• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14 Beta 4 Master Plan

Despite some appearances to the contrary through my opinions on recent changes I basically agree with @Talisman that you should try and keep all new content that appears stable within beta 4. I would guess that it's likely to be unforseen effects from optimisation (or possibly collision detection) that sent things wild for a while but it's really only you being familiar with the code and what changed that can judge what is and what is not suspect (and indeed what you have currently omitted).

There is no need to throw away all the quest merging and checking out subquest storylines, false flag detection etc by going too far back. It's only about a month ago you were looking at a possible public release but after that a lot got added in/moved around.

I don't know when you fixed the sea performance issue you found but that seems to be an essential.

Everything else (once stable) needs the wider audience for appreciation, bug finding and suggestions

I don't know when you fixed the sea performance issue you found but that seems to be an essential.
That was a few weeks ago. The changes for that are also relatively grouped together and not actually that much code was changed for it.
The only exception is a "mass search-and-replace" action that went with it. But if that had gone wrong, we'd have very clear error.log files indicating that.
So I think that change is a pretty safe one. :yes

At the moment, I think my main concern are the "massive weirdness" problems we've been having: sudden CTDs and "cannot save".
I may have fixed those with yesterday's EXE though, so am looking for confirmation on that as soon as possible.

At the moment, I think my main concern are the "massive weirdness" problems we've been having: sudden CTDs and "cannot save".
I may have fixed those with yesterday's EXE though, so am looking for confirmation on that as soon as possible.

Yep I can understand that - so I'll put aside anything other game related stuff (embryonic development of my own or debating specific game aspects) and actually try playing a bit of 22 Oct version. As I said before even I can recognise a CTD or fail to save - even if I don't know the plot line.

I can say that I have been getting the occasional "bad save" lately. Maybe 1 of 25 or so. I noticed nothing odd in the logs tho.

Well, I think (read: hope) the version I just posted is about as good as it's going to get this weekend.
As far as I can tell, I got rid of all recent code that was causing brand new bugs.
So from my own side, I will be focusing on finishing my own To-Do List again and let you guys do your testing in peace! :cheeky

@Talisman does have a point though: We DO need feedback on all the various new features.
And the Build Mod Bug Tracker | PiratesAhoy! has been cluttering up as well, making it hard for testers to know what we still need to hear about.
Therefore I have now created a brand new subforum: Build Testing List | PiratesAhoy!

This forum contains all NEW features. The ones that are marked as "Included in Build" are in their final state as far as I'm concerned.
The other ones, we can really use some feedback on before we mark them like that as well.

So please go through them and comment on all of them.
Let us know what you think still needs to be improved on, but of course positive feedback on these new features would be appreciated as well.

Here is my latest intention for getting things ready for public release:
- Sort out Medium Priority - Different Shipyard Sale Prices for Naval Officers/Privateers | Page 6 | PiratesAhoy! next week
- Provide quick and dirty solution for Naval officers who lose their ship in a storm
- Ensure all known sidequest issues are fixed
- If necessary, try to make some simple fixes to Smuggling
- Hopefully @Levis will have found time to fix Leveling by then; if not, I'll have to revert that to Beta 3 state

Does that sound about right?

In the meantime, please continue testing! Post all feedback you might have on the forum so we can still try to do something about it.
If I'm forgetting anything, be sure to remind me.

From my side, I'm hoping to have a version ready for release within a maximum of one month.

Last edited:
And of course, if anyone (@pedrwyth?) feels like taking any of the above off my hands, you'll be more than welcome to! :cheers

One thing that really needs to be fixed is that crazy grass moments. I have been
looking at the coas grass movment, and it moves very smooth and slowly, just as
we want it to. So maybe a solution is hiding in the coas files, but I dont know where
to look. Some hints will appreciated.

Last edited:
And of course, if anyone (@pedrwyth?) feels like taking any of the above off my hands, you'll be more than welcome to! :cheers
Well I'm currently looking at Clair(e) Larrousse and have a couple of elements under scrutiny for that.

I have also still the smuggling behaviour to revisit (which didn't look quite as bad as I first thought last time) it's possible that with @Talisman 's additional dialogue (perhaps toned down to the first two occurrences) the only requirement for release - for more players comments - will be to add a chance element to the coastguard ships out of the safe period(s) - but I expect to investigate not alter any programming - I have however changed the maximum ship type they use in internal settings for my own benefit

@ANSEL: The CoAS grass is used only as an experiment in Kralendijk; everywhere else is back to normal.
It should be no worse than it was in earlier updates.

It should be possible to limit the wind speed ashore, but there are some complexities to be figured out for that one and I'm inclined to not prioritise that for Beta 4.

If you can find such a file, I'll be most obliged.
I'd be surprised if there is one though. :shrug

The choice in CoAS of which option of grass detail (from 4 levels) you want just seems to be fed into the game engine - so no joy there.

However there is this SHA file, which doesn't exist in POTC, I have no idea what it does There is mention of wind direction and lines labeled mov (amongst others). It sits in modules\techniques\effects - the other files in there match their PoTC equivalents contents - but I don't how they are used/called.

Attachments

• GrassEx.7z
    839 bytes · Views: 162
From the engine probably.
Which means that if PotC doesn't have it, it is probably a Storm 2.8 thing so PotC isn't going to get it that way either.

From my side, I'm hoping to have a version ready for release within a maximum of one month.

I think aiming for a public release at the end of November/beginning of December is a good choice. :onya

It will enable people to play it over the Christmas/ New Year Holiday and in January we can look at the Feedback that has been provided. :yes

:drunk

With everything that has been done lately, the Build Testing List | PiratesAhoy! is getting bigger and bigger.
That means we will really need to know soon which items are actually properly sorted out now and which ones need more work.

So a request to all players and testers: Look through that forum and comment on EVERY one that you possibly can!!!
Any that aren't marked as "Included in Build" still require feedback.
This is very important, because "fixing" is one thing; but we also need to know if things are actually OK now! :cheers

I'm hoping to fix the smuggling and leveling stuff this week in between stuff. Else after november 15th I have more time again. But I will try to have some fixes for them this week so they can be tested.

That'll definitely be very welcome! Those are definitely the most pressing loose ends to be tied up now.

The officer tutorial can be added after the 15th.
And hopefully I'll find the chance soon to address the ship less navy officers and check on some remaining quest issues.

Back