• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Curses! Apothecary Mod and Easter Eggs

Truly a sight to behold! :rofl

Attachments

• CursedFleet.jpg
    CursedFleet.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 103
Alright, I tried to get rid of this dead bird. Not sure anymore what I've tried in total, but after some attempts to give it to my officers or crew members, lock it into my weaponslocker or gunpowder storage (unfortunately you can't use it as a cannon ball), I went to the jungle. Some guy tried to backstab me there, so I killed him, placed the albatross onto his corpse, tossed all my cursed coins at him and left afterwards.
That will teach him! :whipa

Pesky bird sticked.

I boarded some ships then and tried to get rid of this albatross in any way possible, then left immediately to sink the ship at last.
Sticked.

DAMMIT!

In the end I thought about capsizing my own ship, but... being washed ashore with no ship but a sticking dead albatross on your neck was way to horrifying to think this further. So I just did the right thing.
For the record, the bird disappears then, so this seems to work pretty well.

About the curse, there seems to be some slight glitch. You are able to override that skeleton effect if you change your outfit before anyone sees you. In that case, you are able to walk around in towns at night without being noticed as an undead as long as you're outside (you're able to talk to the soldiers and so on). It resets, though, if you enter a tavern (*cough* or something else *cough*) and then go back outside, so it's not really broken.

LOL. Cursed sails do NOT work well on the Empress. o_O

I thought it was an interesting look for her. If people disagree, I'm going to have to change the code so that she keeps her own sails when cursed.

Alright, I tried to get rid of this dead bird. Not sure anymore what I've tried in total, but after some attempts to give it to my officers or crew members, lock it into my weaponslocker or gunpowder storage (unfortunately you can't use it as a cannon ball), I went to the jungle. Some guy tried to backstab me there, so I killed him, placed the albatross onto his corpse, tossed all my cursed coins at him and left afterwards.
The cursed coins sticked too, right? :shock

In the end I thought about capsizing my own ship, but... being washed ashore with no ship but a sticking dead albatross on your neck was way to horrifying to think this further. So I just did the right thing.
So you're telling me you REALLY can't get rid of it EXCEPT in the method you are intended to? Niiiice! :cheeky
Now THAT is a proper curse for ya!

About the curse, there seems to be some slight glitch. You are able to override that skeleton effect if you change your outfit before anyone sees you. In that case, you are able to walk around in towns at night without being noticed as an undead as long as you're outside (you're able to talk to the soldiers and so on). It resets, though, if you enter a tavern (*cough* or something else *cough*) and then go back outside, so it's not really broken.
That's perfectly true and caused by the way I wrote that code. It just swaps models whenever you go outside at night.
Of course I could put a lock on the "Change Outfit" button as well. :wp

I thought it was an interesting look for her. If people disagree, I'm going to have to change the code so that she keeps her own sails when cursed.
It would be fine if the sails were hanging down, instead of up, because of the silly torn sail textures.
What we really need to do sometime is fix the torn sails so they at least have parts in all four corners. You've got to admit it looks weird even on other ships when you see ropes hanging in mid air. :facepalm

Pesky bird sticked.

I boarded some ships then and tried to get rid of this albatross in any way possible, then left immediately to sink the ship at last.
Sticked.

DAMMIT!

i was trying a great part of this :8q but you were faster :p

i bet that shouldn't be changed to let player wearing the ouftit he wants (to hold liberty), entering in building and getting out "fixes" it anyway, so if the player want to roleplay back the "full" curse he just have to enter a building

im thinking it is a "choice of customization" for the player (even at night) and "hardcoding" the night outfit aspect of the curse to force to be skeleton can make some people bored (even some who want to be cursed)

for example in roleplay its like "you wear some clothes to hide your real skeleton look" , and as i already shown, elisabeth swan is not into a skeleton when she steal the coin (because she has NOT pirate blood), and for example, my char doesnt have pirate blood

so it is the player choice to change his clothes even during the curse at night (and i would love to hold that way ;) for the logical aspect i have shown, "forcing" it will be contrary to the way of "liberty" of that awesome mod)

It would be fine if the sails were hanging down, instead of up, because of the silly torn sail textures.
What we really need to do sometime is fix the torn sails so they at least have parts in all four corners. You've got to admit it looks weird even on other ships when you see ropes hanging in mid air. :facepalm
Indeed that does look weird, but it never bothered me too much.

