• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3.5 Internal WIP For Testing

Opening post ZIP updated with the latest:
Code:
Build 14 Beta 3.5:
- New Features:
  . Improved Select Storyline Interface by Levis and Pieter Boelen
    > Possibility to change starting date
      - Correction for custom year resetting on the WorldMap
  . Improved Commissioned Player Type by Grey Roger & Pieter Boelen:
    > Gain ships, officers and uniforms as you are promoted [WIP: Done for England, France and Holland]
      - Includes Michiel de Ruyter starting character
- Code Updates:
  . Minimum Ship Initialization Values Enforced by Pieter Boelen
    > Minimum and maximum crew overwritten if set too low in ships_init.c
    > Default "Auto Buy" supply will always fit into each ship's cargo hold
    > Changes to ensure ship randomization doesn't cause less capacity than the pre-calculated minimum
    > Possibility to set "supply scalars" in ships_init.c to distinguish between coastal, regular and long-distance ships
- For Future Development:
  . Realistic Cargo Mod by Pieter Boelen
    > Disabled with SHIPS_WEIGHT toggle at the bottom of PROGRAM\globals.c, enabling requires New Game!
    > Crew amount and cannons included dynamically in cargo capacity [WIP: To be tested]
    > Overweight ships capsize if the problem is not resolved within a minute
    > Naval ships have double capacity for supplies, but reduced extra capacity for other cargo

I am doing the Animist quest and just got done with the part where I go save the Montanez.

So far overall I am having a very hard time making money. Merchant jobs don't pay much, smuggling is ok when I have the money to buy cargo, and I am 0 for 2 on treasure quests. At level 9 I managed to move up from the Diligente Tartane to the Neptunus Sloop of War so thought I was ok with those two Animist ships. Wrong! For the first time ever I got sunk in that battle!:pirateraft I usually have 2-3 medium size ships when I get there, but not this time. The first time they started ramming me and sank me that way. I was trying to board them but could not. The 2nd time I stayed back and that was working ok until they moved in and tried to ram again. So I took off and headed for Speightstown and the blockade fleet where the Belette took them out. Oddly, none of those ships raised sails.

After the cut scene I ended up at the Lighthouse which was good as the English are mad at me. Something different was that Mergildo never mutinied on the way to San Juan. So that change works.

Now to figure out how to sink that French barque without the French getting mad at me. :nerbz Oh yeah. Level 10 and I have yet to sink or capture a ship. One battle with three pirates ended when we all just sailed away. The Neptunus doesn't seem to be a very good fighting ship and those huge crews prevent boarding.

I really do wonder what makes the difference between the game being so easy for you or not at all.
At no point recently have we made any substantial changes to the economy, but what you experience in the different versions is all over the place. :shock

After the cut scene I ended up at the Lighthouse which was good as the English are mad at me. Something different was that Mergildo never mutinied on the way to San Juan. So that change works.
Sounds good on both accounts. :onya

It always starts off tuff and then around level 15-18 it gets easy. Maybe I just got too deep into the storyline too fast. I will start a new game and take it slow and easy this time.

New game and money is coming in faster so that is looking good. And I just survived a 7-1 fight! Still stoked. :duel::bounce

I am doing the Animist quest and just got done with the part where I go save the Montanez.

So far overall I am having a very hard time making money. Merchant jobs don't pay much, smuggling is ok when I have the money to buy cargo, and I am 0 for 2 on treasure quests.

Have prices for goods changed? I remember a suggestion to reduce prices for goods so that a pirate or privateer who helps himself to lots of cargo thanks to the new expanded capacities doesn't then get disgustingly rich after one battle. That could mess things up for traders.

I was trying to board them but could not.
You can't board the Animist ships. This has been the case for ages. My guess is that boarding them used to foul up the game the same way as if you board all three ships which Silehard sends to recapture Bridgetown, and someone "solved" the problem by making the Animist ships unboardable.

The teleport to lighthouse should have been happening for anyone hostile to England long ago but the condition line to trigger it never worked. I think @Pieter Boelen finally nailed it down, as well as fixing Mergildo Hurtado's tendency to mutiny.
Now to figure out how to sink that French barque without the French getting mad at me. :nerbz Oh yeah. Level 10 and I have yet to sink or capture a ship. One battle with three pirates ended when we all just sailed away. The Neptunus doesn't seem to be a very good fighting ship and those huge crews prevent boarding.
What difficulty level are you playing? Because I've had better luck - I haven't sunk anything by gunfire lately but I did sail into a group of Spanish merchants in a Jackass Bark and sailed out in an ex-Spanish Fast Galleon. Admittedly the Jackass had about three times as many crew as it should have thanks to the cannons, crew and cargo mod, but even so it shouldn't have as many as a Fast Galleon. On the other hand, what I did have was an awesome sword (formerly the property of a French captain who had no further use for it or his ship), one officer who is immortal due to being provided by the quest, and one officer who is Fred Bob. This is on Adventurer level. Of course, playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" while upsetting the English and staying friends with the French raises the difficulty even further; when I play that story, I tend to do it the other way round. :D

Have prices for goods changed? I remember a suggestion to reduce prices for goods so that a pirate or privateer who helps himself to lots of cargo thanks to the new expanded capacities doesn't then get disgustingly rich after one battle. That could mess things up for traders.
When J Norrington increased the cargo capacities, he also reduced the price of goods to compensate.
However, both changes are reverted to Beta 3.4 state.

