• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Corvette V.2

"That's probably more reasonable, but is it enough?
Looking at the national stat multipliers, the Spanish navy version would get 1.15 times the regular 1500 tonnes, which is 1725 tonnes. In that case, why choose the merchant version at all?
How about 1900 tonnes or so?"

Why choose the merchantman? Smaller crew = more cargo not only in weight but volume.
How about reducing the cannons to 6 pounders? Those are far far lighter than 9s or 12s and the Carrack can put up a good fight at close quarters with them.

It has been a while since I last worked on the PO_FastNavy and I was never happy with her rigging, but couldn't think of anything better at the time.

Ok, what am I doing wrong? I put corvette1, corvette2, and fastmerchantman1 in my game. The common.ini is in place and the shipsinit.c has been updated. The old folders were renamed and the new one added.
I just bought a Spanish light frigate which is listed as Aurora class. Went out to the port and it still shows the old ship! This should not be possible since the old folders have been renamed. I repainted it and it still shows the old ships. :shrug

I do like the skin, I was just confused by the ship's role. The problem is that the new model is technically too modern for that time period.
I guess the new hull would actually be more suitable, having less of a Napoleonic shape than the old one, but the new masts won't fit the rigging, so we'd need to keep the old masts.
So be it. :shrug

Ok, what am I doing wrong? I put corvette1, corvette2, and fastmerchantman1 in my game. The common.ini is in place and the shipsinit.c has been updated. The old folders were renamed and the new one added.
I just bought a Spanish light frigate which is listed as Aurora class. Went out to the port and it still shows the old ship! This should not be possible since the old folders have been renamed. I repainted it and it still shows the old ships. :shrug
There are still some ships using the old model. Which skin is that?

My bad. :oops: The Spanish still use the old model. Who does use corvette 1 & 2? The pirates don't.

I just got the new fastmerchantman but have not sailed her yet.

Corvette1: France and Spain
Corvette2: All nations, except France, Portugal and USA - Pirate does use it, but lower chance

Just to make sure, you didn't start a new game, right? Did you reinitialize (F11)?

Why choose the merchantman? Smaller crew = more cargo not only in weight but volume.
How about reducing the cannons to 6 pounders? Those are far far lighter than 9s or 12s and the Carrack can put up a good fight at close quarters with them.

In gameplay terms, the crew size has no direct effect on cargo capacity, so I don't understand your first point. :shrug
If you're suggesting we reduce the max calibre to balance out an increase in cargo capacity to 1900 tonnes, I guess that makes sense.

Corvette1: France and Spain
Corvette2: All nations, except France, Portugal and USA - Pirate does use it, but lower chance

I just realised we should probably change Corvette2 to allow the Portuguese to use it, and not the Spanish. At present, Spain gets all three new versions, and Portugal gets none. :oops:

I just realised we should probably change Corvette2 to allow the Portuguese to use it, and not the Spanish. At present, Spain gets all three new versions, and Portugal gets none. :oops:
Poor Portugal always gets left out. :(
Perhaps when you're done, you can double-check all Corvette ships_init.c entries and post your copy of ships_init.c here?

Was thinking... Would there anything to be said for leading the PO_FastNavy as-is? She's already based on Corvette 2.0 .
If we'd not upgrade her to 3.0, that would make her just a bit different from the other Corvettes?
And she'd still have more detail than the NL_Amsterdam. Just trying to think of ways to save you some work... :wp

Just finished cleaning up the Corvettes as per Armada's latest update. So what were we going to do with the pirate versions again?
Looks like the CrimsonBlood is only very superficially different from the PiratCorvette50.
Perhaps we can keep the PiratCorvette (black) and I think Armada was going to rework the CrimsonBlood into something more unique?
Then we could drop the PiratCorvette50. Though I do like that ship having red handrails on the deck; would be nice for the CrimsonBlood, I think?

Poor Portugal always gets left out. :(
I know, right? I wish I knew more about the 17th/18th century Portuguese Navy. :facepalm

Perhaps when you're done, you can double-check all Corvette ships_init.c entries and post your copy of ships_init.c here?

Can do.

