• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Curses! Apothecary Mod and Easter Eggs

So if you DO sell the coins, you'll have a really hard time getting 882 again to put back in that chest.
But that's sort-of what happened to Barbossa too, isn't it? :rofl
Sounds fun! I'd love to test that (not because I'm willing to create havoc of course, it's just... erm... *cough* nevermind. :wp)

- How bad should the curse effect be if you have only one coin? Should it be increasingly bad, including crew morale?
Or should we make keeping a single coin to be not too bad at all and basically just turn you into a skeleton at night?
- If we make a single coin be NOT that bad, it is easy to go and sell ALL the coins on Isla de Muerte and keep only one. On the other hand, that does mean you don't get the bonus of extra-strong crew at night and no food/rum consumption.
Good question. Considering people's superstition back in the days, it may frighten your crew to death and some of them could leave your ship; but on the other hand some of them might think, that an undead captain is nearly invincible. Not sure, if it's way too complicated.

Will it be possible to NOT take a cursed coin, thereby not getting cursed in the first place?
Nope. But if you find a cursed coin at random, it'll just be you getting cursed which isn't so bad.
And you can then go to Isla de Muerte, put it in the chest and be done with it. So then it is just a little Easter Egg, rather than something all-out evil.

ok can you say how rare they are? Sounds good so far ;)
I was testing the item rarity when I set up the new code for loot on random bandits, so I just generated random item after random item.
I must've executed that code a hundred times and only saw a cursed coin once. So they're VERY rare.

Good question. Considering people's superstition back in the days, it may frighten your crew to death and some of them could leave your ship; but on the other hand some of them might think, that an undead captain is nearly invincible. Not sure, if it's way too complicated.
I've had a brilliant idea. Any coins you sell add to a counter so that they DO still count to the extent of the curse.
So basically, the more coins you take from Isla de Muerte, the worse the effect becomes. So it really DOES become a curse against greed.
Which it always was intended to be in the first place! :cheeky

Also, I'll be trying to figure out how to reduce crew damage at night time during sea battles to give an additional advantage.

Nice. <3
But I'm curious now, does it affect your business with merchants during daytime as well, or are you "safe" then? And what happens, when you wake up in a brothel in the middle of the night? It happens sometimes. *nods* (Being trounced by a mob of rabid women without any warning sure is a scary thought.)

No difference during daytime. And when you're in a tavern or brothel at night, you'll be inside. So no problem still.

Right now I'm trying to set up the calculations for reduced crew losses if you have lots of cursed coins.
Unfortunately that code is ever-so-slightly complex, especially if you have a fleet.
We'll get there. :facepalm

why affecting the ship ? its not necessary, much is already done !

if you just want to affect your crew loss why not just making like +2 defense skill ? (if you give to a captain he will get the bonus and curse too)

its far more simple :p

if you are already to 10, your crew loss are already too few, no need for bonus :)

Got the code for that working already. At night time, all crewmembers you have cursed coins for will reduce the crew losses for your ships.
If, after your own ship, there are still cursed coins left for your companions, they'll be counted for them too.

Does that make any sense to do that automatically? Or should I see if it I can make it calculate with the weaponslocker values for the various ships?
But then... do companion weapon lockers even work??? I know crew doesn't take weapons from them, but do the items in there stick around at all?

I'll give it a try. Would make sense to use that instead.
And I've thought of a simpler and better way to handle the whole thing. Slightly more evil too. :wp

New updates:
- Amount of cursed coins affecting you are calculated as being 882 minus what is in the chest on Isla de Muerta (by default 881)
So you can only be cursed up to 1 coin by finding one, but more than that do not count.
- Night-time crew immortality depends on the cursed coins in the weaponslocker of the appropriate ship.
While WEAPONS on companion ships aren't ever used, cursed coins ARE taken into account for their crew damage.
- If characters die, you LOSE their coins. But they still COUNT. So that'll make it harder to break the curse.
- Once there are 882 coins in the chest, there will be NO more curse effects, even if you found additional coins.
For some storylines where we don't WANT curse-effects, the chest starts out with 882 coins from the start.

Still working on:
- The sails becoming torn. It works, but it needs to select the CORRECT sails now based on your ship's previous sails.

Haven't released it yet; still working on finishing it. It will be soon though.

This is now included in Beta 3 WIP 9: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686
Both the Dead Albatross and Cursed Coins, as well as the Apothecary link should be working properly now.
Let me know how you like it and if there's anything that isn't working right or could use further improving.