The teleport to lighthouse should have been happening for anyone hostile to England long ago but the condition line to trigger it never worked. I think @Pieter Boelen finally nailed it down, as well as fixing Mergildo Hurtado's tendency to mutiny.
It probably should have done even before, as long as you REAL relation to England was hostile.
I changed it to flag-dependent when you mentioned it, but then changed it back to use the original function when you said you preferred it to NOT be flag-dependent.
The only real change now is to set your ship location accordingly and for the code to look at Bridgetown's actual nation.

New game. Money is not a problem so far. I have a smaller ship and am making more money per run.

A Fast Galleon should have 370-410 crew so capturing it with 180 or so should be pretty tuff, but Fred Bob is pretty tuff too. I'm on my way to go get him meself as there is treasure in Cuba that is guarded by a dozen or so pirates.

Opening post ZIP updated again. Changes included:
Code:
Build 14 Beta 3.5:
- New Features:
  . Improved Select Storyline Interface by Levis and Pieter Boelen
    > Possibility to change starting date
        - Correction for custom year resetting on the WorldMap
    > Interface elements enabled and disabled as appropriate to prevent errors
        - Correction for Naval Officer player type to allow more freedom to change nation
  . Improved Commissioned Player Type by Grey Roger & Pieter Boelen:
    > Gain ships, officers and uniforms as you are promoted [WIP: Done for England, France and Holland]
        - Update to Michiel de Ruyter playable character
- Code Updates:
  . Reinit (F11) functionality updates player and companion ship stats by Pieter Boelen
- Storyline Updates:
  . Sidequests:
    > Generic sidequests disabled where a custom version is available by Pieter Boelen
       - Code for this corrected to do what it was intended to
- For Future Development:
  . Realistic Cargo Mod by Pieter Boelen
   > Disabled with SHIPS_WEIGHT toggle at the bottom of PROGRAM\globals.c, enabling requires New Game!
   > Minimum and maximum crew overwritten if set too low in ships_init.c
New game again ENFORCED because the sidequest issue was too terrible to leave be.
See here for the note on how to override that: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...nal-wip-for-testing.24817/page-21#post-506919
Make sure to press F11 if you do decide to continue from an old save.

1,000 curses! :rumgone This game was off to a rockin start. Oh well, maybe the next one will be as good.

I really hope the crews aren't altered from what's shown in "Ships_init.c". I'm using crew size as one of the factors in the promotion reward ships, and I'm trying to arrange that each time you are promoted you get a ship which is in some way better than the previous one. If you have a ship with a lower crew (e.g. a corvette with 30 guns of 12lb and a nominal crew of 288) and receive a ship with a larger crew (e.g. a Rossiya frigate with 36 guns of 12lb and a crew of 378), except that the smaller ship gets its crew boosted (e.g. maybe that corvette ends up with a crew of 400), then the new ship is hardly if any better, possibly worse (similar or smaller crew than the corvette, not many more guns, bigger therefore probably less agile).

I really hope the crews aren't altered from what's shown in "Ships_init.c". I'm using crew size as one of the factors in the promotion reward ships, and I'm trying to arrange that each time you are promoted you get a ship which is in some way better than the previous one. If you have a ship with a lower crew (e.g. a corvette with 30 guns of 12lb and a nominal crew of 288) and receive a ship with a larger crew (e.g. a Rossiya frigate with 36 guns of 12lb and a crew of 378), except that the smaller ship gets its crew boosted (e.g. maybe that corvette ends up with a crew of 400), then the new ship is hardly if any better, possibly worse (similar or smaller crew than the corvette, not many more guns, bigger therefore probably less agile).
The crew overwriting is disabled again so the ships_init.c values are always used (just with some randomization applied, like always).

Opening post EXE Installer replaced again. It now includes the contents from the last ZIP too, so no more two-step process.
This should hopefully serve as a stable and playable base to work from for a while.

I started a new game and am at level 5 with $222,000 piasters with no smuggling and only just now captured and sold one small ship. This game is setup well for making money.

I would like to see some work done on cargo capacities in the future. These screenies illustrate the issue pretty well. The longer, wider, taller tartane with 4 cannons and small crew has much less cargo capacity than the schooner with its 20 cannons and three times larger crew. It is like this with many ships.
POTC new 2015-05-13 20-58-43-20.jpg POTC new 2015-05-13 20-56-38-16.jpg POTC new 2015-05-13 20-56-33-56.jpg

Cargo capacities are Back to the way they always were.
Only exception is that the Auto Buy Supplies are required to fit in the hold.

I'd welcome anyone willing to improve things further.
As long as I don't have to do it myself.

I would like to see some work done on cargo capacities in the future. These screenies illustrate the issue pretty well. The longer, wider, taller tartane with 4 cannons and small crew has much less cargo capacity than the schooner with its 20 cannons and three times larger crew. It is like this with many ships.
View attachment 21018 View attachment 21019 View attachment 21020
There's certainly something wrong and it's not cargo capacities. A schooner is supposed to be 200 tons and have capacity 1250. A tartane is supposed to be 10 tons and have capacity 200. The tartane should be a lot smaller than the schooner! In fact, it either needs to be more than 10 tons or it needs its capacity reduced because 200 cwt is 10 tons, i.e. the entire ship is cargo hold.

What happens if I change the ship's weight in "Ships_init.c"? If I make the tartane have weight 50 tons and capacity 600, will it sink, look stupid, or actually work? Of course, that won't stop the model of the little tiddler from looking bigger than a ship which is supposed to be four times heavier. Changing model sizes is beyond me. I reckon whoever designed that blue and yellow tartane may be the one to make it a more sensible size. ;)

Back