• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

In that case, perhaps release the early December version of Beta 3.3 now. It may not have all the latest bugfixes but it certainly beats Beta 3.2, and is pretty well what you set out to do with Beta 3.3 - keep the good bits of Beta 3.2, knock out all the stuff which didn't work, add a few bugfixes. Then all the new stuff and further bugfixing which has happened since then counts as Beta 3.4 WIP.
The early December one? Why that one? We've fixed so many other things since then and almost have the current Beta 3.3 WIP ready to go.

One thing that is absolutely preventing me from making a release based on an early December version and still applies now is that the citizen dialogs for the new towns are still wrong.
We cannot make a release version where people have new towns to walk around in and only get confused because the directions point them the wrong way. :facepalm
So.... If you can finish that, it'll certainly help us along. :cheeky

At the moment I am aiming to get everything fixed up before the end of the weekend. Just have a few more things on the to-do list before I can make it.

The early December one? Why that one? We've fixed some many other things since then and almost have the current Beta 3.3 WIP ready to go.
Because that's the last version I know before all the new stuff was added, with new bugs included. As I said, it still beats what's currently on release, which is Beta 3.2. That's the place to draw a line under Beta 3.3, call it done, and regard what has been done since then as Beta 3.4.

I doubt I'll have a full set of new directions in place before the end of the weekend, not least because I've had to keep restarting the game as continuing updates have rendered previous savegames obsolete - I can barely get away from Nevis pirate settlement long enough to complete a fetch quest. ;) I'll ignore anything released from today onwards, concentrate on getting to Oranjestad, Santo Domingo and Oranjestad, and make up some new directions for them. Hopefully I can release new direction files some time next week... So you could release that version of Beta 3.3 right now, then release the newest version as Beta 3.4 when the dialogues are updated and the rest of your to-do list has become a done list.

Well then I guess we try to finish the last few things on our wishlist this weekend and in the next few days we can do some more play testing but only fix bugs and new things go to a seperate file after that. We wait till your direction are done and then we release it as a new release.
Does that sound well?
I think most of the newly added things are pretty much stable now already.

Because that's the last version I know before all the new stuff was added, with new bugs included.
Definitely I do agree with focusing on fixing and finishing now. That has always been the intention for what we are doing now,
though some development managed to slip through (AGH! So tempting to do FUN things instead of fixing stupid crap! :whipa).
The main new things are Smuggling, returned Fetch Quests, Shotgun Mode and Neptune's Trident. Most issues with those are either fixed or almost fixed.
So I am not aware of any major bugs with newly included features. There were some when initially introduced, but I think we tackled them as soon as they were found.

The above being said, we also caught and fixed a LOT of issues while doing the new stuff too. Some of the new stuff even led us to find more bugs to fix.

By the way, if you DO note any issues with new (or old) features that we DON'T want in the public release, please let us know!
Can't fix them if we don't know about them. :facepalm

So the planning now is:

Release a new installer today. This installer will be almost the final version, it might miss 1 or 2 things which will be added tomorrow (monday).
After that we will have the next week for play testing. No new things will be added anymore, only bugs which are encountered will be fixed. Then Friday or Saturday (depending on when @Pieter Boelen has time) we will release the final version as 3.4
Some things which still need to be done before then:
- Write a news article for this site
- Write an article for moddb
- Make screenshots with the new functions etc
- Write a tutorial for the quest to gain the long rifle and telescope (for the wiki)
- Write a tutorial for the smuggling quest (for the wiki)
- Check the changelog to see no things are mentioned double and its organised and proper credit is given
- Check if we can add a checksum checker in the installer
- Update the PDF files (manuals etc) included in the mod (where possible)
- Have fun with the new version

If you want to help with any of the things please let it know here. If you need any information just ask! And if I forgot aything let me know also.

Release must be on Thursday or Sunday evening because I'll be away from my computer for the weekend again.

- Write a news article for this site
- Write an article for moddb
Those are always a copy of each other. I usually write them while the installer is uploading.

- Check the changelog to see no things are mentioned double and its organised and proper credit is given
I just finished some cleaning up of "Build Info.txt" and put the largest features under "Beta 3.4" so we have a bit of a list to work from.

- Check if we can add a checksum checker in the installer
Will look into that over the coming week. Would be good to include for sure. :yes

@Thagarr?

I'm not sure when I will get the chance to begin work on the new manual, or update the existing History and Tutorials manual. I will see if I can get to the tutorials manual sometime today, if not it won't be till next weekend at the earliest.

The new manual will probably have to wait till my next vacation, and maybe even longer if I decide to take a trip to the east coast. I may get some time to start it before then though, but it certainly won't be finished before then.

We'll have to do with the current version then. At least it is newer than the Beta 3.2 one. :cheeky

Release must be on Thursday or Sunday evening because I'll be away from my computer for the weekend again.
So shall we say sunday so we have enough time to test?
Those are always a copy of each other. I usually write them while the installer is uploading.
I mean also an article on moddb announcing the new things etc. But if you want to write it while it complining and uploading thats fine :).
I just finished some cleaning up of "Build Info.txt" and put the largest features under "Beta 3.4" so we have a bit of a list to work from.
I will take a look at the list in the topic of the RC candidate tomorrow and change it where I feel it needs to be changed

If you want to clean up the feature list, you should do it directly in "Build Info.txt" instead. ;)

So shall we say sunday so we have enough time to test?
It'll be Sunday/Monday then.

I mean also an article on moddb announcing the new things etc. But if you want to write it while it complining and uploading thats fine :).
I meant an article like all the ones posted here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/news/
Are we talking about the same thing? :confused:

I wrote all of those. But it would help if the various modders involved would write something about their own work as well.
Bartolomeu already sent me some screenshots to use, so we're good there. And ANSEL has posted several good ones on the forum too.

I think @Levis made this change, you can't save on shipdecks anymore. Though I don't exactly know why.. probably because it could cause problems or something like that:shrug

Indeed I changed that because if you save on your ship's deck, then reload very often weird stuff will happen.

Actually, it would be OK if you went from port to your ship and then save there.
But if you were in 3D sailing mode and then go onto your ship's deck to save there, things get messed up when you go back into 3D sailing mode.
This is because Save At Sea is a mod-added feature that isn't quite perfect. It works only as long as you are actually in 3D sailing mode.

Ok. I sometimes go from port to my cabin to add stuff to the weapons locker and then save. I also save in 3d sailing mode after every battle.

So now I can only save in 3d sailing mode.

Back