These are the notes on the working of this modification:
Code:
  . Dead Albatross bad luck enforced by Pieter Boelen
    > You cannot get rid of it, except in ONE way. Try to figure it out!
  . Elaborate Curse of Cortez functionality added for Aztec Coins by Pieter Boelen
    > The chest in the cave on Isla de Muerta is filled with Aztec Coins
    > Aztec Coins turn you into a skeleton when outside at night, that is hated by all
      You get additional HP for this, but only WHILE you are a skeleton
    > Aztec Coins can be given to officers/crew or placed in all your ships' weaponslockers
      If placed in the Weaponslocker, they are used by boarders and decrease crew damage during sea battles
    > Food and Rum consumption decreases for each crewmember cursed, but morale decreases too
    > Aztec Coins can be sold; however, they WILL keep counting for the extent of the curse
    > After a while of being cursed, your ship will get torn sails and start trailing fog
    > The curse can only be lifted by placing 882 coins back in the chest on Isla de Muerta
      Careful with losing those coins! If you can't collect 882 again, you're stuck with the curse!
      There is ONE place other than the chest on Isla de Muerte where ONE additional coin can be found if you are in dire need of it. Guess where!

By the way, if there are players who really DON'T like the idea of turning into a skeleton after finding a Cursed Coin, that can easily be disabled.
Open PROGRAM\Storyline\[Storyline].c and find the AddStorylineVar line for ISLA_DE_MUERTE at the bottom.
Set that to:
1: To have Isla de Muerta available through Mr. Gibbs and a single Cursed Coin found to turn you into a skeleton at night
0: Isla de Muerta can be visited through Mr. Gibbs, but you only get cursed if you take a coin out of the chest in the cave, NOT when finding a random one
-1: Mr. Gibbs is missing and Isla de Muerta cannot be accessed. No curse either. Eg.: FULL realism mode.

I wonder if the lifting of the curse works properly. There is no code in place to reset anything. So that would mean that:
- Your sails do NOT automatically change back into un-cursed ones. But you CAN do this yourself in F2>Ship>Choose Sails
- If you get re-cursed, the torn sails and fog counter did NOT reset, so you'll be back to fully cursed mode straight away
^ Do we mind the above? Or is it fine to keep it like that?

Also, companions that DON'T have special sails follow the player's cursed sails.
This looked rather odd when I got cursed sails on my Empress and my companion HMS Dauntless got red torn cursed sails too.
I still have to adjust that code so that it'll use the characters' own cursed sails. Which in this case for the Dauntless should be white torn sails.

It doesn't matter right now if your companion captains carry a cursed coin. If you have one, the curse will transfer to them too.
I am changing that so that if the captain doesn't have a cursed coin, the torn sails and fog trail also will ever occur.
That'll be closer to simulating that each character is cursed on his (her?) own instead of it being a "community thing". :facepalm

No problems with selling the coins or all that skeleton stuff seen so far; works good (at least for me). I haven't tested the Albatross yet, but I will do this tonight.
Although I wonder if it's normal, that my crew refuses to eat anything, after I sold 880 coins to a merchant (must be some subtle act of protest against my greed).

About un-cursing, personally I don't mind the torn sails after that, but the fog trail stays as well. Also, if you place the coins back at night-time, you have to change your outfit manually, otherwise you stay a skeleton (low priority, though, it's not that much a problem).

Although I wonder if it's normal, that my crew refuses to eat anything, after I sold 880 coins to a merchant (must be some subtle act of protest against my greed).
Perfectly normal. Your crew's curse depends on the amount of coins NOT in the chest on Isla de Muerta.
If you sold 880 coins, then they aren't in the chest, so your crew remains cursed.
But because the coins aren't in the weaponslocker, they don't get the extra strength at night.

About un-cursing, personally I don't mind the torn sails after that, but the fog trail stays as well.
I have just finished rewriting both, but haven't tested it yet.

Also, if you place the coins back at night-time, you have to change your outfit manually, otherwise you stay a skeleton (low priority, though, it's not that much a problem).
Really? That's a bit odd; I thought I tested that AGES ago and it worked properly.
Have to check...

Cursed Coins mod further updated as per: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/page-6#post-455037
That should sort out the cursed sails and getting uncursed. Also, companion captains' ships ONLY get cursed if you give them a cursed coin.

So basically:
- Character curse effect are triggered by carrying a cursed coin
- Crew cursed in battles and boardings is triggered by placing cursed coins in the Weaponslocker of their ship
- Ship curse effects are triggered by the CAPTAIN carrying a cursed coin
- Daily curse effects (morale and food consumption) is triggered by the number of coins NOT in the chest at Isla de Muerta

Does that make any sense?

Whaha, this is hilarious! When I get on my ship's deck at night, my companion captains try to kill me because I'm cursed! :rofl
Not intentional though; just fixed it. :wp

Back