• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3.5 Internal WIP For Testing

ZIP file in the first post updated again. including some new bugfixes.

Opening post ZIP updated once more. New game not required, but definitely recommended as the names of all characters you talked to in the game until this fix have gotten combined,
resulting in potentially missing last names for them.

I sincerely hope this will be the last update for a little bit so that some proper testing can be done too.
At least we should have covered most big bugs that cropped their ugly heads recently.

WONT WORK IN A NEW GAME UNLESS YOU EXECUTE THIS COMMAND TROUGH THE CONSOLE
Code:
ch = &Characters[GetCharacterIndex("indian_storekeeper")];
ch.Dialog.Filename.Ayahuasca = "ayahuasca_trading.c";

Opening post ZIP updated once more. New game not required, but definitely recommended as the names of all characters you talked to in the game until this fix have gotten combined,
resulting in potentially missing last names for them.
The only missing name I've noticed so far is my own. On the "Ship" screen, my ship is shown as being commanded by Francis. Anywhere else, I'm correctly called Francis Drake.

I really don't want to have to start a new game unless there are more serious problems involved with keeping the old one, as I'm currently in rather a good position. As well as having completed several side quests (with savegames at the start of a couple in case needed for testing), I recently sailed to Isla do Palo Brasil (known to most of you in other periods as Bonaire) on various quest business, and on the way found a battle in progress, Dutch merchants vs. Spanish small patrol. Spain's idea of a "small" patrol was a Spanish War Galleon, a Heavy War Galleon and a third ship which was obscured by one of the others so I couldn't identify it. The Heavy War Galleon gave me a broadside which took my hull from 100% down to about 20% in one salvo. I wasn't going to survive another of those, so I closed in as fast as possible, bow guns spitting grapeshot, but before I could swing round to give him a broadside, he boarded me. (All enemy captains seem to have the "Master of Boarding" perk which allows you to ignore relative heading and speed. So do I, via a boatswain, along with Grappling 10, yet I didn't even see a boarding icon before he boarded me.) The boarding scene for Golden Hind vs. a big ship is the one with a medium galleon next to a large galleon and one boarding plank between them, which meant I could stand on that plank with gold armour, Francis Drake's Sword and Melee 10, and kill anyone who tried to get across. There's just about enough room for two people to cross at once so a few of them slipped past, then met one of my officers who also has gold armour, Melee 10 and a fully polished Back-bladed Sword. So we slaughtered the enemy boarders easily enough. The next deck wasn't going to be as easy, but in fact the next deck wasn't a problem at all because the captain surrendered. I then found that what was hidden behind the Heavy War Galleon was another Heavy War Galleon. (Remember, this was supposed to be a "small" patrol. xD) It probably unloaded its broadside into my new prize, which could survive that, and certainly didn't give it to Golden Hind, which couldn't. So again I closed in quickly, he boarded me, and we slaughtered his boarders. This one wasn't giving up so easily but all my companion officers have Melee 10, gold armour and polished Back-bladed Swords, so although we lost a few crew, we took the enemy's deck, gun deck and cargo hold, and then he surrendered. At this point I decided to run away. Partly because I'd been lucky so far and didn't want to make the mistake of pushing that luck one step too far, partly because I'd need to close in on the last galleon and risk getting a broadside in the face, and partly because I couldn't take another prize anyway as Will Turner was sailing with me and probably wondering why I was detouring to Isla do Palo Brasil instead of heading back to La Tortue to split the loot from the silver train.

So now I have two of the most powerful type of ship available in "Early Explorers", and when my gunner and surgeon have all the gunnery and defence perks respectively, I'm going fort-bashing...

The only missing name I've noticed so far is my own. On the "Ship" screen, my ship is shown as being commanded by Francis. Anywhere else, I'm correctly called Francis Drake.

I really don't want to have to start a new game unless there are more serious problems involved with keeping the old one, as I'm currently in rather a good position.
Your character name might have gotte confused as well through a self dialog. Execute this through console to set that straight (I hope):
Code:
PChar.name = "Francis";
PChar.lastname = "Drake";
What happened in a dialog is that you get .name = "Francis Drake" and .lastname = "" . :facepalm

Doesn't quite explain your report though....

