• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

It's difficult to make the uniform dependent on the player uniform,
because there's a lot of character models and I'm not sure how to link them with uniformed versions.
We did use proper player-specific models for Jack Sparrow and Nathaniel Hawk, but that's all we've got.

If you don't agree with the cabin assignments, you can change them in ships_init.c. :doff

Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 3 Available!
This is a final patch from me before I head out back to sea. It contains mainly some fixes,
but also several new parts to the Assassin storyline and a more playable version of the Capsize mod.

Download (51.3 MB)

Installation:
1 - Install Build 14 Beta 1 Full, following the instructions in the installer and allow it to run RunMe.bat
2 - Install Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 3 to your main game folder
3 - Run Rename.bat in your main game folder
4 - OPTIONAL: Tweak the controls and the game's settings to your liking in the Options menu
5 - Start a new game, select a storyline and ENJOY! :woot
OR
5 - If you were running Patch 2 before, load your savegame and perform a Reinit by pressing (F11)

Includes:
HTML:
- Code updates: 
. Shipyard and store owners not talking to you if you've got a Letter of Marque bug fixed by Pieter Boelen 
. Capsize mod added on-screen display of roll angle in storms by Pirate_KK 
. Capsize mod added colour coding to roll angle warning messages by Pieter Boelen 
. French national ranks spell-checked by Daf.fr 
. Re-enable Quick-Equip button during boardings by Pieter Boelen 
. Turks gunsmith dialog fixed by Pieter Boelen 
. Itemsbox interface performance improved by Sulan (needs further testing) 
. Aruba texture-less dungeon fixed by Pieter Boelen 
. Bugged armored "Morgan" character models removed by Pieter Boelen 
. Missing flags on ships problem fixed by Screwface 
. Additional ship balancing and type renaming by Oberleutnant 
Additional modifications by Pieter Boelen and Experienced Captain 
- Quest updates: 
. Assassin storyline new parts added by Bartolomeu o Portugues 
. Standard storyline ending dialog reinstated by Pieter Boelen

LOL! Yes, Instructions for dummies is important.

Mucho whole buncha thanks to everyone involved in making PotC better. :bow

Cheers, mate! I hope it'll work better than the previous editions! :woot

Didn't you mean Patch 3?
I most certainly do. Fixed now.
I'm sure it's a mistake just caused by my pre-departure rush this morning. Yeah... that'll be it... :wp

3 - Run Rename.bat in your main game folder
I think, after the last patch's confusions, this should REALLY be emphasised!
DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP
I made it bold now. :cheeky

Patch 3 is available from the ModDB now as well. :doff

Recommended change before starting the Assassin storyline (will be included in the next patch, whenever that will be):
Open PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c and find the "Barque4_47". Change the capacity to 1250.

Ayup! It just keeps getting better and better. Ctd's are rare now instead of a dozen a day like a few months ago. Methinks a weak PSU had something to do with it, but there has been a lot of work done here. PotC just plain works better. In fact, the last ctd was caused by a conflict with the nvidia graphics drivers. I went round and round with nvidia about them already, but now macroshaft is aware of the problem, has a fix, but is unable to dl it to me. :modding So life is good. :rumgone

:gday

While playing patch 3 I was able to buy a frigate in the Priate ship yard. I had no Letter of Mark, but this seemed odd to me and has never happend in B!$.

Argh! I installed patch 3 over patch 2, ran the rename .bat, and reinit my old save games, but everytime I try to save I get a CTD. I don't have any problems saving when I start a new game. I was hoping my old saves would still work; I had two games going that I sunk large chunks of my life into :\

Is there anything I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Ouch! :cry I have 2 B14 installs, and when I installed patch 2 one of them did that. Every save attempt resulted in a ctd, and when I restarted it showed as a bad save. I emptied the "save" folder and started a new game, and it worked fine again. I have since installed patch 3 on that one and am currently playing it daily. I don't know if installing the patch did it or it just happened to glitch just before it was installed. :shrug One thing I just remembered. Previous saves worked fine. It would start and run fine. I just could not make a new save. Is yours like that?

Jason, the pirate shipyards don't care about your rank with any nations.
However, they won't sell you any pirate design ships unless you're a pirate yourself.
But still, it is possible to buy larger ships from the pirates that regular shipyards wouldn't sell to you yet.