Was thinking... Would there anything to be said for leading the PO_FastNavy as-is? She's already based on Corvette 2.0 .
If we'd not upgrade her to 3.0, that would make her just a bit different from the other Corvettes?
And she'd still have more detail than the NL_Amsterdam. Just trying to think of ways to save you some work... :wp

LOL. What next, "Rossiya doesn't need an upgrade and Bellona is fine as-is; upgrade the Amsterdam already! Please!" :razz

Seriously though, I could leave PO_FastNavy as-is if you prefer. Normally I'd expect the whole "quest ships should always be highest-quality" rule to kick in, but I'm not too fussed about this ship either way.

Just finished cleaning up the Corvettes as per Armada's latest update. So what were we going to do with the pirate versions again?
Looks like the CrimsonBlood is only very superficially different from the PiratCorvette50.
Perhaps we can keep the PiratCorvette (black) and I think Armada was going to rework the CrimsonBlood into something more unique?
Then we could drop the PiratCorvette50. Though I do like that ship having red handrails on the deck; would be nice for the CrimsonBlood, I think?

I'll rework the CrimsonBlood texture and then see where that leaves the other two. Chances are the black one won't look too bland when ported to the V3.0 hull, so we might end up dropping PiratCorvette50 as you suggested.

LOL. What next, "Rossiya doesn't need an upgrade and Bellona is fine as-is; upgrade the Amsterdam already! Please!" :razz

Seriously though, I could leave PO_FastNavy as-is if you prefer. Normally I'd expect the whole "quest ships should always be highest-quality" rule to kick in, but I'm not too fussed about this ship either way.
I was thinking more of the effort required to get her different rigging to behave on the new hull.
I don't care either way; it's up to you. Just a random thought I had. :shrug

In gameplay terms, the crew size has no direct effect on cargo capacity, so I don't understand your first point. :shrug
If you're suggesting we reduce the max calibre to balance out an increase in cargo capacity to 1900 tonnes, I guess that makes sense.

Less crew = less food and rum = more cargo.

Smaller cannons = less gunpowder = more cargo.

I was thinking more of the effort required to get her different rigging to behave on the new hull.
I don't care either way; it's up to you. Just a random thought I had. :shrug

I know what you meant; I was just messing with you. :p
For the rigging to work, the hull locators would need to be changed, that's all.
Though it's worth mentioning that the mizzenmast is positioned further back on PO_FastNavy, so unless I change the V3.0 path model again, you'd be able to walk through it.

Less crew = less food and rum = more cargo.

Smaller cannons = less gunpowder = more cargo.

Oohhhh. I didn't think of that.
I don't play the game enough any more. :oops:

Though it's worth mentioning that the mizzenmast is positioned further back on PO_FastNavy, so unless I change the V3.0 path model again, you'd be able to walk through it.
That'd be a bit... odd... :confused:

I've finished the other merchantman texture now:
FM2_new1.png
Very few changes from the original this time; just the stern window arrangement, really. I adjusted the flower and diamond pattern to stand out a bit more, with the former made to use shades of white and gold.
It continues the same theme as the first merchantman, with a fairly modest paint scheme and some visible weathering effects here and there.
The reason the bow isn't shown is because it's pretty much the same as Corvette2.

Hylie: Before I release this version, could you please clarify all the relevant stats you think the FastMerchantman models should have?
Here's a summary of the main ones based on the stats I released for FM1:
  • Max calibre: 9lbs
  • Weight: 600
  • Capacity: 2250
  • Cannons quantity: 26
  • Max/Min crew: 150/30
  • Price: 57,600
  • HP: 2500
  • Max speed/Turn rate: 11.5/70

I am so looking forward to sailing this new Daisy May. :love

For the stats it looks like you added 12-9lb. cannons and crew without deducting for the added weight. I would deduct 50 tons for that since I like round numbers. That would make her a stout 6th rate frigate with a large cargo capacity. Compare her to the Postillionen with 20-12s. Or the Greyhound with 22-9s.

The price looks odd. I will have to go play the game to see, but my memory tells me those things cost in the $120,000 to $130,000 range.

A capacity of 2200 tonnes sounds good to me. I'm also thinking a slight HP deduction is in order, given that the wear and tear the ship will have sustained in the navy. How about 100 less HP?

For pricing, the navy versions cost 145,200 doubloons, but the merchant versions do seem too cheap in comparison.
Based on the (slightly wobbly) trends in the Ship Mod Excel file, I reckon something like 85,000 to 90,000 seems better, but take a look for yourself and see what you think.

Back