious ignorance induced inconsistencies and errors in the logic of the program. It is a fun game to play if it weren't for the glaring errors in the scheme.

I would think there are others out there that would better enjoy this game if it were taken out of the bizarre Disney world and offered a more reasonable resemblance to a very romantic and challenging era of tall ships.

Maybe the folks working on the remastering would extend their efforts to making the islands more resemble the real thing? Make the harbors and ships more to a constant scale so that the distortions are not so obvious?

I applaud the efforts that have been put into this game by people with obvious expertise and enjoy turning trash into treasure.

Keep up the good work maties.

I am using Win7 and recently installed the update to Bld14 update (31 August 2017) it is an overlay and not a stand alone game update. However, it solves no major problems and creates an issue with merchant payments that really makes gaining enough wealth to upgrade ships and equipment very difficult and frustrating... does not comply with normal merchantile practices. I suggest staying with the earlier, but buggier, version... this change is frufru.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  14. Hylie Pistof

If your system is crashing all the way back to a blue screen of death (BSOD) then you have an unstable system. It is a hardware problem, not a software problem. The Storm engine is buggy and weak which causes crashes in poorly tuned systems. The Bioshock series is another one with a weak engine that causes a lot of crashes.

I'm an overclocker who builds systems and then pushes them to their limits. And then I stress test them to levels normally reserved for systems running science projects. They are more stable than most stock systems because they are tested to higher levels of stability. I only get one type of crash in POTC and methinks it is some background app starting up and crashing POTC. Probably Win10.

But even a stock system should be able to run POTC just fine as long as a basic preventive maintenance schedule is used.

Other than that it seems you don't like Disney. Meh. Who does? Do you know that in 2012 the CEO of Disney made $2 Billion dollars? And now he claims that his tax rate is too high when it's lower than yours or mine. But that money came from somewhere.

15. Pieter Boelen

Recommendation: Take the above message by @Ron foster with a grain of salt.
    Preferably a big one. :wp

16. Hylie Pistof

Would a bag be big enough?

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  17. pedrwyth

pedrwyth Privateer Storm Modder

Missed replying to this earlier!! Thanks for the suggestion @LarryHookins, I haven't tried that but will see (sorry) how that goes when I get back from travelling. It's actually not that bad on a laptop because I'm much closer to the screen - its more for the large screen.