IronStringbean, I was hoping that a new game wouldn't be required, so didn't force the starting of a new game this time around.
However, if you're having trouble using your savegame, perhaps a new game is required after all. :(

IronStringbean, I was hoping that a new game wouldn't be required, so didn't force the starting of a new game this time around.
However, if you're having trouble using your savegame, perhaps a new game is required after all. :(
I beg to differ; for me, it hasn't crashed once since I've played Patch 3, even after saving again from previous Patch 2 saves.
In other words, I've no idea what you'd need to do for it to work for you guys, :modding , but perhaps for now a new game is best. :(
Or perhaps I just haven't tested enough yet. Who knows? The main thing is, hopefully, a new game ISN'T compulsory in all circumstances.

Jason, the pirate shipyards don't care about your rank with any nations.
However, they won't sell you any pirate design ships unless you're a pirate yourself.
But still, it is possible to buy larger ships from the pirates that regular shipyards wouldn't sell to you yet.

Excellent, a great design feature. :will

Hi,

Installed patch 3....reinit with patch 2 save works ok for me too,saved ok after as well.

damski.

Ouch! :cry I have 2 B14 installs, and when I installed patch 2 one of them did that. Every save attempt resulted in a ctd, and when I restarted it showed as a bad save. I emptied the "save" folder and started a new game, and it worked fine again. I have since installed patch 3 on that one and am currently playing it daily. I don't know if installing the patch did it or it just happened to glitch just before it was installed. :shrug One thing I just remembered. Previous saves worked fine. It would start and run fine. I just could not make a new save. Is yours like that?

Mines running exactly as you've stated. I tried my Horatio Hornblower save, ran reinit, and tried to quicksave but got a CTD. My quicksave slot was now showing as a "bad save" so I deleted and tried it again, but still got a CTD. Same thing happened for my Jack Sparrow save.

However, when I started a new standard game, it saved fine.

I tried real quick before I had to work, so I'll fiddle around with it more when I get home. Luckily I save a lot and have plenty of save slots to corrupt :will

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting POTC Build 14 beta 3 working under Windows 7 64 bit.
I get a Visual C++ Runtime Library throw a runtime error when launching Engine.exe.

Runtime error!

Program: F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\ENGINE.exe

abnormal program termination

Here's what I did:

1) Clean install of POTC off the original CDs under F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\
2) Installed Build 14 Beta 1 into F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\, with the SwiftShader 2.0 included.
3) Extracted Patch 3 under F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\
4) Ran config.exe and set my native resolution of 1600x1200.

I installed DX9 off the CD when prompted. Do I need to install some C++ runtime library as well? Has anyone had experience in getting POTC to work under Win 7 64bit?

FYI, I never tried the vanilla POTC in Win 7 so I'm not sure if this issue is specific to Build.

Anyway, keep up the good work! It's been a while since I've tried POTC (2003 or something with build 10 :) )

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently I missed the runme.bat in the Build installation.

All seems to be well now!

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting POTC Build 14 beta 3 working under Windows 7 64 bit.
I get a Visual C++ Runtime Library throw a runtime error when launching Engine.exe.

Runtime error!

Program: F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\ENGINE.exe

abnormal program termination

Here's what I did:

1) Clean install of POTC off the original CDs under F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\
2) Installed Build 14 Beta 1 into F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\, with the SwiftShader 2.0 included.
3) Extracted Patch 3 under F:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean\
4) Ran config.exe and set my native resolution of 1600x1200.

I installed DX9 off the CD when prompted. Do I need to install some C++ runtime library as well? Has anyone had experience in getting POTC to work under Win 7 64bit?

FYI, I never tried the vanilla POTC in Win 7 so I'm not sure if this issue is specific to Build.

Anyway, keep up the good work! It's been a while since I've tried POTC (2003 or something with build 10 :) )

HI Spitfire, did you run the rename.bat file in the main game folder? - I always test run after each stage of installation as well to make sure that each step works -original, B14 beta and then patch 3. I don't have win 7 64bit so can't help much more than this.
Cheers
Captain Cook ;)

I don't recommend using SwiftShader unless you've got an Intel onboard graphics card and the game otherwise doesn't run.
In any case, don't use the options in the main installer file, because I swapped the names and never got the chance to fix them.
If you want ENB Improved Graphics, you can get it seperately from our ModDB profile.
Then you're certain to at least get the CORRECT files. :wp

I do have experience with getting PotC to run under Windows 7 64bit, since that's what my new laptop is.
Thankfully it just works without any tweaking or fiddling being required. :no

Back