• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

Well, I'm back playing POTC and just finished a battle with 2 boarding actions. I found the battle on the world map and then found the ships in direct sail at normal distances. :thumbs1

During the boardings I was the only one to fire a shot and all my crew had single shot pistols. I seem to remember them using them before. The pistols did work a few months ago, didn't they?

I thought they did. And I don't remember any related code being touched either. :modding

Unless.... I did add "potions" to the Weaponslocker. Perhaps I did that wrong and broke the pistols in the process?
Is there any way of confirming if the crew does actually take the pistols?

Last edited:
I thought they did. And I don't remember any related code being touched either. :modding

Unless.... I did add "potions" to the Weaponslocker. Perhaps I did that wrong and broke the pistols in the process?
Is there any way of confirming if the crew does actually take the pistols?
I can confirm that they pick them up, even the hi grade one, because I have taken them off their corpses.

So the problem then indeed IS them not actually USING them?
That makes me think of the Ammo Mod, but that shouldn't even be applying to them. :facepalm

The pistols did work a few months ago, didn't they?
Hmm, I wonder about the fix I made for long guns in LAi_boarding:

I added lines in 3 places, 2 of them concerning "enemy group" but one about "player group".
Lines 1596, 1597. Maybe it's worth a try to // these lines and see...

Or we can force their pistols to be charged from that very moment?

I can confirm that they pick them up, even the hi grade one, because I have taken them off their corpses.
Aye! That'd be true. :yes:pirate41::guns::duel:
So the problem then indeed IS them not actually USING them?
That makes me think of the Ammo Mod, but that shouldn't even be applying to them. :facepalm
I can confirm, well in my game, that my crew is using the pistols I am giving them. They even ignore the muskets and take the Large Brace Pistols instead. So I usually remove them pistols so they only pick the muskets during or when boarding hostile ships. And they do fire them. The muskets and even the large brace pistols.

I recommend giving these kinds of weapon "muskets and alike" (if God Mode is OFF) when reaching an HP of 250+, no crew is killed with them firing close to each other when I have 250+HP. I also put potions, leaches and antidote in their weaponslocker, I don't know if that would make a difference or the case.

EDIT: I don't use musketoons btw, muskets are more powerful. Hehehe. :guns:

Last edited:
Putting potions in there should indeed help. However, I wouldn't mind some confirmation that it actually does.

Well I can see how it might help with health /longevity but not the firing of the weapons.

Any progress on crew weapons?

Last edited:
Now the Pieter has returned and there will be a new patch / version in the future I want to share my views on the change that was made in the abilities points system in Beta 3.1 I really very, very, extremely dislike this system where it takes as many as four points to get an ability. And this on top of the perquisite abilities. I don't really see the point of making it that difficult. We have four difficulty levels and realistic mode and direct sail all which IMO contribute to making the game as complex and difficult as we desire. This particular change in effect makes it impossible to achieve some of those levels without committing to playing one game for weeks and or months for hours per day. It feels gratuitous, arbitrary and not very well thought out. I think it is should be rethought and then re-set.

Ah, you want a short fast moving game where you advance quickly. I was the one who started this as the game is essentially over in a short time with no more challenges.

Put the perks back the way they were and I will simply not use any perks. They are optional anyway. :shrug

Now the Pieter has returned and there will be a new patch / version in the future I want to share my views on the change that was made in the abilities points system in Beta 3.1.

Me, personaly, I like the new perk system, the game is (in my oppinion) on normal difficulty when you choose hardest difficulty and iron man sailing mode, the perk system makes it a bit more challenging.

Obviously, I am in the minority here. If I have anything more to say it is I think that you went to0 far. I presume we have a broad spectrum of players and putting 4 points on some these plus requiring prerequisite abilities with multiple points in effect puts some skills out of the reach the reach of the more casual players.

All valid points, of course. Have you tried Levis' update for it yet? I know he rebalanced things, though am not sure if that would make it better or not.

In any case, it might be worth putting a toggle on this one.

It would be great if you guys could release an optional file with the coming of the next patch which would change the enemy boarding weapons back to random. I noticed that I am not the only one who is facing the problem with nation-correct weapons, which makes all of them carry same single weapon for each nation.

That would be easily restored. Perhaps indeed we should do that and keep the nation-specific weapons for town guards only.
In boardings, wouldn't you use whatever you can find anyway?

Back