• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Custom Quest Musket

Thansk for that, @Grey Roger! I figured something like that, but it is great to have the actual historical information to go with it. :onya

Well you can't even shoot with a musket on distances where a scope would actually make sense.. so I think we can just leave it to the perk description that you learned how to aim down the sights or something like that.. more accurate and makes sense, since making a simple iron sight for a gun isnt that hard..
Sounds about right to me. Simple! And simple solutions are often the best.

and I was questioning.. is it possible to change the crosshair? Maybe we could use an actual image of iron sights as crosshair?
There is probably a texture file that it calls somewhere. Have a look with the TX Converter through the Textures directory. Would indeed be nice to use something more realistic than very bright green crosshairs!

One day I'll make this one a quest gun.
Hey, that's cool! I wonder.... could that be used for the Quest Musket that I added instead of reusing the standard "musket" item like I did now?
That would ensure it makes more sense to always be used with First Person Shooting Mode.
Also it makes it more unique and interesting and therefore would no longer have to be a near carbon-copy of the regular musket.
Added bonus is that the code I added yesterday to skip the "musket on back" feature for the Quest Musket can be removed again, since this is NOT a musket anymore.

More unique and interesting with less code changes required than we have now? Sounds like a win-win situation to me! :wp

The thing is with this VCO musket that the telescope can be removed so we can have before and after cases.
Should the new special musket work like muskets did earlier, only hip mode? If so everytyhing gets easier with an unique model.

Should the new special musket work like muskets did earlier, only hip mode? If so everytyhing gets easier with an unique model.
Since it is intended for a single quest scene only, indeed I see no point in spending time and effort to adapt the back-switching of the regular muskets to this one.

Before and after case would admittedly be cool, though, and is something that could theoretically be worked into the quest too
where somewhere along the line you have to get the weapon and search for the scope later on.
But in the end, that is up to @Bartolomeu o Portugues and is something that can always be added at a later date.

So only hip mode based on the unique model with gun sight should be good enough for now, I reckon.

There is probably a texture file that it calls somewhere. Have a look with the TX Converter through the Textures directory. Would indeed be nice to use something more realistic than very bright green crosshairs!

I found some strange red and blue crosshairs.. but not this green one.. can I maybe look up a reference to that texture somewhere?

I am not near my game right now and won't be until relatively late this evening. So for now, I do not know.
It must be there somewhere. My first reaction would be to check the RESOURCE\BATTLE_INTERFACE folder.

I make 2 models anyway no big deal. The a little too big, so I have to downsize it. The caliber looks already
small so I'm thinking of loading it with 2 pistolbullets instead. Ok? And another sound.

I make 2 models anyway no big deal. The a little too big, so I have to downsize it. The caliber looks already
small so I'm thinking of loading it with 2 pistolbullets instead. Ok? And another sound.
As far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever you feel is appropriate. :doff

I found some strange red and blue crosshairs.. but not this green one.. can I maybe look up a reference to that texture somewhere?
This one you mean?
RESOURCE\Textures\LocEfx\sghor.tga.tx

Ahh yes.. awesome thanks ;)

So.. how can I replace that? Does the new texture needs the same size as the old one?

I think it doesn't need to be the same size. If you make it larger, you probably increase the resolution as opposed to it displaying larger on the screen.
Try it and find out, I should say. :shrug

The Jack's musket is really good :woot and with a real crosshairs. That should be perfect :cheeky

The fight in San Felipe fort should be finished tomorrow if I have no big problems with the quest. I'm going to work on the sniper scene this afternoon. Let's see how the spanish soldiers behave with the shots from my new weapon.:rofl

Pieter and Bartolomeu, I'm not sure how things work. Doesn't it need a shottype?
Don't you have to use ammo for this special musket?

Well.. first attempt turned out quite well.. now I have to find out how I make the game clear, that I want something under those sights without let it be repositioned.. so a complete rifle barrel under those sights.. but if I do that now, the game will try to get that texture in the middle of the screen:facepalm seadogs2_0016.jpg

EDIT: Ok, I just tried.. the game even sizes the texture down to the standard size (16x16).. so we need some code-around here, if we want it perfect

I don't know what Bartolomeu has in mind, but I figured that you don't want the chance to run out of ammo as that might get you stuck in the quest.
Therefore I set it up as using no ammunition at all. Final decision can be made by you and @Bartolomeu o Portugues together, depending on what he needs.

now I have to find out how I make the game clear, that I want something under those sights without let it be repositioned.. so a complete rifle barrel under those sights.. but if I do that now, the game will try to get that texture in the middle of the screen:facepalm
Not sure if you can. Could very well be hardcoded that way in the game engine.
You may have to think of something that seems at least more realistic than the bright green while remaining only in that spot of the screen. :(

I honestly have no idea what I could use instead of just those iron sights or at least a better crosshair :/

Can't we tell the game to use a different texture for the shotgun mode? Maybe that could help us?

We need to tell the game to display the existing texture in a different way. I don't know if that is possible and I fear that it is not.

Back