• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Alpha 10 Work In Progress

The problem is in WIP 8 but I will try it again.

Thanks

Never mind, It worked fine the second time I tried it.

Hey PPL I'm came back to play the newest version of the mod and just wanted to say it's mad stable. You all did a good job!

Welcome back, mate! I'm glad you find it stable; we'll be releasing the full Alpha 10 in a couple of days. ;)

ANNOUNCEMENT:
I have updated the opening post with the full current Build 14 Alpha 10 feature list.
Be sure to have a look at it to see what all is new and fixed! :woot

REQUEST:
Is there any chance somebody might write up a summary of their views of the current Build 14 Alpha 10 WIP version?
Some text on the various storylines would be great too. Also screenshots showcasing recent additions.
I want to be able to post something on the ModDB to announce the upcoming Build 14 Alpha 10.
But I can't do EVERYTHING myself, can I??? :shock

QUESTION:
Oh... and how is the "wounded crewmembers" mod holding up?
Are you inclined to get a doctor and medicine aboard yet to save your crew?

Dumb question that I should know that answer to but I don't. When I install a new patch, I get a folder called PROGRAM_new. Is that where the game is looking for the info or does it still look back to the original PROGRAM folder? Do I need to rename the PROGRAM_new to PROGRAM and get rid of the other?

Nevermind, I guess it goes away when you run the runme.bat.

I installed the WIP8 and when I go to sea, I can't see the sail, crew and ship damage levels on other ships above their icons. Is this intentional? I always thought it should be that way, but I don't recall that being a new feature.

It is official; Build 14 Alpha 10 is FRIGGIN' HUGE!
The compressed installer file is 1.34 GB!!! :shock

Dumb question that I should know that answer to but I don't. When I install a new patch, I get a folder called PROGRAM_new. Is that where the game is looking for the info or does it still look back to the original PROGRAM folder? Do I need to rename the PROGRAM_new to PROGRAM and get rid of the other?
Indeed the RunMe.bat takes care of that.
It's the easiest way of ensuring that the user has the exact same code files as I do and no more and no less.

I installed the WIP8 and when I go to sea, I can't see the sail, crew and ship damage levels on other ships above their icons. Is this intentional? I always thought it should be that way, but I don't recall that being a new feature.
It IS a new feature; but only in Realistic Sailing mode.
Screwface added it in Build 14 Alpha 9.5 Patch 4:
HTML:
- Realistic Gameplay Mods by Screwface:
. Fast Travel only enabled after you found the location manually yourself first
. 'Alarm' status only enabled after present enemies drew their blade; no prior warning
. Spyglasses only enlarge the view, but don't give additional information anymore
. These all fall under the "Realistic Sailing Mode" toggle in the Options interface

Oooh, I like it. Good job, Screwface! It was rather surprising to lumber into the middle of a battle that I thought was all friendly ships.

Oh.
.. and how is the "wounded crewmembers" mod holding up?

This is working well and yes having a surgeon will be helpful.

Is the new officers mod working so that you won't have to make the surgeon on your three?

This is working well and yes having a surgeon will be helpful.
A higher defence skill on the surgeon means less casualties too.
And medicine helps as well. The full mathematics is explained in the opening post.
The short of it is: you have the least casualties with the best doctor AND medicine aboard.
Medicine is being consumed for it though; I have NO idea if this is balanced though.
And it'll be really annoying when you're shipping a cargo of medicine and it'll be auto-used for healing any wounded. :facepalm

Is the new officers mod working so that you won't have to make the surgeon on your three?
Yes, it is. I adjusted it for that. :yes
Also, do you recall you need to have a Gunner to auto-supply you and your officers with ammo each time you go to sea?
That gunner now also doesn't need to be one of the three shore officers anymore. :cheeky

That gunner now also doesn't need to be one of the three shore officers anymore.

Oh that is good. I always convert someone to gunner so I will always have ammo.

