• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Custom Quest Musket

If players truly want it outside the quests, they can always ask on the forum and console will sort them out quickly enough.
And who knows.... They might become more comfortable with coding in doing so and decide to join in on our fun! :cheers
I think so.

As quest-writer, my motivation for doing quests is because we can add special stuff (and I think Jack has the same idea).
Of course, a quest must have a good story but for me it isn't enough.

Ok, I made 3 items: "long_rifle", "long_rifle_TS" and "telescope".
Cleaned up LAi_events, + additional sound here.
For the moment the 2 rifles are identical in function.
Can you take over from here Pieter and add the special stuff for "long_rifle_TS".
Thanks a lot! Made the last code adjustments now and it seems to be working quite nicely.

As an extra feature:
1 find/get the "long_rifle".
2 find/get the "telescope"
2 equipping the telescope (if you have got the "long_rifle") makes it the "long_rifle_TS".
That is epic, I say. EPIC!!!

Only thing I wonder about is if the scope could possible be removed from the rifle again so you can use it like a regular gun once more.
Whether that is necessary depends on how @Bartolomeu o Portugues intends to use it. But it definitely offers brilliant story potential! :onya

That's right.. hmm so.. do you like those iron sights, or should I do a few more more crosshair-like options?
It is for sure more realistic and much less immersion-breaking than what was there before.
So hey, why not? :cheers

The stupid "Quest Musket" item has been replaced with the brilliantly awesome Long Rifle with equippable Scope by @Jack Rackham now in the ZIP attached here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/simplified-build-14-beta-3-3-wip-code.23064

So that should be enough for @Bartolomeu o Portugues to work his quest around, I think?
Unless he indeed wants the scope to be de-equippable again.

Anyway, only things left to do here, I think, are:
- Add "Expert Marksman" perk
- Have this ability unlock the "shotgun mode" and "ability to kill" for ALL fire-arms
- Figure out a way for this perk to be unlockable

While more advanced things could be done in the future, the above should be fairly simple. Any chance of this, @Levis? :wp

sooo.. I made a few crosshair-options.. hope you like them.. some of them are not black enough yet, but that can be easily fixed ;) seadogs2_0016.jpg seadogs2_0020.jpg seadogs2_0023.jpg seadogs2_0026.jpg seadogs2_0033.jpg

The first one to me looks the most interesting because it doesn't look like the interface of something computer-based.
Something old-fashioned-looking seems to me much better than something that belongs in a jet fighter or as cursor in a Command & Conquer game.
But every single one of them is better than what there is now. :onya

well, for me, the 2nd one is the best.. it also implies an iron-sight but doesnt looks so huge and strange like the 'real' iron sight

BTW.. can we in any way do a headshot-damage-multiplicator? I don't want to make a fps game out of it, but I somehow like the idea^^

The second one is good as well. Definitely a lot less intrusive than the others. :yes

I sincerely doubt we can control the whole Shotgun Mode much, since ALL code for it is hidden in the game engine.
It seems the only thing we CAN do is to enable it and disable it when we want. Pretty much.

So something fancy like a headshot damage multiplier seems very unlikely.
If we did have that level of control, I'd fix the hilarity that ensues when you use a Pump Shotgun in Shotgun Mode without ammo! :rofl

sooo.. which one we prefer now? the 'real' iron sights or the HUD-iron sights?

EDIT: @Levis : Are you able to tell the game to use 2 different textures for the crosshair? Would be nice if I could add an extra crosshair for the rifle with the scope ;)

Last edited:
Only thing I wonder about is if the scope could possible be removed from the rifle again so you can use it like a regular gun once more.
Whether that is necessary depends on how @Bartolomeu o Portugues intends to use it. But it definitely offers brilliant story potential! :onya

It is for sure more realistic and much less immersion-breaking than what was there before.
So hey, why not? :cheers
For my quest, i just need the musket with the scope. So, no need to have a removable scope in my case.

sooo.. which one we prefer now? the 'real' iron sights or the HUD-iron sights?

EDIT: @Levis : Are you able to tell the game to use 2 different textures for the crosshair? Would be nice if I could add an extra crosshair for the rifle with the scope ;)

most of it is hard coded so dont think I can add a second one....

Too bad.. since the iron-sights crosshair doesnt actually make sense on a scoped rifle :/ Well.. okay we don't want to make a FPS-Game out of it, do we^^

How about a machine-gun, then? xD

Try to get hold of "The Linton Porcupine" by Ross Laidlaw. It's basically a 16th century James Bond story, about one Nicholas Wainwright who finds himself forced into the secret service of Henry VIII and sent off to track down a machine-gun in Scotland. If the author can get away with a machine-gun in the 16th century, so can we...

With it shooting 1 shot per second, it is pretty much as close to a machine-gun as you can get in this game. :wp

Just more two weeks and we'll talk about a tank in POTC xD
The musket is already really lethal. As I said to Pieter, I will disable it in some parts of the quest following this one. :rolleyes:

Bartolomeu, the gunsmith store is now open:

nr 1 the rifle from yesterday, for reference only
nr 2 & 3 can be provided with telescope
nr 4 & 5 can be retextured for a more rustic look

What do you choose?

Attachments

• rifles.jpg
    rifles.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 114
Back