• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Black Pearl and QAR Progress

4274799_8c10b82cbb_o.jpg

The model above is not entirely finished, I believe, which is why it is not available for download yet.

I thought so too. I have no idea why he's re-doing it. :wp
Because blah-blah-blah POTBS blah-blah-blah higher standards blah-blah-blah. :p

Besides, improvements like these will need to be done anyway if we move on to a new game engine. :wp

POTC and the Storm engine is only DX8. With all settings pegged DX8 still looks chunky. Here, look at this 2 1/2 year old screenie. Can you imagine what POTC would look like with details like this and 300fps?

Attachments

• HL2 girls.jpg
    HL2 girls.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 274
POTC and the Storm engine is only DX8. With all settings pegged DX8 still looks chunky. Here, look at this 2 1/2 year old screenie. Can you imagine what POTC would look like with details like this and 300fps?
You can't even see the difference between, say, 30 fps or 300 fps!
And more detailed models means more difficult to model means slower progress.

When you can easily notice a game lagging is under 25 fps.
Except if it is a racing game with high speeds, then you might need 30-35 fps.
And again, for a game to be totally unplayable, you'll need 15 fps and less.

Slower progress but less need to be constantly doing the same models over and over.

I spent many years racing old F1 cars on pc. The best simulation was originally locked at 36fps and we thought that was adequate until it was eventually changed to 60 fps. Huge difference! 60 fps is best because that is usually the refresh rate of the monitor, and getting the two rates off causes stuttering. Even 55 fps is noticeable. A solid 60 fps at all times is ideal. POTC seems to be locked at 60 fps.
I see single digit fps in POTC quite often and it is not a problem when the ships are only going 1-2 knots anyway.

Sorry to go OT.

hey folks, its been a while. ive been away to college, and haven't been online as much as i wanted. i see you've made more advancements in modding these games. well, i'll just cut to the chase then. i haven't had any time to play AOP or POTC since my PC got wiped... so I decided to buy a mac after that point. I've been getting the urge to sail these old ships again, but the thing is that I didn't make a backup file for the GM files for the ships. I'm only looking for the Revenge and The Pearl. and now i'm planning on installing bootcamp on to my mac to be able to sail these ships again. would you guys be able to upload a link for just the GM files so i can reprogram it into AOP? i can't find my POTC game... thanks guys. sorry for the bother...

There has been a missing rope on the BP,CBP, and WW for years. The rope is actually there but in 2 places. I could not repair it before because both ropes have one end on mast3 and mast3 has the "model could not be read" bug. Anyhoo, I finally found a way to repair that rope. It is only tested on the Wicked Wench but should work on the others as well as there are only texture differences between the ships AFAIK.

These are only the mast2 and mast3 GMs. Just copy them into the appropriate ship folder and let them overwrite the old GMs.

Attachments

• repaired Black Pearl, CBP, WW files.7z
    267.7 KB · Views: 212
That does looks surprisingly good on that hull.

Back