• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Brave Black Flag

I have noticed that you now start every story at level 5 , is there a way to change that back to starting at level 1 ?

Easy-peazy. Go to PROGRAM-->Characters-->characters_init

Search for the line:

ch.rank = 5; // PB: Players can use the cheatmode for this

And change it to 1. Also find:

ch.perks.freepoints = 5;

Just a few lines below and change that to 1 as well.

I was inclined to leave it as level 1 myself but Peter felt it was a little unbalancing for the character to have the extra skills at that level so I changed it. 10 skill points is 5 character levels going by the stock game system so... The first 5 levels you typically rocket-through in a few minutes anyway so it seemed like a small sacrifice plus this way you get some half-decent officers early on to work with.

I am also working on re-purposing the old "custom" character to use as an option if you want to start at level 1 while using the Professions mod but need to figure out a trigger that can distinguish between them so as not to start you with the extra perks. Once I have that worked-out it will be included.

Edit: allso noticed a texture mess up on a door of the auction frigate , forgive the odd look i dident crop my second monitor. rely like those frigates btw

View attachment 17818 View attachment 17816

Edit: alright alright i cropped one of em :p

Hmmm. Didn't notice that. The auction frigate models are old ones from a previous build that I repurposed because they looked--well--crapy, lol. It had a nice feel for an old, beat-up junker that you might but at an auction. I'm looking into a few tweaks for an update anyway and I'll address that. For now it's an old sign that is being used to plug the hole where a window broke, lol.

Last edited:
haha must just be me then gee whiz , i love just having as Manny ships as possible Xd is there a place to find those old ships ?

thats one of the things i dident get with gentleman of fortune.. why take out ships o_O

Well, the textures of a lot of the older ship models aren't as good as the newer work a lot of people did so they got pulled early-on in build 14 it seems. I agree that "the more the merrier" and it's not like they were bad or anything. There isn't an archive for the models or textures so you need to go get previous builds and pull the files out.

bugger , i have no idea where those older build mods are either i only have back to 3.0 archived

and if those frigates are anything to go by the more the merrier for sure

Send me an email address in a PM and I'll mail you a zip with the ones I pulled out myself. I think I have Build 12 and Build 13 ready. Those frigates were the "Whethered Frigate" models. I just renamed them.

I suspect before including this work in the next modpack update, I'll have to see if anything needs to be done to make it fit in better.
For example, maintaining the old character types if necessary for different storylines and setting the starting rank back to 1 for those.

Also not sure if we should re-include those ships in the actual modpack, for the reasons mentioned below.
Will have a look which ones you decided to put back; perhaps we can indeed reconsider on them. :doff

haha must just be me then gee whiz , i love just having as Manny ships as possible Xd is there a place to find those old ships ?
They're probably all in Build 14 Beta 1, which is still available here:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/piratesofthecaribbean/mod/17770.html

thats one of the things i dident get with gentleman of fortune.. why take out ships o_O
The download size was becoming absolutely insane. And the quality of ships was all over the place.
We figured it'd be better to keep the size in check and have only the best ones.
And as much as variety is a good thing, do we really need 10 different skins for the same frigate/corvette models?

Sweet i will take a look there.

yeah thats what i had figured a reason was for removing the ships could be.I agree you dont need 10 different skins for the one ship in the main mod pack buuuuuuuut thats not to say you couldn't have a optional download of them them or the resources for them the crazy's like myself love that stuff XD that said its a moot point because it requires work to put them back in and theres nobody to do it / wants to do it / can be arsed to deal with any issues that arise from what i can tell either way i am going to have a play around with them and my install and see what i can break :p

I like the idea of a suplamental mod that just adds an insane number of ships to the game that you can take or leave and can be downloaded seperately.

Adding new (read: old) ships to the game isn't actually that difficult.
What is really annoying about having a separate download though is that if the main modpack is updated, the additional download should be updated too.
That is why we have always aimed for putting everything together, because then at least it is kept up-to-date by itself.

Couple of options:

- Rework the code to accept a second ships_init.c that can either be there or not (would require quite some doing)

- Add the code for those ships in the main modpack download, but with a toggle around it that can be enabled only if the files are actually there
This might hold some proper potential as I think we can check whether the actual ships' files are there and only then enable that code, so we wouldn't need a manual toggle.
I've managed something similar before for the sea colour when using the Intel Fix:
Code:
bool IntelCard = FindFile("", "*.txt", "IntelCard.txt") != "");

Option two sounds like the best way to go. And certainly the least confusing for players who don't necessarily understand file modding at all. Modders love to tinker but the average player's eyes will glass over if you even suggest openning a folder much less altering code, even with explicit instructions.

Pieter i rely gota say i genuinely appreciate you shareing you knoldige and thoughts with us like that its rely awesome :onya

Option two sounds like the best way to go. And certainly the least confusing for players who don't necessarily understand file modding at all. Modders love to tinker but the average player's eyes will glass over if you even suggest openning a folder much less altering code, even with explicit instructions.
Exactly what I was thinking. ;)
Would you like to experiment with putting an if-statement around those ships based on their own model files?
This might do the trick:
Code:
if(FindFile("RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships\Barque1", "*.gm", "barque1.gm") != ""))
(Replace "Barque1" with the names of your added ships).

Pieter i rely gota say i genuinely appreciate you shareing you knoldige and thoughts with us like that its rely awesome :onya
Hey, that's what we're here for. :doff

I'll play around with that today n fact, I was looking for a new project, lol. BTW, I have a texture that Bartolomeu o Portugues wanted me to get to you for that screwed-up ground texture on Cartagena. I'll send it to you in a bit--need to figure out where I put is so that I'd have it the moment I needed it, lol.

I'll play around with that today n fact, I was looking for a new project, lol. BTW, I have a texture that Bartolomeu o Portugues wanted me to get to you for that screwed-up ground texture on Cartagena. I'll send it to you in a bit--need to figure out where I put is so that I'd have it the moment I needed it, lol.

Epic,

if you need a test monkey hit me up :popcorn:

About removing ships in GOF2, that was done because of major instability problems and new ships were being added back in only after stress testing to make sure they were not breaking the game.

If those old heavy frigates get added back in they will need major upgrading or they will look out of place next to the other ships. I was working on them in patch 6 but they were dropped in favor of the Kreyser class frigates, so I dumped them.

I'm touching them up and will have new textures for them in an update. I played for several levels with them and ran into no problems though. I chose them because they had a good beat-up and stripped-down look to them that fit well with the surplus ship idea I wanted.

for what its worth i rely like those frigates

:nb i should add they are very easy to sink

edit2: allso i just captured a merchant with it .. on board the ship was 1.2 millon worth of silver so at least she pays herself off.

Last edited:
I'm touching them up and will have new textures for them in an update. I played for several levels with them and ran into no problems though.
From what I gather, new ships causing crashes is generally an AoP 2 problem; we've never had much concerns with that in PotC.
Sometimes if it is done wrong, you will get problems. But those are generally easily caught and fixed.

Back