• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3.5 Internal WIP For Testing

A new graphics card with a (very) old game isn't a good combination. I've heard that Nvidia graphics cards run better with old games.

It's more about the software than the hardware. I know someone who recently built a AMD FM2+ system with the 7850K APU and with no discrete video card, just the one built into the APU he can play old games very well that will not even run on my system. It is so frustrating that I am tempted to build one of those for myself. It might struggle a little bit with new games because it is only a quad core, but it rocks on older games.

My biggest concern with POTC right now is why POTC 3.3 runs well but POTC 3.5 runs poorly.

Laptop? EEEEWWWW!!!!

I can build a good desktop for less than a cheap laptop costs. Besides, I do not like laptops. Small screen, tinny speakers, and they run hot.

All was well ship wise until I bought a Heavy East Indiaman all legal like and found this character in my cabin. He will not talk and just stands there.
Beta 3 2015-04-05 10-02-55-65.jpg
I got another Heavy all illegal like and swapped ships, and he is still there in that one too.

There are too many hiwaymen in the jungles. They are so common they reduce variety and become boring.

I got the 4 gun set! They are very powerful and I need to learn to use them sparingly.

All was well ship wise until I bought a Heavy East Indiaman all legal like and found this character in my cabin. He will not talk and just stands there.
I got another Heavy all illegal like and swapped ships, and he is still there in that one too.
That is basically Malcolm Hatcher from the tutorial, renamed for the La Croix opening.
Probably he isn't removed properly, so I suppose I have to look into that one too....

There are too many hiwaymen in the jungles. They are so common they reduce variety and become boring.
Levis bumped up the amount of them a bit at Pillat's request a while back because they weren't occurring enough and you need them to unlock one of the perks.
Can't find the code that did that in a hurry though.

Playing "Hornblower" and trying some side quests, mostly at St. Pierre:

The "Patric Cardone" side quest still skips the visit to Lucien Bescanceny. You talk to the tavern keeper to learn about Lucien, talk to Patric who sends you to the house next to the church, find out Raoul Calmes is behind the smuggling, then talk to Patric again and tell him you've found the thief without needing to go and find the thief (Lucien) first.

Fred Bob will probably work - hint, don't do this until you've completed "The Duchess and the Devil", otherwise Fred Bob will disappear when you go to the prison fort. But the letter he gives you is not properly shown in your inventory; it only shows its code name ("letter_reward"), not the full description. So I've yet to see if "Help the Lady" also works.

Thierry Bosquet works, but when you meet him outside the city gates, killing his buccaneer friend triggers the "Fort commander sends reinforcements" ambush. More soldiers arrive and any civilians in the area also turn hostile.

The "Blaque Family" quest works perfectly. So do the woman who lost her husband and son, and helping Turpin Cabanel with the smugglers.

Elsewhere, "Help The Church" also completes correctly. Unlike Fred Bob's letter, the priest's love letter did show its description correctly.

Just to be sure, was that using the most recent version?

The "Patric Cardone" side quest still skips the visit to Lucien Bescanceny. You talk to the tavern keeper to learn about Lucien, talk to Patric who sends you to the house next to the church, find out Raoul Calmes is behind the smuggling, then talk to Patric again and tell him you've found the thief without needing to go and find the thief (Lucien) first.
That suggests there is something spefically in Hornblower that changes things. It seemed OK in the other storyline and the code is now shared between them all.

Fred Bob will probably work - hint, don't do this until you've completed "The Duchess and the Devil", otherwise Fred Bob will disappear when you go to the prison fort. But the letter he gives you is not properly shown in your inventory; it only shows its code name ("letter_reward"), not the full description. So I've yet to see if "Help the Lady" also works.
RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\English\itemsDescribe.txt should contain the "letter_reward" entry, but I'm not 100% sure if it does.
I think it should though; I've been moving item-related code around a week ago or so to make sure they're properly shared now.

Thierry Bosquet works, but when you meet him outside the city gates, killing his buccaneer friend triggers the "Fort commander sends reinforcements" ambush. More soldiers arrive and any civilians in the area also turn hostile.
This is probably changed with my changes from this weekend. I'll upload those soon; probably this evening.

