• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Elessarias Arcadia Xebec

Rider88

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
I have 2 modeling projects and decided to take a converting project although. It is 26 guns xebec Arcadia from PotBS made by Elessaria. She's already in 3d max and properly scaled.
I think she would be a great replacement for XebecVML. Here are the screens:

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

Btw, she is quite heavy on polygons. Around 80k without guns and cab, so it is a good idea to make her a quest ship IMHO.

RELEASED

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tyf08l0o01ktawc/_GwA0GPpTE/Arcadia_v1.1.7z

I'm not a Xebec person, but I really like this one. I would actually capture and use this one. Nice work Mate!!!

MK

Same for me... That thing's hull is built like a knife. If you're up for some experimenting you might want to try the invisible boom method I suggested in the pinned spanker thread. The behavior of lateen sails really ruins the xebecs for a lot of players. Either way, I still love it.

Last time Rider88 was online was back in May, so I've no idea what's going on with this ship... :shrug

Hi, Armada!

I've been here all the time, just didn't have enough free time to finish my projects. I've married a few month ago and now I'm in Poland on 3 months job contract. I can't model anything here, because my laptop is not suitable even for old modeling stuff such as 3d studio max 8... I started to model a French 24 guns indiaman of 1690 but it is a nightmare to work on such a slow machine. I'm going to return to Ukraine at the end of October and then I'll continue my work.
BTW, Arcadia is almost ready for conversion along with Saint Peter snow. The Geunieerde Provincien is on early stages at the moment, so it will take a couple of months to finish her.

With best regards, Rider88

Congratulations mate, real life always comes first! :dance

I am really looking forward to seeing this little Xebec finished, when you get the time of course, she is truly a beautiful boat!

Ahoy mate, glad to hear you're still around! Congratulations, too. :cheers

It's good to know your projects haven't been abandoned. I look forward to seeing the results!

An update ;)

A6.jpg
A7.jpg
A8.jpg
A9.jpg
A10.jpg
A11.jpg

she's almost finished at the moment. But there's a small problem I've stuck with. The matter is that I can't make a 'battle sails' mode on this xebec. There are only two options: all sails hoisted or no sails at all, but I can't force her to take off a mainsail, for example, and leave others hoisted... At first I thought that names of yards and their locators are responsible for that, but all my experiments with names had no result. There were no such problems with square rigged ships, I converted before, and single-masted Lyon Hoy worked just fine... So please, somebody help me with that. Thanks in advance.

BTW, as far as I understand, COAS ftp is not working at the moment, so where should I upload my files?

The usual naming convention for battle sails is rey_a1-2-3-4 are raised for battle sails. Rey_b & c & d stay out. The old Xebecs and the Dilligente tartane use this system.

You now need to set up your own file storage place. I use Dropbox.

Hmmm, interesting... Right now the mainsail yard is named rey_a3... And she doesn't raise the sail in battle mode... Well, I'll try to check it out for some mistakes maybe. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Good to see you back! The ship looks great in-game. :onya

One thing I noticed... the gunports look as though they need their normals smoothed out.

Good to see you back! The ship looks great in-game. :onya

One thing I noticed... The gun ports look as though they need their normals smoothed out.

Actually, there's no problem with normals. This visual effect is created because the gun port has two different textures, one texture on the front and rear of the port and another on its side. And these textures are slightly different in colour. I'm not really good in texturing so I left them unchanged.

So beautiful! :onya

Rider88 needs the Storm Modeler ribbon added to his avatar.

MK
Quite right. :cheers

Actually, there's no problem with normals. This visual effect is created because the gun port has two different textures, one texture on the front and rear of the port and another on its side. And these textures are slightly different in colour. I'm not really good in texturing so I left them unchanged.
Perhaps I could have phrased it better. It's the normal angles (or smoothing groups?) along the edges of the gunport sides that don't look right to me.
The edges look jagged, much like the outer hull in the earlier images you posted at the top of the page.

Very nice. Only one thing: in the following screenshot, the main sail seems to be set at a different angle from the other sails.
A7.jpg

All of the sails should always be at an identical angle. If you see anything different in engravings or paintings, the xebec is running downwind, and specialized sail settings like that are outside the scope of this game engine.

Back