• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Custom Quest Musket

So, no real crosshair. :unsure
What we can do: Replace the current bright green crosshairs with something that looks more realistic, but maintains the same size.
What we probably(!) can't do: Make use of more of the screen.

The main thing that springs to mind is to make use of the spyglass code somehow, because that DOES apply a single texture as overlay to the entire screen and would therefore be ideal.
But I do not know if the game engine will allow us to do that. The "shotgun mode" was never intended to be a main feature of the game and is largely hidden away in game engine files that we cannot edit.

Hm.. can we write our own 'shotgun-mode'? :O I thought about those spyglass-textures too^^

Dunno. Probably not. As far as I'm concerned, trying would hardly be worth the effort since there are so many other things we could be doing.

That's right.. hmm so.. do you like those iron sights, or should I do a few more more crosshair-like options?

Ok, I made 3 items: "long_rifle", "long_rifle_TS" and "telescope".
Cleaned up LAi_events, + additional sound here.
For the moment the 2 rifles are identical in function.
Can you take over from here Pieter and add the special stuff for "long_rifle_TS".

As an extra feature:
1 find/get the "long_rifle".
2 find/get the "telescope"
2 equipping the telescope (if you have got the "long_rifle") makes it the "long_rifle_TS".

Hope you like it. :guns:

Attachments

• JRH long rifle 7 jan 2015.7z
    353 KB · Views: 108
  • itemsBOP2.jpg
    itemsBOP2.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 120
Thanks Jack :doff.
I've just installed the last buildmod and Pieter's files. I'll ckeck your work this evening.

You can resize most addition to the screen so the crosshair should also be possible. Just need to find the right parameter for it.
Where is the shotgun mode controlled? which function calles it or was it mostly internal already?
Where is the crosshair added cause if I do tab normally it isn't there so it must have been added for this right?

We just can't it leave it only to bartholomeu storyline:no
For WoodesRogers I made Blackbeard's Belt and for the GoldBug a Revolver. These are powerful
and unique weapons but things like that are what makes quests worth playing.
In this case I think it's up to Bartolomeu as the weapon was made specially for his quest.

It was added in the vanilla game, like the shotgun-mode itself.. so I'm afraid Pieter's right.. we might not get there :/

Challenge accepted?
Only think I need to find out is how over overlay a texture over the normal view....seeing as the spyglass only does that it musn't be that hard if I can just replicate the effect of the spyglass.

argh .... I can change everything except this cause it seems to be hardcoded in the engine :(.

This one you mean?
RESOURCE\Textures\LocEfx\sghor.tga.tx
Looked through the code now, trying to find everything related to the Shotgun Mode as well as that texture file.
It seems that I was right, as much as I hoped not to be. There is EXTREMELY little code related to the Shotgun Mode in the PROGRAM folder.
It must be all hidden away in the game engine where we cannot change it. :facepalm

LocEfx\sghor.tga is referred to in MODULES\Location.dll but I doubt anyone can figure out how to change the display coordinates in a DLL file. :(

For WoodesRogers I made Blackbeard's Belt and for the GoldBug a Revolver. These are powerful
and unique weapons but things like that are what makes quests worth playing.
I agree :yes If the resources are everywhere. What's the motivation to play a quest o_O
Perhaps people end up liking them SO much that they wished they could make more use of them?
In the end, the main thing that makes a quest a quest is its story. And that remains no matter what.
Having thought a lot about quest writing in the context of Hearts of Oak, one of the things quests are good for is to "showcase everything that is available in the game".

But indeed there is definitely something to be said for keeping special stuff special. Up to the people who add it to the game.
If players truly want it outside the quests, they can always ask on the forum and console will sort them out quickly enough.
And who knows.... They might become more comfortable with coding in doing so and decide to join in on our fun! :cheers

Back