• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

Yes it takes time to load and unload ships. Sometimes a day. Repairing ships can take longer.

I ignore those log notes. This game is way better than it used to be but not every oddity has been fixed.

Is it normal that days passes after you buy things at a town store or repair you ships at a shipyard? For example: On April 16th i went to sell my leather and chocolate cargo at the "speinghaim" store in Oxbay, i also bought Food and Rum crates. Well right after i exit the conversation interface it is April 24th. I get a lot of identical logs notes that says "We've been out for 11 days" "there is enough foods for 134 days left:, "Crew morale is normal".
I agree, depending on the amount of goods being exchanged, it could really take a long time to load and unload. And realistically speaking, its not the only thing the crew will do. They tend to go to taverns to unwind also. And basing on the pictures, some goods are really quite huge which is really stressful for someone or some people to carry. Imagine 100 Food, 200 Rum, 50 medicines plus the cargo you have to sell for your crew to load and unload.
It is normal for ship repairs to take days, but buying or selling should not, right?
And how long will it take for someone interested who can afford, to buy something? Its like that.
Flipping up a car could take days/weeks/ or even months depending on the condition but selling it could only take minutes or even seconds.
PS: I also noticed that when sailing using world map the log notes do not match the calendar clock on the right side of the screen. The logs notes are kind of inaccurate when it comes to time. Sometimes it says "We've been out for 26 days" while only two days passed.
Well, that's strange. I also mostly ignore those log notes. But I think the game sometimes adds the number of days you've been on land when you go to see. :shrug

Okay I know the previous post was a little confusing. All I was trying to say was that by pressing the shift and right arrows keys while buying cargo goods, the original price of cargo goods decreases. Let say If 39 crates of sandals was worth $ 6340, the price of said 39 crates instantly decreases to $520, just like that.

Right arrow key only=$6340 (original price) for 39 crates.

Shift+Right arrow key= $539 ( bugged price) for 39 crates.

Last edited:
The "we've been out" log messages in Beta 3 depend on whether you are on Salary Mode or on Divide the Plunder.
On Salary, it should be the amount of days since you've last been in port. However, on Divide the Plunder it is the number of days since you last divided the loot.

Indeed time passes on purpose on cargo transfers in stores and ship repairs because that would take time in real life also.
We once wanted to change it so you can spend the time your own way while the work is being done with sea being "locked", but we never got around to that.

Few questions:
1) I am currently level 8. Is it normal that the street merchants have so much gold. Some of them have up to $ 9.000.000. The street merchants in the first town I visited at the beginning of the game had $8000 to $20000 at maximum. Back Then i was level 1. But i also thought that setting it to "not having too many good things at the beginning" prevented that inflation.

2) is the shotgun available in Hawkins storyline.

1) The more you use the street merchants the more goods and money they will have. The ones you do not visit will have less. Then there are other things that will change things like hurricanes, slave revolts, and pirates. Ask the bartender for news about those things.

2) The shotgun can be found in the Sea Hawk storyline as well as in others.

Few questions:
1) I am currently level 8. Is it normal that the street merchants have so much gold. Some of them have up to $ 9.000.000. The street merchants in the first town I visited at the beginning of the game had $8000 to $20000 at maximum. Back Then i was level 1. But i also thought that setting it to "not having too many good things at the beginning" prevented that inflation.
In my own experience, it depends on the game difficulty.

I don't think difficulty has anything to do anything with it. Mainly just random.

Town merchants (NOT the item traders) now use the town gold supply for item transactions so that you can actually sell them stuff.
But even they run out if you try selling them several treasures in one go. (Hylie, I'm looking at you! :whipa )

What? :nerbz I don't need the money and the rich colonies don't need the money, so I only sell treasure to the poor colonies a little bit at a time as they can afford it. :flower

I was referring to the time I was testing with a savegame of yours and I simply COULD NOT sell even half the treasure you had in a large town because you had TOO MUCH! :rofl

I am playing the Nathaniel Hawkin storyline, the governor of Jamaica asked me to sneak into french occupied town of speightem in Barbados.

I landed at the far beach. So it is 01:10 am in-game, i am hiding in the tall grass by a low hill ( i would not call it hiding) and facing the two guards standing by the gate outside of town. I successfully knocked out one guard with a cobblestone without alerting the second and then realized i have no stones left. I was like: Damn! this is cool. So, i loaded (not fast travel) a save game from where i was in the ship before landing on the far beach, i took 17 cobblestones from the ship chest and tried doing the same thing i did to the guards, only this time when i knockout one guard the other guard attack me. The weird thing is that if i load the savegame from the ship before landing and i take only one cobblestone then i can knockout one guard and the other will not be alerted. I tested these scenarios again and again and it seems like the game does not want me to use enjoy a little stealth.

I am playing the Nathaniel Hawkin storyline, the governor of Jamaica asked me to sneak into french occupied town of speightem in Barbados.

I landed at the far beach. So it is 01:10 am in-game, i am hiding in the tall grass by a low hill ( i would not call it hiding) and facing the two guards standing by the gate outside of town. I successfully knocked out one guard with a cobblestone without alerting the second and then realized i have no stones left. I was like: Damn! this is cool. So, i loaded (not fast travel) a save game from where i was in the ship before landing on the far beach, i took 17 cobblestones from the ship chest and tried doing the same thing i did to the guards, only this time when i knockout one guard the other guard attack me. The weird thing is that if i load the savegame from the ship before landing and i take only one cobblestone then i can knockout one guard and the other will not be alerted. I tested these scenarios again and again and it seems like the game does not want me to use enjoy a little stealth.

Let's just say, the game wasn't made for stealth, you can avoid that fight (if "lucky") via their conversation, so, knock one guy, talk to the other one,walk peacefully away or kill or make a big circle (watch out, he has a big gun) and enter the town.

There is a problem there of one gets to that point in the story too soon. When one gets there too soon the guards can easily kill you. If your leadership is too low you can not talk them into letting you by. Methinks a leadership of level 4 is needed.

Stealth and treachery often work. The poisoned throwing knife works well as well as the stinkpot as they slowly poison whomever they hit. Even if a guard comes after you all you have to do is stay away from him till he dies.

The cobblestone and ether bottle can usually knock them out and then you can kill them and take their weapons. But the guards are randomly strong or weak. One time they both fall and the next time they both come after you.

If they are too tough just leave and come back when you are better.

On Apprentice Difficulty level (as default for Nathaniel Hawk) the guards are now just as weak as they always were.
The stronger guards only happen on higher difficulty levels.

I always forget to ask. Some non-quest items cannot be sold right? Items such as cobblestones, and some weird looking chests and bottles.

Back