Anyway, right now I've got this code in place for the Empress:
Code:
if(HasSubStr(tempstring, "Empress"))            CursedSails = "sail_torn_red_plain.tga";    // Empress - Torn red sails
Replacing that with "sail_Empress.tga" will keep her own sails. Should we do that?

so it is the player choice to change his clothes even during the curse at night (and i would love to hold that way ;) for the logical aspect i have shown, "forcing" it will be contrary to the way of "liberty" of that awesome mod)
Well, if you ARE going to want to look different, you're going to be VERY annoyed that your outfit keeps changing right back.
Also, if you DON'T look like a skeleton, not everyone will kill you on sight, decreasing the severity of the curse.

as i already shown, elisabeth swan is not into a skeleton when she steal the coin
That much is true. Although having/not having pirate blood doesn't make a difference. It is the ACT of getting a coin from that chest on Isla de Muerta that causes the curse to kick in.
The reason for getting you cursed when you find a cursed coin anywhere is because it wouldn't be fun as an Easter Egg otherwise.
If you don't like being cursed, just visit Isla de Muerta, stick that coin in the chest and you're done. You can lift it in about five minutes.

Also, refer to this post of mine:
By the way, if there are players who really DON'T like the idea of turning into a skeleton after finding a Cursed Coin, that can easily be disabled.
Open PROGRAM\Storyline\[Storyline].c and find the AddStorylineVar line for ISLA_DE_MUERTE at the bottom.
Set that to:
1: To have Isla de Muerta available through Mr. Gibbs and a single Cursed Coin found to turn you into a skeleton at night
0: Isla de Muerta can be visited through Mr. Gibbs, but you only get cursed if you take a coin out of the chest in the cave, NOT when finding a random one
-1: Mr. Gibbs is missing and Isla de Muerta cannot be accessed. No curse either. Eg.: FULL realism mode.
Just change that value to "0" to make the curse REALLY work as in the films and you can only get cursed if you do so on purpose.

That would only ever happen on Realistic Game Mode. But anyway, turned out to be a quick solution. So now you really CAN'T change outfit when you're cursed to be a skeleton.
If you don't like it, break the curse! Or don't go out at night. That's a good time for raiding enemy ships, after all. ;)

Indeed that does look weird, but it never bothered me too much.

Anyway, right now I've got this code in place for the Empress:
Code:
if(HasSubStr(tempstring, "Empress"))            CursedSails = "sail_torn_red_plain.tga";    // Empress - Torn red sails
Replacing that with "sail_Empress.tga" will keep her own sails. Should we do that?

Depends what other people think. Personally, I'm unlikely to ever have a 'cursed' Empress, so it doesn't bother me so much.

The cursed coins sticked too, right? :shock
Yep, they sticked. That darn dead bird, reveals all of its tricks to everyone and everything else, just to pester me! :whipa

So you're telling me you REALLY can't get rid of it EXCEPT in the method you are intended to? Niiiice! :cheeky
Now THAT is a proper curse for ya!
Well, I wasn't shure if it's possible to be robbed when you're unconscious; or in other words, if you can lose that albatross just because some dimwit steals it from you while you're knocked out. After I lost some fights on purpose I didn't woke up in a tavern to assure myself, so I tried to get slapped unconscious by some girls in Tortuga instead. But again, just dead.
... And one time I was able to enter my ship while lying dead on the floor; odd (maybe I suffered a head injury after Annamaria slapped me to hell and it was nothing more than a hallucination; who knows).

I guess my experiment was pointless anyway. :shrug But that's the way how I test stuff.

for example in roleplay its like "you wear some clothes to hide your real skeleton look"
Yep, I'm a roleplayer as well, so of course I thought about that. But there needs to be a downside after all, otherwise it would be disappointing (at least in my humble opinion). And don't forget all those people who would complain about this, just because it's "not well written and therefore outrageous and stupid and whatnot" (in their opinion, not mine). Complaining seems to be a national sport nowadays.

That would only ever happen on Realistic Game Mode.
I guess it was also possible in Arcade Mode, because I tried to change the outfit on my ship before I went to port. The button was active, so I just wanted to see what happens; including people's reaction to my glorious skeleton-form.

If you don't like it, break the curse! Or don't go out at night. That's a good time for raiding enemy ships, after all. ;)
You're never going to get me to break this curse! I want to stay this way; makes me handsome. :rumgone

I think i've got an idea:
We can put a joke in the curse
A LogIt message that say somthing like this:
Code:
 LogIt ('Capitain, The crews morale going down
 because the crew cant see where they going with all that fog...');

Fun?

Well, I wasn't shure if it's possible to be robbed when you're unconscious
You do get robbed, but only of your equipped items. So you wouldn't lose the Albatross.