Just to be sure, was that using the most recent version?
It was with the installer from 1st April and the zip update also from 1st April.

RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\English\itemsDescribe.txt should contain the "letter_reward" entry, but I'm not 100% sure if it does.
I think it should though; I've been moving item-related code around a week ago or so to make sure they're properly shared now.
Yes, "itemsDescribe.txt" does contain the following:
Code:
; --> Fred Bob quest items added by CatalinaThePirate
itmname_letter_reward   {Reward Letter}
itmdescr_letter_reward
{
This sealed letter has an inscription on the envelope promising a reward to the deliverer.
}

It was with the installer from 1st April and the zip update also from 1st April.

Yes, "itemsDescribe.txt" does contain the following:
Code:
itmdescr_letter_reward
{
This sealed letter has an inscription on the envelope promising a reward to the deliverer.
}
Change to this and see if it does then display:
Code:

itmdescr_letter_reward
{
}
Only difference is the extra white line; for mysterious reasons, that can make a difference on those INI text files. :facepalm

I've added a line of code now to make him disappear altogether.

Found the number. It was 0.2 in Beta 3.2 and changed to 0.4 in Beta 3.4, so I'm averaging it out now and it'll be 0.3 in the next update. :wp

ZIP attached to opening post updated again. Stuff changed:
- "Fort Commander Reinforcements" further limited; please let me know if these still mess up certain quest scenes
- Modified ship progression for Hornblower Free Play
- "Sinking the Vogelstruijs" available in ALL storyline as sidequest at Port au Prince/Hôpital (new game required for this to become available).
NOTE: The dialogs for this don't actually make any sense outside the La Croix storyline, so SOMEBODY PLEASE REWRITE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Reduced chance for highwaymen in the jungle again
- La Croix is a "Rogue" instead of a "Gambler"
- Evil Stormy Start is linked to Swashbuckler difficulty level
- "Rebel" nation relations on Arcade Game Mode are as per @Jason's suggestion (e.g. nation relations of your former nation towards other nations is not taken into account)
- Malcolm Hatcher type character removed after opening scene for custom player starts
- Extra characters in La Croix jail scene removed to prevent them messing up the story
- "Reward Letter" text display fixed

Ok.

How much of this will work without starting a new game. I ask because I am in the middle of something and do not want to start over later.

"Fort Commander Reinforcements" will work on an existing game.
F11 should update that highwaymen encounter chance on a savegame as well.
The character in your cabin can be removed on a savegame by executing this code through PROGRAM\console.c:
Code:
ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterFromID("Malcolm Hatcher"), "none", "", "");

Most other changes specifically relate to the start of the La Croix storyline.

New Game is not enforced and existing savegames will still work. So there should be no harm in installing it if you had last week's update.

Game breaks down after I installed the latest Zip file.
Black screen after the Intro. Im stuck .

Last edited:
Game breaks down after I installed the latest Zip file.
Black screen after the Intro. Im stuck .
What starting options? Any log files?
I don't remember anything crash worthy going in this one.

I added the ZIP to the game, just as I use to do. Black screen after few seconds.

Attachments

• system.log
    374 bytes · Views: 93
  • compile.log
    1.7 KB · Views: 60
  • error.log
    58 bytes · Views: 76
AGH! Some old code managed to sneak back in because I hadn't removed the files from the previous patch from my desktop yet.
Let's try that again, shall we? Opening post updated with the corrected files included.

@ANSEL: Please remove the Nelson, LaCroix, JackAubrey and JeanLafitte files and folders from your PROGRAM\Storyline folder if you have them.
Some of those sneaked back in with the previous ZIP but they should have remained gone. :facepalm

I have just made a clean install of the latest update EXE and extracted the ZIP I just posted on top.
No errors now that I can see. :no

@ANSEL: If you still have issues with the ZIP I just posted and after removing those Storyline files and folders, I'd recommend removing the "options" file.
The error.log entry is actually related to profiles, which came as a bit of a surprise to me.... o_O

Back