• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1

I use XP also, on my main gaming/work rig. It's the best legacy OS still(My old PS6 and illustrator need it!), especially for gaming if you find modern AAA games a bit shallow and short lived ;)

Internet i use a more modern, more secure OS for :yes:

Could you learn how to use TOOL? It is actually pretty easy to use.

The first OS I used that I could tinker with was Windows 3.1 (1991). Win 95 used over 20 floppies. Yes, I had a pre-cd puter. I liked XP and used it until 2008.
Now I can't force myself to go back to it in spite of the fact that there are some old games that I would like to play that will not run on Win7. :facepalm

Pieter: A short while ago you posted a possible fix to the quest group ctd bug. I installed it to another install but never got to the point where it might make a difference. No I didn't save it. :facepalm Now the game I'm playing is getting close to the point where it would work, but I can't find that little doodad. Would you know where it is?
Right here: http://forum.pirates...findpost&p=3623

That little doodad of yours just might be working! :onya I'm playing the lab rat install and have gotten to the Battle for Bridgetown. All year long I could get to it, but no further. This time we breezed right through it. :cheers Now after some repairs and restocking of ammo, it's off to Cozumel for the first time since last October! :drunk

On a side note, this was a good battle fleet. The Spanish BattleGalleon backed up by the Surprise and Boussole.

edit 7 hours later: Done! :mi :mi :mi Captured the Sovereign of the Seas and Silehard, but he disappeared. Cozumel glitched the 1st time thru but worked properly the 2nd time. The Pearl was glitched the 1st time and just sailed away, so I redid it. It worked properly the 2nd time. Captured the Pearl, but then the movies ran together and when they finished the Pearl was sunk. I wuz looking forward to adding her to my fleet. :nerbz The Governor worked properly and I got my reward and a Letter of Marque. Then went sailing around a bit. Had a treasure quest at Turks, so went there and ctd. 3 times. :j3 But it might have went away before your gizmo was installed.

I don't know if anyone else ever had this problem, but it is a game breaker for me, and now it might be cured. :bow :bow :bow

Could you learn how to use TOOL? It is actually pretty easy to use.

The first OS I used that I could tinker with was Windows 3.1 (1991). Win 95 used over 20 floppies. Yes, I had a pre-cd puter. I liked XP and used it until 2008.
Now I can't force myself to go back to it in spite of the fact that there are some old games that I would like to play that will not run on Win7. :facepalm

At some point i guess i could, i do have it, even loaded a few things into it on occasion. If using an XP machine is best then i'll add this to my to-do list, but just keep in mind that is pretty long right now!! I definately want to do something about the Bermuda Sloops, and might even look into Maya(although i think got an older version of 3D Studio Max around here also) as i'd like to change the actual model a bit. Anyway it's on the list :hmm

It's not a high priority project. It's nice to know that fixing the camera on about 14 ships might be doable.

Hello. Excuse me for asking a question that must have been answered many times before, have not read first 30 pages of this thread, as I don't have time to.

1. When are you planning on releasing final 14th version?
2. Do all these upgrades include everything from previous builds?
3. Will I be able to play regular campaign without any issues?
4. Will I be able to play after I've defeated the Black Pearl?

:gday

1. Build 14 will be done when it is done. People are working on it every day and will continue to do so.

2. Yes. Each new patch builds on top of the last one.

3. I play the Sea Hawk quest most every day. There are still some bugs, but most of them are pretty minor. If you run into something let us know!

4. Yes. I am still testing some little tweaks that seem to be doing the trick. The game I am playing now is well past the sinking of the Black Pearl and is still working as well as ever. Thank you Pieter! :bow

A lot depends on your computer and how well it is maintained. This is a weak base program. But there has been some great progress made lately in a number of areas methinks it is time to put out a small patch with Pieter's little code tweaks to bump.zap to Morgan Terror's dialog tweaks to Black Bart's tweaks. And so on and so forth. :drunk

So you haven't any AI group CTDs anymore, Hylie? Can you occasionally check compile.log to see if the entries are there?
If the entries are there, but the game no longer crashes, that'd be positive confirmation it works.

Your timing is impeccable. I had a compile log that was 1.8mb! It was mostly ai group errors, but I had not lost an island and was not getting ctd's.

So today I direct sailed from Port Au Prince to Orangestad. CTD!. Then world sailed there twice. CTD! It looks like I just lost Aruba. :shrug

But! I am a Spanish Amiral, Scourge of the Seven Seas, and the year is 1700. I'm a level 31 , class 4 Captain too. This is still very impressive performance, especially considering that this game is getting its ships changed with me jumping in and out of the game anywhere up to two dozen times a day. :whipa

Anyways, here are some logs. I will post better ones soon enough.