And don't forget all those people who would complain about this, just because it's "not well written and therefore outrageous and stupid and whatnot" (in their opinion, not mine). Complaining seems to be a national sport nowadays.
:razz

I guess it was also possible in Arcade Mode, because I tried to change the outfit on my ship before I went to port. The button was active, so I just wanted to see what happens; including people's reaction to my glorious skeleton-form.
Ah, yes. When there are no enemies around, of course. :facepalm
Anyway, won't be possible next time! :whipa

You're never going to get me to break this curse! I want to stay this way; makes me handsome. :rumgone
How is morale treating you? Is it suitably bad? When I tested, at best I got it up to 40 with maximum skills.
Signing Articles may help you out further though. I'd like to know how that goes in combination with the curse.

And does the crew immortality during sea battles work properly if you put the coins in the Weaponslocker?

I think i've got an idea:
We can put a joke in the curse
Whahaha! :rofl
Put that in on the worldmap update once you've been cursed for 60 days or something. That'll be our request from the crew to lift the curse. :cheeky

one question (havent tried yet but perhaps someone did this):

if you choose the skeleton ouftit, are you stuck on it ? or the coin is an obligation (it should but just to verify) ?

just to be sure it does not break the ouftit selection whgen we are even not cursed

You can do whatever you want with your outfit when inside or during daytime.
But at night you turn into a skeleton and there's nothing you can do about it other than to lift the curse.

How is morale treating you? Is it suitably bad? When I tested, at best I got it up to 40 with maximum skills.
Signing Articles may help you out further though. I'd like to know how that goes in combination with the curse.

And does the crew immortality during sea battles work properly if you put the coins in the Weaponslocker?

Couldn't test it yet, I had an extremely painful headache (my head feels still a bit numb, but it's okay now). I'll check it now, downloading WIP 10 at the moment.

Edit: Game patched, I'll be back soon.

Here are my results, some additional stuff included.

++++
Morale on different settings after 30 days
New game for each entry, crew morale started at "normal". No "raise moral" used in the crew menu and no boardings.
I cheated for this, to get 50.000 P.; aye, shame on me.

Crewmembers for this test: 300.

UNCURSED
Settings: Leadership 5, food rations normal, rum rations normal
Salary: 56
Salary + Iron Will: 71
Signing articles: 50
Signing articles + Iron Will: 72

Settings: Leadership 5, food rations half, rum rations normal
Salary: 42
Salary + Iron Will: 54
Signing articles: 38
Signing articles + Iron Will: 54

Settings: Leadership 5, food rations normal, rum rations doubled
Salary: 54
Salary + Iron Will: 82
Signing articles: 56
Signing articles + Iron Will: 70

Settings: Leadership 5, food rations half, rum rations doubled
Salary: 41
Salary + Iron Will: 61
Signing articles: 42
Signing articles + Iron Will: 61

Settings: Leadership 10, food rations normal, rum rations normal
Salary: 72
Salary + Iron Will: 89
Signing articles: 72
Signing articles + Iron Will: 98

Settings: Leadership 10, food rations half, rum rations normal
Salary: 54
Salary + Iron Will: 66
Signing articles: 54
Signing articles + Iron Will: 79

Settings: Leadership 10, food rations normal, rum rations doubled
Salary: 76
Salary + Iron Will: 98
Signing articles: 79
Signing articles + Iron Will: 98

Settings: Leadership 10, food rations half, rum rations doubled
Salary: 61
Salary + Iron Will: 75
Signing articles: 61
Signing articles + Iron Will: 86

CURSED (No fleet)
Was tested after plundering the chest on Isla de Muerta.

Settings: Leadership 5 (starting morale: 76)
Salary: 51
Salary + Iron Will: 66
Signing articles: 44 (decreasing)
Signing articles + Iron Will: 66 (decreasing)

Settings: Leadership 10
Starting morale on salary: 72
Starting Morale on articles: 94
Salary: 66
Salary + Iron Will: 80 (what...)
Signing articles: 62
Signing articles + Iron Will: 96 (...)

+++++
CREW IMMORTALITY DURING SEA BATTLES
Attacked the Fort of Port Royal with the cursed Black Pearl during night-time.

Max. crewmembers before attacking the fort: 300
After about 50 minutes: 266
After town capturing: 261 (no weapons or potions in the Weaponslocker)

+++++
USING POTIONS FROM THE WEAPONSLOCKER

Gave me 500 potions by console, to make sure everyone of my crew gets one. I'm despicable, I know.

Healing elixirs in Weaponslocker before boarding: 500
Afterwards: 495

++++
FLAGS
Tortuga likes pirates.
++++

That's all I can test for now. Attic flat + summer = no fun for a PC (it's a working machine, no gaming computer).

Back