REQUEST:
Is there any chance somebody might write up a summary of their views of the current Build 14 Alpha 10 WIP version?
Some text on the various storylines would be great too. Also screenshots showcasing recent additions.
I want to be able to post something on the ModDB to announce the upcoming Build 14 Alpha 10.
But I can't do EVERYTHING myself, can I??? :shock

^ Pretty please...? I'm not asking much here; REALLY! :whipa

Just a suggestion: Use it - loose it or abuse it (i.e. change it).
Hope it helps a bit:

From its original form, the out of the box the game of “Pirates of the Caribbean” as modified by the Pirates Ahoy group, has now progressed to levels that were thought impossible to achieve.
The latest Pirate Ahoy: POTC Build 14 Alpha 10 is a VERY stable game which is packed with so many new features and surprises that, even those who know the game intimately, are astounded.

The game starts with the player being able to select his or her own settings to suit their style of play, and goes on to then offer a menu of different games (storylines) from which they may choose to play.
It even provides an “empty” storyline where would be modders can try out their own ideas.

Regarding the NEW features, it is difficult to put them in any order of importance, or to list them all, but a few of them are mentioned here.

Save at Sea: The player may now save his or her game while sailing. This was thought impossible to achieve, but the PA Group have done it!
Cannon Replacement: Cannons may now be repaired or replaced individually.
Wounded Crew: As if a pirate didn’t have enough to worry about, now the crew can get injured and if not cared for, will die. This adds to the overall player management skills.
Medicine: Related to the wounded crew, this function will allow for medicines to be carried about to help the crew’s recovery.
Doctor: Again related to the above, the doctor’s presence aboard will also be beneficial to the crew’s recovery.

New weapons and field cannon have been added and ships retextured and improved.

The previous “bugs” have been eliminated to a point where the game is now accepted as stable.

The Main Storylines are:
New Horizons: Based and following the original PotC storyline, this has been expanded with many side quests, and with the NEW game features, will keep any player intrigued for hours, if not days.

Hoist the Colours: Takes Jack Sparrow from his pre-film days through to his finally lifting the curse of the Balck Pearl. Be warned however, there are many twists and turns in this game, so keep a weather eye open.

Bartolomeu o Portugues: Based on the famous Portuguese pirate, Batolomeu, feared by the Spanish, this is a pirate game with a difference.

Hornblower: This has been extended and is based loosely on the TV series, but he has now been joined by Richard Sharpe, (Sharpe’s Rifles), who introduces him to some land battles for a change of pace.

Assassin: A blood thirsty story that the player will need to keep an eye on, as well as his enemies, and friends.

LaCroix: A game for the French. This is a story about a French nobleman in search of ways to repay his gambling debts.

All the games have had some serious de-bugging and are therefore very playable now.

Thanks a lot, Short Jack Gold; that'll certainly help! Tomorrow I'll write up an article and submit it. :D

I think I would add the historic flags and the ship upgrade features to the write up.

Also a small (very small) point in the Hornblower quest where the historic flags work perfectly, when you look at a ship through the telescope the banner that identifies its nationality displays the pre revolutionary Fleur di Lis.

please add that the lacroix version isn't finished :p
Of course. Can you tell me if there's a clear end to the La Croix quest or if it just... ends at some point?

I think I would add the historic flags and the ship upgrade features to the write up.
Will do. :yes

Also a small (very small) point in the Hornblower quest where the historic flags work perfectly, when you look at a ship through the telescope the banner that identifies its nationality displays the pre revolutionary Fleur di Lis.
Absolutely true. I still have to convince someone to make a Napoleonic flag to use there.
Also we're still missing a US worldmap animated flag as well as a Napoleonic one! :whipa

REQUEST:
I would very much appreciate if everybody who reads this and has played a recent Build 14 Alpha edition,
would please give a short summary of their game experience.
I'm working on writing an article for the release of Build 14 Alpha 10 and I would like to be able to conclude
it with the opinions of the people have worked on testing. After all, us developers can SAY it is absolutely brilliant,
but it's much more convincing if we've got people who actually play the game to back us up.
It doesn't need to be long and it doesn't need to be all-positive. I'll settle for short, fair and critical. ;)

Back