Spain's idea of a "small" patrol was a Spanish War Galleon, a Heavy War Galleon and a third ship which was obscured by one of the others so I couldn't identify it. [...] I then found that what was hidden behind the Heavy War Galleon was another Heavy War Galleon. (Remember, this was supposed to be a "small" patrol. xD)
I have been dubious about those descriptions before as well, but when I checked it a while back, it did seem to match up.
The encounter types are defined in PROGRAM\Ecnounters\encounters_init.c and I think the descriptions are linked through PROGRAM\MAXIMUS_functions.c .
You can check there to see what is considered to be a "small patrol" in those files and hopefully find out that way if your encounter does fit that description.

All enemy captains seem to have the "Master of Boarding" perk which allows you to ignore relative heading and speed. So do I, via a boatswain, along with Grappling 10, yet I didn't even see a boarding icon before he boarded me.
YOU have that perk, right? I have often had the impression that the ability to board is "shared" between yourself and the enemy captain.
So if YOU can board HIM, then HE can board YOU. Not entirely sensible. :facepalm

They were boarding me as if they had that perk long before any of my boatswains got it. Perks are expensive and it costs three points to get "Long Range Boarding", which you need to have before you can spend another three points on "Master of Boarding". Also, the perk doesn't always work for me. If a larger enemy ship is crossing my bow, he'll board me. If I'm crossing an enemy's bow at zero range, I can't always board him, which is why that boatswain is saving up for "Instant Boarding" - if I can't board the proper way, I'll board the improper way. :p

I had to choose between a steam frigate and an advanced warship. I like the steam frigate, but how do I get the engines running?

I had to choose between a steam frigate and an advanced warship. I like the steam frigate, but how do I get the engines running?
Use Numpad [+] and [-] for speed increase/decrease and Numpad [*] for stopping the engines.
I think it is mentioned in the Documentation\Default Key Assignments.txt file.
Note that she needs planks as fuel for the engine.

This should be explained in-game as well

Can't remember now if it is listed in the Controls Menu or not. Should not be too hard to add if that wasn't already done.
Of course the chance of players actually looking at that to find out is probably very low. :facepalm

It isn't for nothing that the Installer EXE at the beginning always points to the files in the Documentation folder.
But again, despite my best efforts, I cannot force players to actually read the recommendations there.
As long as they come here to ask, at least they can find the answers they need. :shrug

Standard storyline: I bought some new clothes, at the tailor in Sao Jorge, and look what happened: seadogs2_0005.jpg

Reactions: A.H
Yes, I noticed that, though I didn't actually buy the outfit. There are two costumes labelled "A perfect outfit for an infiltration mission in Spanish towns." These are "GypsyCaptn_6" and "GypsyCaptn_11". The latter is for a specific part of the "Bartolomeu o Portugues" storyline in which you're climbing up the side of a ship.

You should have had fair warning, though. When you click on a costume description, the tailor changes to the model in question so you can see what you're buying. So when I noticed two costumes for sale both labelled "A perfect outfit for an infiltration mission in Spanish towns", I clicked on each in turn to see what the difference was, and it was the tailor who then assumed the posture. xD

Better change:
Code:
  model.description =  "A perfect outfit for an infiltration mission in Spanish towns.";
   model.id    =  "GypsyCaptn_11";
   model.ani      =  "climb";   
   model.FaceId   = 364;
   model.nation    =  BROKEN; // <-------- THAT LINE!
That was PORTUGAL,which allows it to be sold. Uhm.... We don't want that. ;)

Fun ship, but didn't cut it, the masts are too easily broken...
I do wonder what it is with the Constitution-variations and having their masts easily broken. Their sail hit points is 300, which is more than the default (200).
@Hylie Pistof or @Armada, have you got any clue what might be influencing this because I really don't.

At least with the steam frigate, you do have an alternate means of propulsion when your masts are down.
But even so, it is more of an auxiliary engine than anything else.

Back