So you confirm that you've seen a compile.log with that "allied character" error message but didn't have a CTD?
Attached log has a different error message than the "usual" culprit.

I wish I had saved that one. It was huge and it was all error messages. Tonight I will stop tinkering and just play the game and get another big one. This little compile.log just says Aruba is gone.

:modding

Some good news though; I've been able to fix another long-standing bug, namely the lost functionality of the Bridgetown Maltese Knight Abbey.
Apparently the location IDs were changed in some but not all places, resulting in a lot of custom code never being executed.
This will be fixed in the next release, making the Abbey much more of an interesting place to visit than before.

It's not much, but this compile log is 655kb. It's just a trip from San Juan to Kralendijk to St. Pierre with storms and battles and trading. I'm afraid I might be losing Krandijk too and was selling things like gold for $22 just to pump up the economy. I have a theory that if an island is not visited in some time it "fades" away and eventually drops out.

edit 13 hours later: This is a much larger one that ended in a ctd just after I finished taking a Mordaunt 1 in a long battle.It was especially tough because I had forgotten to dump the excess money in the ships locker before leaving port and the crew was going to mutiny as soon as the battle ended.

Neither compile.log contains the line I'm looking for: "SEA: Error: You assigned allied character"...

I will keep playing and looking for that line. :dance But, is the absence of that line a good thing or a bad thing? :j2

One day later.........I just got a scare. I sailed from Guadeloupe to Marigot and ctd'ed twice at Nevis in direct sail. The 3rd time I went in world view and stopped at Nevis ok. There were loads of ai group errors, but not what you are looking for.

I am also now at level 33!! :mi Maybe a detour to Cozumel is in order.

The absence is neither good nor bad. It's good in that you haven't run into the problem yet, but bad in that it neither proves nor disproves that my attempted fix works.
Because if my fix does work, you WOULD end up seeing that line BUT the game would no longer crash right after.

Well, it happened. Here it is. I was world sailing from Marigot to Hispaniola and when I went to direct sail............ctd. This game has still held together far far better than any other.

Now to see if Hispaniola is gone for good or not. Nope Hispaniola is gone. 4 attempts give the same error. Myself twice and Edgar Attwood once.

The game is crashing constantly now. "Strange sail" is doing it too.

Strange sail on the starboard beam
All slots in AIGroups are used, need to resize array!!!
Group_FindOrCreateGroup sGroupID = Directenc61, can't create group
Can't find ship type 'War' with ClassMin = 4 and ClassMax = 3

What is this Directenc? I see directenc61 and 70 and 75.

Directenc would be a DirectSail encounter.

That still doesn't have the line I'm looking for.

Two things to try:

1. Open PROGRAM\SEA_AI\AIGroup.c and set:
Code:
#define MAX_SHIP_GROUPS		64
to a higher number, such as 128 or so and see if that helps.

2. Open PROGRAM\CCCdirectsail.c and find:
Code:
string groupname = "Directenc"+rand(100);
Replace with:
Code:
	// PB -->
//	groupname = "Directenc"+rand(100);
if(CheckAttribute(rPlayer, "DirectSailEncounterGroup")) rPlayer.DirectSailEncounterGroup = sti(rPlayer.DirectSailEncounterGroup) + 1;
else rPlayer.DirectSailEncounterGroup = 1;
if(rPlayer.DirectSailEncounterGroup > 20) rPlayer.DirectSailEncounterGroup = 1;
groupname = "Directenc" + sti(rPlayer.DirectSailEncounterGroup);
// PB <--
This should reuse the same 20 groups for DirectSail encounters and hopefully prevent us from going over the max.
This is not tested, but you can try and see what gives.

Aye! Aye! :dance

There is nothing to lose as this game is toast. :boom Every call of "sail ho!" is a ctd.

Done. I set the max ships to 248 for good measure. Now to go play!
thpirateshipff.gif

EDIT: Didn't get anywhere. There is a problem with the last line of your addition in CCCdirectsail.c

COMPILE ERROR - file: CCCdirectsail.c; line: 1393
Undeclared identifier: groupname

EDIT2: I got a ctd with the error

RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIGroup.c; line: 106
invalid index 64 [size:64]
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIGroup.c; line: 106
function 'Group_FindGroup' stack error
RUNTIME ERROR - file: sea_ai\AIGroup.c; line: 29
Using reference variable without initializing

I don't have the knowledge to fix this.

Back