• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

LOL! Don't worry, while I pretty low standards they are still higher than that. :pirate07: I started out with the original Atari Pong in 1976 and bought my first computer in 1983 and still remember when everything looked like that.

My li'l brother is CRAZY about Minecraft. And I just don't see it. If I want to construct stuff, I'll do it for real with my dear old LEGO! Much more better. ;)

They're rare, but do appear randomly in the last two time periods. :yes
Sorry for asking too many noob questions. Does that mean the Ai also uses steamships? And how many kinds appear in the game? Because I was under the impression that there was only one or three steamships in the whole game and just for the player to use. I am looking for one or two unique steamships. If I can get their names that would be awesome.

It's pretty easy to spot or recognize one if you spot or see one.

And yes, it depends on the time period. Here's a hint if you really want to find and capture one:
HINT: These ships only came out when American flags appeared.

But, if you ain't that patient, then just try what the others are suggesting:
  • Find that island and negotiate with that man or creature or whatever you can call him/it? when you meet him/it.
HINT:
Island: The island that cannot be found except for those who already know where it is.
Man/Creature/etc: Initials H.V.

And the quickest but most boring way,
there's always the choosing of any ship of yours when starting a new game if cheatmode is enabled if you only want just one for yourself.

Sorry for asking too many noob questions.
No worries. We're here to help. :doff

Does that mean the Ai also uses steamships? And how many kinds appear in the game? Because I was under the impression that there was only one or three steamships in the whole game and just for the player to use. I am looking for one or two unique steamships. If I can get their names that would be awesome.
There are three different steamships, a British one, a French one and an American one. They're called:
"Jeanne d'Arc Steam Frigate"
"Astrea class Steam Frigate"
"Hudson class Steam Frigate"

The AI indeed does use them in the Revolutions and Napoleonic time periods. You would be able to spot them quite easily from the steam plumes on the horizon. :cheeky

Really any ship you choose becomes unique! No AI will use that ship in the game?
Uh? No. Unique ships are unique no matter what. Doesn't matter whether the player is using a ship or not.
I think DavyJack means setting ENABLE_CHEATMODE to 1 at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h
and then using the Select Storyline interface to give yourself a steamship right from the beginning of the game.
But that only works in the Revolutions and Napoleonic time periods as well. Only Vanderdecken will sell them before that.

No worries. We're here to help. :doff

There are three different steamships, a British one, a French one and an American one. They're called:
"Jeanne d'Arc Steam Frigate"
"Astrea class Steam Frigate"
"Hudson class Steam Frigate"
i am trying to edit some of the steamships, however i don't want the AI to use them. I assume that although the ships listed above are not unique, once i acquire them and they are in my possession, the AI can't use them anymore and they become mine and only mine right?
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Go into your POTC--->program--->ships--->shipsinit.c. In it find the steamships and in the "//nation" section make the one nation that has that ship 0.0 and no one else will have that ship.

Go into your POTC--->program--->ships--->shipsinit.c. In it find the steamships and in the "//nation" section make the one nation that has that ship 0.0 and no one else will have that ship.
Should I do that before starting a new game or it does not matter as long as i use "f12" to load the changes (which I have not tried yet). I have noticed that some changes made in the ini files do not take effect unless you start a new game ( I repeat I have not tried using the F12 key yet).

Last edited:
Now i understand. "Jeanne d'Arc Steam Frigate", "Astrea class Steam Frigate" or "Hudson class Steam Frigate" are just prototypes use to build the many steamships present in the game, therefore it is not their real names,It's like what Latin is to the romance languages.
"Go into your POTC--->program--->ships--->shipsinit.c. In it find the steamships and in the "//nation" section make the one nation that has that ship 0.0 and no one else will have that ship."
However i am still curious on how this works. If you make a nation lose their ships by using the 0.0, how are you going to capture four of them for yourself and your officers.

It would appear that you are impaled on the horns of a dilemma. :nerbz

But there is always Vanderdecken. :keith

This Vanderdecken guy, i heard a lot about him. Some say everything he sells is unique not to be found anywhere in the potc world. Tortislawrek.

:ahoy

I have been a way for a while. I am wondering if there have been any fixes or updates to 3.1 full. I gave it up when I could get to battle from the world map. The game really isn't there for me if that doesn't work. So that is fixed I would love to start again.

Also based on what I saw in the December and January it seems to me we should have a conversation about the basic game's difficulty. On the one hand the rationale for putting the soldiers with low quality weapons on the national ships was to make easier for people in boarding. One the other hand the number skill points required in was raised significantly, in some cases to ridiculous levels that a casual player may never reach, in order to make it more difficult. Those two changes seem diametrically opposite to me. The leads me to ask in an over all sense do we thing the game is difficult and too easy at the same time and is there a process for vetting changes like that, if not do we need one. My starting position would be reverse those two changes and let question of difficulty be resolved by the 4 levels of difficulty in the game. If you start at level one that is pretty ease if you don't bite off more than you can chew.

:dance

Minecraft graphics in PotC? Do you have a screenshot? Doesn't sound right.
Sounds like he's not running the game with anti-aliasing, that's all. Not quite a fair comparison. xD

My li'l brother is CRAZY about Minecraft. And I just don't see it. If I want to construct stuff, I'll do it for real with my dear old LEGO! Much more better. ;)
LOL, same here, except I haven't made anything out of LEGO in... a long time. Digital modelling must've got the better of me. :wp

Back